Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #406
steff

Hello from France
What do you think about the SRS from MORE ?
Maybe it's the opportunity to switch on SRS ?

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Sh...1_2_7686_2.htm

Steff

steff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #407
sevensandeights

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff View Post
Hello from France
What do you think about the SRS from MORE ?
Maybe it's the opportunity to switch on SRS ?

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Sh...1_2_7686_2.htm

Steff
My project is just a rolling chassis at this point so I don't know how it rides. Instructions were good and everything went as planned. I used the kit with the through the frame shackle hanger. I had to email them a few times and they were very helpful.

As for the Rocky Road shock mounts - I checked their website last night and it indicates the mounts are 2" longer than widetrack style mounts and 8-10" longer than the narrowtrack mounts. I wonder if those numbers take into account that the narrowtrack mount lower mount is on the u-bolt plate and not the axle tube?
sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #408
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Hopefully I didn't miss this somewhere along the build, but I am working on putting YJ spring on my CJ. The rear springs went on beautifully. I mean, I did have to get out the sawsall and grinder a bit to persuade things to come off, but the new rears pretty much just bolted on, using the YJ shackles. My question is on the fronts, I know that on the front of the CJ, I will have to move the front hanger forward to the rivet, but what about the REAR of the Front spring. The "spring hanger?" Is that wide enough to accommodate the 2.5" wide YJ springs or do I have to cut those off and weld new spring hangers?
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #409
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
Hopefully I didn't miss this somewhere along the build, but I am working on putting YJ spring on my CJ. The rear springs went on beautifully. I mean, I did have to get out the sawsall and grinder a bit to persuade things to come off, but the new rears pretty much just bolted on, using the YJ shackles. My question is on the fronts, I know that on the front of the CJ, I will have to move the front hanger forward to the rivet, but what about the REAR of the Front spring. The "spring hanger?" Is that wide enough to accommodate the 2.5" wide YJ springs or do I have to cut those off and weld new spring hangers?
They will fit, but if I remember correctly you need YJ bushings. The CJ bushings have a wider shoulder/flange to make up for the 1/2" difference between front and rear springs(on a CJ) because the spring hangers are the same width front and rear.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #410
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
but the new rears pretty much just bolted on, using the YJ shackles.
Why did you use YJ shackles? The rears were already 2 1/2" springs so your Jeep shackles should have still worked. (unless you were changing length of course)
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #411
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Why did you use YJ shackles? The rears were already 2 1/2" springs so your Jeep shackles should have still worked. (unless you were changing length of course)
I went with the YJ shackles out of neccessity for the moment. I ended up having to cut off the old springs and cut through the CJ shackle bolts. I had the YJ shackles, bushing and bolts given to me with the springs, so instead of making the 5th run to the hardware store for the day, I threw on the YJ shackles. I believe they are an inch longer that the CJ shackles Eye to Eye. (correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe that I got a half in of lift. I have to say though, just with changing out the rears, the ride is amazing. My fronts are definitely on the short list. I have just been a little gun-shy about it because I was not sure about the rear spring hanger on the fronts, and now I need to get new U-bolt plates as well.
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #412
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Matt, 85LaredoCJ7 and anyone else who has swapped over to the Old Man Emu springs...

How has the lift been thus far? How has your drivelines been both front and back when you have been in 4WD and flexed? Any chatter or problems? No transfer case drop, correct? It is because of this thread that I am going to buy and install this very same setup you did Matt for my pal's "86. My only difference is I am going to use Crabtree shackles and shackle hangers as they are by far the best out there (I have them on my CJ). I have been speaking with Jim at OK4WD and he has been fantastic to speak with. Very knowledgable and willing to answer my questions. I will be ordering everything from him.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #413
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

mvigo,

I'm still convinced the OME YJ suspension is the best setup you can put on a CJ. As you know from following the thread, I'm running the stock shackle hangers, stock steering components, and stock driveshafts. No tranny, or t-case drop.

I've had zero problems with mine, and the Ol' Girl handles better than she did new.

I often have to bite my tongue when we get our weekly "What's the best lift..." threads, because opinions vary so much, but I honestly feel the OME springs are the best money can buy.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #414
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
mvigo,

I'm still convinced the OME YJ suspension is the best setup you can put on a CJ. As you know from following the thread, I'm running the stock shackle hangers, stock steering components, and stock driveshafts. No tranny, or t-case drop.

I've had zero problems with mine, and the Ol' Girl handles better than she did new.

I often have to bite my tongue when we get our weekly "What's the best lift..." threads, because opinions vary so much, but I honestly feel the OME springs are the best money can buy.

Matt
I figured you would say as much. I was pretty convinced to go with BDS until I re-read this thread. Another thought process I am going to try at first is to leave off the steering stabilizer and see how it drives without it. Do you have an opinion? I am looking forward to installing this on my pal's CJ and, to be perfectly honest, I am now jealous of you all! Thanks for the reply...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #415
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My opinion on the steering stabilizer is that the AMC engineers put them on for a reason.

Since I don't claim to know more than they did, I think it's a necessary item, but I don't do extreme wheeling.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #416
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I agree with Matt on the OME set up and the stabilizer. I don't think there is a better lift out there for the CJ.

I did not use a t-case drop because I think they look terrible. My rear d-shaft is stock, my front is a Curtis Tatton 2" diameter. It could be a little longer than stock, but the stock shaft was fine while it was on the Jeep. I do not have any driveline vibrations that I can feel anyway. The crazy thing about the OME leafs is you will be hitting metal to metal somewhere before the leaf reaches its max flex.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #417
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I know for sure the front YJ leafs are longer than the CJ. I went to a YJ shackle due to the extra inch on the front so they wouldn't buckle under flex and to just give them some breathing room. It just seemed like the right thing to do since it is a YJ conversion for the most part. I wouldn't go any longer than an OE YJ length shackle though.
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #418
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Can anyone weigh in on if the Crabtree hangers will work with an M.O.R.E hd steering box bracket?
RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #419
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderCJ7 View Post
Can anyone weigh in on if the Crabtree hangers will work with an M.O.R.E hd steering box bracket?
That I do not know...but what I do know is I had to modify my driver side hanger to work with my HD steering box bracket.
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #420
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
That I do not know...but what I do know is I had to modify my driver side hanger to work with my HD steering box bracket.
Works on mine, just perfect...I didn't need to modify the Crabtree hangers or the MORE bracket.
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.