Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #256
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice!! Not having to cut and punch the rivets is definitely a plus.

I can't wait to see the rest of it installed.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #257
David2012
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
Thanks, looks a little different now, I put family style bars on it and a safari top.

great conversion. did mine that way too and i love it. have any pics of your?
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #258
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Wow, this has turned into a nice thread!! I'm glad you guys are finding it useful. I wanted to update you on my suspension now that I've ran with it for a few months.

The exceptional ride quality hasn't changed, if anything it's gotten smoother as the springs and bushings have worked in a bit.

As for settling, there hasn't been any. The ground to top of wheel-well measurements remain exactly same as they were shortly after the install. There is absolutely no signs of the dreaded "Jeep Lean".

That's the peaches, here's the pits. The individual leafs on 3 of 4 of my springs shifted around slightly, causing them to have a slight vertical stagger, instead of stacking straight up and down. Although I had torqued the u-bolts to spec, upon inspection I found they had loosened considerably. So I straightened the leafs and re-torqued the u-bolts. One of the springs still wants to shift a little, but the other 3 are staying straight. I think this is a minor issue, but worth keeping an eye on.

Secondly, after putting about 3K miles on the current alignment, I decided I could use a little more caster in the steering. If you recall, my caster was 5 degrees positive after reversing the shims on the OME springs, which is at the low end of spec. The Jeep handled fine at this angle, but it returned to center a little slow for my tastes.

So, I replaced the OME shims with a set of Warrior 4 degree shims (the OME shims are 1.5-2 degrees) just a few days ago. BINGO!! Now, finally, I can honestly say the Ol' Girl rides and steers better than new. I can now casually drape one hand over the wheel and completely forget that I'm driving and just enjoy the ride.

Anyway, I still recommend this suspension whole-heartedly for any of you hoping to upgrade. It's my favorite mod to date on mine.

Matt
warriorshims.jpg  
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #259
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Matt,

Good read, good job with lots of info and pictures. Ive got a CJ7 with a 4" superlift, rides like a tank! Bought it this way, so I am wanting to get rid of the 35's and just have a 2.5 lift, and go with 32's. SOOOOO seein your not that far from me, ill just bring the jeep over and leave it a few days, and maybe your jeep and mine will swap parts real quick! Just wanted to say thanks for the info, I have been looking at the BDS setup, but after reading this I am seriously considering this route.

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #260
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Garry,

Thanks. The BDS also gets good reviews. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for swapping parts, you'll have to wrestle me for them, because none of these parts are going anywhere without a fight!

I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, neighbor.

Matt
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #261
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did this swap to my scrambler about 8 years ago and used the BDS yj 3.5 springs an a MORE shackle reversal and used confer shackles. I am running 33x12.50 on a 15x9 rim. It still rides great and handles great as well. Glad you all have had the same luck.
lavern23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #262
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Great info Matt. My wife thinks my 86 Cj needs new shocks. It is not to great on the washboard roads any more or maybe it is we are just getting older. I have been thinking about swapping in wrangler springs for a while now. Maybe I can talk her into new springs too. Were you in Victor in October this year? I sure saw a Cj like yours at the turn off to phantom canyon as we were up there checking out the Aspen trees changing. Bob
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #263
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bob,

Thanks, I'm glad you find the thread helpful.

It wasn't me in Victor, though that's certainly the type area you're likely to find me.

Matt
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #264
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Matt, how close are you to Durango or Valecito?
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #265
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Matt, how close are you to Durango or Valecito?
Not very, about 6-7 hours. Those places are in southwest Colorado, I'm central.

Matt
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #266
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Wow...farther than I thought.
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #267
peterbilt1
1979 CJ7 

ok guys this thread has been amazing, I am doing the yj conversion to my 1979 vj7 golden eagle. Thank you guys for taking the time and posting all this information. It has made my yj conversion experience a walk in the park.
I will post some pics and information on my experience, but i do believe you guys covered everything.
peterbilt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #268
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt1 View Post
ok guys this thread has been amazing, I am doing the yj conversion to my 1979 vj7 golden eagle. Thank you guys for taking the time and posting all this information. It has made my yj conversion experience a walk in the park.
I will post some pics and information on my experience, but i do believe you guys covered everything.
peterbilt1,

I'm very pleased this thread has been helpful to you, and I can't wait to see your rig with it's new legs!!

My suspension has just gotten better and better as it breaks in a little. What's interesting is I haven't realized the slightest bit of settling or sag, even though the ride has gotten smoother. As stated, I have had to straighten a slight stagger in the leafs, and re-torque the U-bolts, after about 3K miles, but they haven't moved since.

Matt
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #269
maloneyb
1979 CJ7 

Old Man Emu Shocks

Hope it hasn't been addressed before...

Just got an OME YJ to CJ suspension conversion kit for my 1979 CJ7 that's supposed to provide 2.5" - 3.0" of lift. The kit did not include shocks. I was planning on going with OME shocks. My question is with the model number for the shocks. I need heavy duty shocks due to hard top on back and V8 and winch up front. Do I need the N42 (front) and N56 (back) shocks?

Thank you!
maloneyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #270
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

YJ to CJ Kit

Well according to UPS tracking my stuff should be here tomorrow. Going with the OME Heavy kit from QUADRATEC and OME shocks. I also ordered shackles from Crabtree. My son should be here for Christmas next week and we are going to put it all on my Scrambler. Can't wait to see how much this improves the ride and stance. I have been a long time Landcruiser guy and OME is condiered top notch with Landcruiser enthusiasts. I will take some pics and post them up.

STEERING DAMPER - This is the only part I haven't figured out yet. Since OME doesn't make one for a CJ, what do you guys suggest? I hate to mix all that OME Yellow with something else.
mtrdud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.