Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 20 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 1038 Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM
mtrdud
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 184
OME Install

Well everything was going good. Got to the last side (LF) and realized that the spring plate was the same as the (RF) thus I had provisions for a big and small U-bolt which IS NOT needed on that side. Called Quadratec and custmer service sent it out to ARB who is going to send me a "warranty replacement". Well I was already going to do brakes all around so this gave me a chance to do this. Hopefully the plate will be here next week.

My question is to those who have done this: Will the sway bar arms reach OK? I replaced the bushings in them and I was wondering if there is a problem in the length after the lift. Do I need longer ones?

mtrdud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #287 of 1038 Old 12-24-2011, 04:25 PM
TrebleHook
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdud View Post
Well everything was going good. Got to the last side (LF) and realized that the spring plate was the same as the (RF) thus I had provisions for a big and small U-bolt which IS NOT needed on that side. Called Quadratec and custmer service sent it out to ARB who is going to send me a "warranty replacement". Well I was already going to do brakes all around so this gave me a chance to do this. Hopefully the plate will be here next week.

My question is to those who have done this: Will the sway bar arms reach OK? I replaced the bushings in them and I was wondering if there is a problem in the length after the lift. Do I need longer ones?
Congrats...but sorry about the spring plate. That sucks. The wait might kill you.

My stock sway arms fit, but I got longer ones to improve the angle of the sway bar....it won't matter much.

If you plan to wheel it, you'll need longer brake lines. I posted about mine recently.

Good luck and post some pics!

Cheers,
TrebleHook

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline  
post #288 of 1038 Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdud View Post
My question is to those who have done this: Will the sway bar arms reach OK? I replaced the bushings in them and I was wondering if there is a problem in the length after the lift. Do I need longer ones?
If you went with the 2.5" YJ lift, the stock sway bar arms will be fine.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
ShimReversal.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now  
post #289 of 1038 Old 12-25-2011, 02:54 PM
mtrdud
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 184
Spring Plate/Spacer

Matt,

In looking at your sway bar mount I see that you have a spacer as the stock spring plate does. My spring plates have screw in type mounts that have built in spacers. I guess that has been changed since yours was put on. I can't get pics at the moment but I will post some later on.
mtrdud is offline  
post #290 of 1038 Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler
 
LargeAl's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Byron, GA
Posts: 145
@TrebleHook...

After I did my tie rod flip and replaced the stock tie rod and drag link with the Big Daddy HD set I had a problem with my steering stablizer bracket contacting the Dana 30 diff cover. Looking at one of your pics it looks like you might have had the same issue?...or is that scuff from a prior issue? If it was making contact were you able to make adjustments to overcome that?

Also, looking at the pic of the bracket on the other end of the stablizer what exactly holds it in place...does the leaf spring pack centering pin engage the bracket or does the compression of the u-bolts on the axle tube and spring plate hold it in place?

I'd also like to say thanks for all the great info that's been posted in this thread. The OME suspension is definitely on my list of things to do to my CJ sometime in the near future and this will certainly help simplify things.


Al
Attached Thumbnails
steering stablizer_diff cover.jpg   steering stablizer bracket.jpg  
LargeAl is offline  
post #291 of 1038 Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,701
Al,

Yes, the leaf-spring centering pin does engage the damper bracket.

I don't have the HD tie rod and link, but my damper still rubbed the pumpkin slightly with the bracket in the stock position. My solution was to flip the bracket 180 degrees. This allowed me to rotate the damper toward the tie rod just enough to clear the diff.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
SteeringShockInstalled.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now  
post #292 of 1038 Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 AM
TrebleHook
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
@TrebleHook...

After I did my tie rod flip and replaced the stock tie rod and drag link with the Big Daddy HD set I had a problem with my steering stablizer bracket contacting the Dana 30 diff cover. Looking at one of your pics it looks like you might have had the same issue?...or is that scuff from a prior issue? If it was making contact were you able to make adjustments to overcome that?

Also, looking at the pic of the bracket on the other end of the stablizer what exactly holds it in place...does the leaf spring pack centering pin engage the bracket or does the compression of the u-bolts on the axle tube and spring plate hold it in place?

I'd also like to say thanks for all the great info that's been posted in this thread. The OME suspension is definitely on my list of things to do to my CJ sometime in the near future and this will certainly help simplify things.

Al

The rubbing was the result of me not thinking. I just had the bracket in the wrong place (too far towards the pumpkin). I adjusted it towards the driver's side...no rubbing. I think Matt's solution is better.

Like Matt said, the bracket sits under the leaf spring pack.

As for the great info...that's all Matt. I couldn't have done mine without this thread and just wanted to add what I could....

Cheers,
TrebleHook

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline  
post #293 of 1038 Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,701
Hey Treble,

Thanks for the kind words.

BTW, I just saw your steering damper bracket solution. Very nice!!

I also like the U-bolt skid plates you have. I need to fab up something like that.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now  
post #294 of 1038 Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler
 
LargeAl's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Byron, GA
Posts: 145
Both Matt and Erik did their homework and came up with a great list of what you'd need to complete the OME suspension install (See post's #64 and #68)

But after reading through this great thread what I couldn't seem to find was which OME stablizer kit was used. Matt had mentioned the "YJ" kit so after a little searching I found an OME YJ part number "OMESD40". Do a search and it will come up at several retailers for about $79.00.

What I couldn't determine was if either of the stabilizer mount brackets (axle tube/spring plate side or passenger tie rod side) came with the kit. I didn't see them in any of the kit pictures and the product description only adds "Original mounts - for ease of installation"...not really sure what they're trying to say there.

So...for any of you guys that have already done the install I'd like to know if you used the stabilzer brackets that were already on your Jeep, if they came with the stabilizer or leaf spring kit, or you fabricated your own.

Grassyazz, Al
LargeAl is offline  
post #295 of 1038 Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 PM
TrebleHook
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
Both Matt and Erik did their homework and came up with a great list of what you'd need to complete the OME suspension install (See post's #64 and #68)

But after reading through this great thread what I couldn't seem to find was which OME stablizer kit was used. Matt had mentioned the "YJ" kit so after a little searching I found an OME YJ part number "OMESD40". Do a search and it will come up at several retailers for about $79.00.

What I couldn't determine was if either of the stabilizer mount brackets (axle tube/spring plate side or passenger tie rod side) came with the kit. I didn't see them in any of the kit pictures and the product description only adds "Original mounts - for ease of installation"...not really sure what they're trying to say there.

So...for any of you guys that have already done the install I'd like to know if you used the stabilzer brackets that were already on your Jeep, if they came with the stabilizer or leaf spring kit, or you fabricated your own.

Grassyazz, Al
Al -

The OME "kit" will be the shock and necessary hardware to install the stabilizer on a Wrangler - which is eye-to-eye. Your CJ is EYE (at the driver's side spring) and POST at the bracket on the tie-rod.

In order to use the OME eye-to-eye stabilizer, you'll have to convert your CJ set-up. What I am saying (or trying to say) is that the hardware that comes with the OME "kit" is basically worthless. The OME stabilizer does not come with any brackets -- BUT -- you'll be able to use your stock brackets...with some creativity.

Check our my and Matt's solutions in the posts above.

Does that help?

Cheers,
TrebleHook

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline  
post #296 of 1038 Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
85LaredoCJ7
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,879
Thanks again for the hookup treble......
85LaredoCJ7 is offline  
post #297 of 1038 Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
TrebleHook
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Thanks again for the hookup treble......
It's in the mail!

Cheers,
TrebleHook

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline  
post #298 of 1038 Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler
 
LargeAl's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Byron, GA
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleHook View Post
Al -

The OME "kit" will be the shock and necessary hardware to install the stabilizer on a Wrangler - which is eye-to-eye. Your CJ is EYE (at the driver's side spring) and POST at the bracket on the tie-rod.

In order to use the OME eye-to-eye stabilizer, you'll have to convert your CJ set-up. What I am saying (or trying to say) is that the hardware that comes with the OME "kit" is basically worthless. The OME stabilizer does not come with any brackets -- BUT -- you'll be able to use your stock brackets...with some creativity.

Check our my and Matt's solutions in the posts above.

Does that help?

Cheers,
TrebleHook
TrebleHook...thanks, it helps reconfirm what I've basically gathered from looking all over the internet, the OME hardware is like you said "worthless" for my installation. My old stabilizer setup had the "post" type bracket on the diff side and a bracket u-clamped to the axle tube on the spring side. After "upgrading" to the HD tie rod that system wouldn't work. Looking at y'alls pics of the "eye" bracket sandwiched between the axle tube and spring pack would solve my installation problems and be an easy fix.

It doesn't look like it would be to difficult to fab a bracket similar to that...was just looking for an easier way.

Thanks again for the explanation!

Al
LargeAl is offline  
post #299 of 1038 Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
mtrdud
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 184
Front Shackle Hangers

Well I got everything mounted up and I noticed my front shackles were "flexed" way forward. I used the stock mounting holes and after looking back at some other posts I realized the hangers should be moved more forward. My question which holes? Do I use the front ones where the rivets are? Matt, your pics are good but I couldn't exactly tell which holes you used?

Thanks
mtrdud is offline  
post #300 of 1038 Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
TrebleHook
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 341
I did the same thing and then took the time to remove the rivets and hangers forward. Worth the effort....

Hope the pics help. Sorry for the size.

Cheers,
TrebleHook
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0938.jpg   IMG_0937.jpg   IMG_0939.jpg   IMG_0942.jpg  

1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2.5" suspension lift on 33x12.5" tires cyjeeper Jeep CJ Forum 13 03-23-2015 07:28 AM
Trapshooter's BDS 2.5" Suspension Install Thread - Photo Heavy Trapshooter Jeep CJ Forum 122 06-19-2014 10:32 AM
Issues that may occur with suspension lift install? imtheant Jeep CJ Forum 1 06-30-2008 06:47 PM
cj7 2" suspension lift with 32" or 33" tire pics? jojo99 Jeep CJ Forum 12 11-18-2007 10:40 PM
CJ5 With 33's on 4" Suspension and 1" Body Jeff5886 Jeep CJ Forum 11 07-02-2007 10:48 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome