Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 07-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
Rojo78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

I'm in the process of installing this very same lift on my CJ and I found out that OME DOES NOT make shocks that will work well with a CJ. Also I went ahead and got stock length YJ shackles (thats what the tech guy at 4wd recomended). I'm kinda hung up right now trying to install my front springs because the spring hangers (back side of the spring) are bent towards the driver side. Apparently the PO hit something sideways and knocked the axle to the left so I'm dealing with that fun. Good luck to anyone that takes this project on, the instructions make removing those rivets sound easy but it really wasn't. I'm not sure yet but I think I'm gonna have to do some grinding on the front differential so the inner passenger ubolt can go on.

Rojo78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Rojo,

You should have received one U-bolt that's about a 1/2" wider than the rest. That's the one that goes on the differential side of the front passenger spring. You shouldn't have to grind the diff.

If what you say about OME shocks is true, I find it ironic that OME markets their kits as a "suspension system". You know, all that hype about matching the springs and shocks to the specific vehicle...blah blah blah...

Apparently, they're still refining their "system" for the CJs.

On the bright side, I think I'm going to enjoy this setup when it's done. I put the wheels back on my rear-end and lowered the Jeep off the jack stands. Even without shocks, I can tell these springs have more flex and will deliver a smoother ride.

Of course, I haven't started on the fronts, yet, so my jeep looks like a 70's muscle car with the rear all jacked up and the nose almost touching the ground.

Good luck, and post pics when you get her put back together.

Matt
musclecar.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
Rojo78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

I do have that U-bolt thats wider than the others but there's a... I don't know how to describe it, brace or rib that is part of the differential that might be in the way. I don't know that for sure yet, I'm going to wait till I straighted out the spring hangers before I do any grinding.

I see what you are saying about the OME "suspension system" (they are quite proud of that), but I don't think they have made a suspension for the CJ's. I've looked all around and I can't really find anything difinative saying there is a CJ specific lift. Sorry, I just read that back and it sounded a little ******y but I swear I'm not trying to be, a ****** that is. I'm just wanna pass on whatever information I have learned.

//EDIT// Wow I can't believe they censored dush

I'm going to attempt to post a picture of the rear, I'm with you on that I think it looks B/A like a muscle car.
scaled-down.jpg  

Last edited by Rojo78CJ7; 07-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Censorship overkill maybe??
Rojo78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

I am planning on doing the same work on my CJ-5... so been keeping up with this thread. I have a question though... since rear CJ and YJ springs are the same width and length, are they the same springs? Or do the rear YJ springs flex better than the stock rear CJ springs?

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

commadore64,

The YJ springs made by Old Man Emu are suppose to have superior flex over the stock CJ springs.

I can't confirm that, yet, as I'm still working on it, but that's their claim.

I'm still waiting for my ex-buddy, Les at 4WD, to determine whether, or not, OME makes a shock that will work on the CJ.

What's funny is Les claimed to have "sold hundreds of these kits" and really tried to impress me with his knowledge about CJs. This morning it became clear he's BSing when he tried to tell me my shock mounts had been altered because my shocks "shouldn't require an eyelet at both ends". OK......

Anyway, I'm trying to get the fronts as far as I can go, today. Hopefully, I'll have a set of shocks that will work in a few days.

Matt
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
mvbrady
1986 CJ7 

I would contact www.rocky-road.com on the issue of wether the OME shocks work for a CJ or not...these guys seem to be the most knowledgeable reagrding putting an OME YJ kit on a CJ.

another 2 cents
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I did Bilstein 5100. Got the part numbers from ok4wd if you want them. I dig the stainless with the black rubber boot over the yellow OMEs.
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I'm interested in this kit, too. It sounds like the new front shackle hanger is mounted forward of the stock location. Does that mean the front axle is moved forward as well? If I moved my axle forward even one inch, the sway bar links would be grinding against the housing, and I happen to like my sway bar for the highway. How about driveshaft length? I want to know all this before I drop the money, which is kinda tight these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that Old Man Emu doesn't make any parts for a CJ. The catalogs sell kits with OME springs and their own hardware to convert YJ springs to CJ vehicles. That would explain the incompatible shocks.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #24
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

My kit is going as planned.....no problems yet. The front hangers mount about 1" farther forward than the OE ones because the YJ leaf is a little longer, about an inch. I don't think it will move the front axle that much farther forward, maybe .25-.50" at most. And I would use the OE YJ shackles due to the additional length of the leaf....which is what OK4wd recommends and sells with their kits. I picked mine up for free.....a wire brush and some chassis black and they looked new. And yes......the shocks should have eyelets at both ends.
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
I'm interested in this kit, too. It sounds like the new front shackle hanger is mounted forward of the stock location. Does that mean the front axle is moved forward as well? If I moved my axle forward even one inch, the sway bar links would be grinding against the housing, and I happen to like my sway bar for the highway. How about driveshaft length? I want to know all this before I drop the money, which is kinda tight these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that Old Man Emu doesn't make any parts for a CJ. The catalogs sell kits with OME springs and their own hardware to convert YJ springs to CJ vehicles. That would explain the incompatible shocks.
You are correct. If you call them and ask any questions about a CJ, they have no idea, unless you ask for TR Burris. If you want, I can give you a complete parts list, including the correct shocks (Bilsteins).
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
cbrogers

JKS the disconnect people used to sell OME. They had a nice kit that they put together. If you call them they can still probably still put together a list of all the part numbers you need.

They do make shocks for the CJ.

I believe that they are Part #N95. Have to go out to the garage in the AM and check for sure but they were designed to work with a 2" lift on the CJ.

Carl
cbrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Matt....nice original paint and decal CJ you have there.....here is mine before it went under the knife for the lift....still waiting to see the end result.
I will put up pics after the lift is on for a before and after comparison.

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Another day, another hold up....

You guys were absolutely correct. The stock front Cj shackles won't work with the wider YJ springs and conversion spacer because the bolts are too short. If you want to use the stock shackles in front, you need to buy (4) 1/2" x 4.5" bolts with nuts.

Also, if you want new bushings and sleeves all the way around , you need (2) sleeves per shackle, for a total of (8) sleeves. The kit from 4WD only came with (4) shackle sleeves. So you need to order (4) more.

Four bolts and sleeves are darn cheaper than buying new shackles, but the delays and cost of finding those parts probably make it a wash. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the OME YJ shackles.

My Ol' Girl is still in pieces in the garage, so I don't have much else to share. I hope to find the extra sleeves I need in town, tomorrow...I'm sure that will turn into a treasure hunt like everything else on this thing.

Last note for the evening: OME does make an appropriate shock for the CJ. Apparently, there was a part # mistake at 4WD, and that's why I received the wrong ones...so they say. Anyway, I'm supposed to get the correct ones on Monday or Tuesday.

Matt
shacklebolts.jpg   sleeve.jpg  
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Looking at the bags of OME bushings, are the extra 2 per bag for the hanger?
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, there are extra bushings for the hangers in those bags, but only one sleeve for the larger end of the spring.

My kit included (4) additional sleeves, in a separate hardware pack, that work for the small ends, but you need (8) total if you want new all the way around.

85LaredoCJ7, thanks, that's a fine Laredo you have, as well. What kind of surgery are you doing to her?

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.