Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #286
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

OME Install

Well everything was going good. Got to the last side (LF) and realized that the spring plate was the same as the (RF) thus I had provisions for a big and small U-bolt which IS NOT needed on that side. Called Quadratec and custmer service sent it out to ARB who is going to send me a "warranty replacement". Well I was already going to do brakes all around so this gave me a chance to do this. Hopefully the plate will be here next week.

My question is to those who have done this: Will the sway bar arms reach OK? I replaced the bushings in them and I was wondering if there is a problem in the length after the lift. Do I need longer ones?

mtrdud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #287
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdud View Post
Well everything was going good. Got to the last side (LF) and realized that the spring plate was the same as the (RF) thus I had provisions for a big and small U-bolt which IS NOT needed on that side. Called Quadratec and custmer service sent it out to ARB who is going to send me a "warranty replacement". Well I was already going to do brakes all around so this gave me a chance to do this. Hopefully the plate will be here next week.

My question is to those who have done this: Will the sway bar arms reach OK? I replaced the bushings in them and I was wondering if there is a problem in the length after the lift. Do I need longer ones?
Congrats...but sorry about the spring plate. That sucks. The wait might kill you.

My stock sway arms fit, but I got longer ones to improve the angle of the sway bar....it won't matter much.

If you plan to wheel it, you'll need longer brake lines. I posted about mine recently.

Good luck and post some pics!

Cheers,
TrebleHook
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #288
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdud View Post
If you went with the 2.5" YJ lift, the stock sway bar arms will be fine.

Matt
shimreversal.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #289
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

Spring Plate/Spacer

Matt,

In looking at your sway bar mount I see that you have a spacer as the stock spring plate does. My spring plates have screw in type mounts that have built in spacers. I guess that has been changed since yours was put on. I can't get pics at the moment but I will post some later on.
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #290
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

@TrebleHook...

After I did my tie rod flip and replaced the stock tie rod and drag link with the Big Daddy HD set I had a problem with my steering stablizer bracket contacting the Dana 30 diff cover. Looking at one of your pics it looks like you might have had the same issue?...or is that scuff from a prior issue? If it was making contact were you able to make adjustments to overcome that?

Also, looking at the pic of the bracket on the other end of the stablizer what exactly holds it in place...does the leaf spring pack centering pin engage the bracket or does the compression of the u-bolts on the axle tube and spring plate hold it in place?

I'd also like to say thanks for all the great info that's been posted in this thread. The OME suspension is definitely on my list of things to do to my CJ sometime in the near future and this will certainly help simplify things.

Al
steering-stablizer_diff-cover.jpg   steering-stablizer-bracket.jpg  
LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #291
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Al,

Yes, the leaf-spring centering pin does engage the damper bracket.

I don't have the HD tie rod and link, but my damper still rubbed the pumpkin slightly with the bracket in the stock position. My solution was to flip the bracket 180 degrees. This allowed me to rotate the damper toward the tie rod just enough to clear the diff.

Matt
steeringshockinstalled.jpg  
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #292
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
@TrebleHook...

After I did my tie rod flip and replaced the stock tie rod and drag link with the Big Daddy HD set I had a problem with my steering stablizer bracket contacting the Dana 30 diff cover. Looking at one of your pics it looks like you might have had the same issue?...or is that scuff from a prior issue? If it was making contact were you able to make adjustments to overcome that?

Also, looking at the pic of the bracket on the other end of the stablizer what exactly holds it in place...does the leaf spring pack centering pin engage the bracket or does the compression of the u-bolts on the axle tube and spring plate hold it in place?

I'd also like to say thanks for all the great info that's been posted in this thread. The OME suspension is definitely on my list of things to do to my CJ sometime in the near future and this will certainly help simplify things.

Al

The rubbing was the result of me not thinking. I just had the bracket in the wrong place (too far towards the pumpkin). I adjusted it towards the driver's side...no rubbing. I think Matt's solution is better.

Like Matt said, the bracket sits under the leaf spring pack.

As for the great info...that's all Matt. I couldn't have done mine without this thread and just wanted to add what I could....

Cheers,
TrebleHook
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
Unread 12-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #293
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey Treble,

Thanks for the kind words.

BTW, I just saw your steering damper bracket solution. Very nice!!

I also like the U-bolt skid plates you have. I need to fab up something like that.

Matt
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #294
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Both Matt and Erik did their homework and came up with a great list of what you'd need to complete the OME suspension install (See post's #64 and #68)

But after reading through this great thread what I couldn't seem to find was which OME stablizer kit was used. Matt had mentioned the "YJ" kit so after a little searching I found an OME YJ part number "OMESD40". Do a search and it will come up at several retailers for about $79.00.

What I couldn't determine was if either of the stabilizer mount brackets (axle tube/spring plate side or passenger tie rod side) came with the kit. I didn't see them in any of the kit pictures and the product description only adds "Original mounts - for ease of installation"...not really sure what they're trying to say there.

So...for any of you guys that have already done the install I'd like to know if you used the stabilzer brackets that were already on your Jeep, if they came with the stabilizer or leaf spring kit, or you fabricated your own.

Grassyazz, Al
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #295
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
Both Matt and Erik did their homework and came up with a great list of what you'd need to complete the OME suspension install (See post's #64 and #68)

But after reading through this great thread what I couldn't seem to find was which OME stablizer kit was used. Matt had mentioned the "YJ" kit so after a little searching I found an OME YJ part number "OMESD40". Do a search and it will come up at several retailers for about $79.00.

What I couldn't determine was if either of the stabilizer mount brackets (axle tube/spring plate side or passenger tie rod side) came with the kit. I didn't see them in any of the kit pictures and the product description only adds "Original mounts - for ease of installation"...not really sure what they're trying to say there.

So...for any of you guys that have already done the install I'd like to know if you used the stabilzer brackets that were already on your Jeep, if they came with the stabilizer or leaf spring kit, or you fabricated your own.

Grassyazz, Al
Al -

The OME "kit" will be the shock and necessary hardware to install the stabilizer on a Wrangler - which is eye-to-eye. Your CJ is EYE (at the driver's side spring) and POST at the bracket on the tie-rod.

In order to use the OME eye-to-eye stabilizer, you'll have to convert your CJ set-up. What I am saying (or trying to say) is that the hardware that comes with the OME "kit" is basically worthless. The OME stabilizer does not come with any brackets -- BUT -- you'll be able to use your stock brackets...with some creativity.

Check our my and Matt's solutions in the posts above.

Does that help?

Cheers,
TrebleHook
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #296
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Thanks again for the hookup treble......
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #297
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Thanks again for the hookup treble......
It's in the mail!

Cheers,
TrebleHook
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #298
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleHook View Post
Al -

The OME "kit" will be the shock and necessary hardware to install the stabilizer on a Wrangler - which is eye-to-eye. Your CJ is EYE (at the driver's side spring) and POST at the bracket on the tie-rod.

In order to use the OME eye-to-eye stabilizer, you'll have to convert your CJ set-up. What I am saying (or trying to say) is that the hardware that comes with the OME "kit" is basically worthless. The OME stabilizer does not come with any brackets -- BUT -- you'll be able to use your stock brackets...with some creativity.

Check our my and Matt's solutions in the posts above.

Does that help?

Cheers,
TrebleHook
TrebleHook...thanks, it helps reconfirm what I've basically gathered from looking all over the internet, the OME hardware is like you said "worthless" for my installation. My old stabilizer setup had the "post" type bracket on the diff side and a bracket u-clamped to the axle tube on the spring side. After "upgrading" to the HD tie rod that system wouldn't work. Looking at y'alls pics of the "eye" bracket sandwiched between the axle tube and spring pack would solve my installation problems and be an easy fix.

It doesn't look like it would be to difficult to fab a bracket similar to that...was just looking for an easier way.

Thanks again for the explanation!

Al
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #299
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

Front Shackle Hangers

Well I got everything mounted up and I noticed my front shackles were "flexed" way forward. I used the stock mounting holes and after looking back at some other posts I realized the hangers should be moved more forward. My question which holes? Do I use the front ones where the rivets are? Matt, your pics are good but I couldn't exactly tell which holes you used?

Thanks
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #300
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

I did the same thing and then took the time to remove the rivets and hangers forward. Worth the effort....

Hope the pics help. Sorry for the size.

Cheers,
TrebleHook
img_0938.jpg   img_0937.jpg   img_0939.jpg   img_0942.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.