Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #241
Falcon_CMH

Great thread I ate this info up gonna redo my suspension too but SOA with Dana 44s front and rear, ARB Lockers, Bilstein Shocks for sure, BigDaddy Tie Rod and drag link, and from all this info OME springs heavy all around like you did. I want the lift to be as small as possible so not sure of the shackles but I wll be lucky to keep the lift at 5" or less which is gonna require steering, brake lines, etc extra work to do this right from my research. I have my hands out to buy a Dana 44 from a 1976 CJ-7 still looking for a Waggy Dana 44. Once I get these I can start collecting all the other parts no kits for me all parts. I am mechanically inclined but I have never fabed before I wanna learn now is the time. This is my first Jeep a 1980 CJ-7 and I wanna do it right. Thanks again for all the info I have learned a ton from this thread.

Falcon_CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #242
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Welcome to the best hobbby, this forum has some of the best guys who help out all the time. I am going to report what I find out from Bilstein.
wkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #243
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

SHOCKS - From the Bilstein guy...

Since your shocks use an eye-eye mounting system you have a lot of options. They are all sold by compressed and extended lengths so you would need to measure and tell us what would work. The shocks that you can choose from are 5100 series, 5125, or 5150 shocks.

Thank you,

D. Drew Ingram
Sales/Customer Service
Allshocks.com | Allsprings.com
800-280-6966 ext 3
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #244
sevensandeights

I have a few questions about this swap. I want to put the CSO36R springs in the front and rear of my Scrambler. I plan to do a shackle reversal as well in the front.

As I understand it, the OME springs are not a military wrap style spring (they used to be but are no longer made that way). If they were a military wrap spring then it would matter what end was the shackle eye vs. the spring hanger eye. Since they don't have a military wrap main leaf, why do you have to turn the shim around 180 degrees? Why can't you just turn the entire spring around 180 degrees?

Also, I am putting in a WT Dana 30 front axle from a 1986 CJ7. It has the shock mount welded to the axle tube. Can I just use a rear CJ U-bolt plate then since I only need one stud for the sway bar mount?
sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #245
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

I am not sure why you have to switch the springs and the plate. As for the u-bolt plate the yj as far as I know is just wider and so you should be able to use the rear plate in the front, just make sure you have the studs at the right location. you can also just buy front YJ plates.
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #246
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The spring plate needs to have a wider spacing for the u-bolt that goes over the differential center section, which is on the drivers side on a yj but the pass on a CJ. You could mill the 2 holes over 1/4" in opposite directions, or get a different plate.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #247
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
As I understand it, the OME springs are not a military wrap style spring (they used to be but are no longer made that way). If they were a military wrap spring then it would matter what end was the shackle eye vs. the spring hanger eye. Since they don't have a military wrap main leaf, why do you have to turn the shim around 180 degrees? Why can't you just turn the entire spring around 180 degrees?
I don't have my CJ here to confirm this, but if memory serves, the bushing are different sizes. The shackle ends have a smaller diameter bushing, so there is a corresponding smaller hole in the shackle end of springs.

This pic of the bushing kit seems to confirm it.

Also, as stated, the rear CJ spring plates will not work on the front without modification to the hole pattern, which may jeopardize the strength of the plate. I'd buy the correct plates.

Matt
18040-lg.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #248
sevensandeights

Thanks Matt - I knew the stock springs had different sized brushing but didn't know about the OME springs.

Since I am going to do the shackle reversal I shouldn't have to change anything.

I will have to re-read the early pages of this thread to see what the differences in the YJ front and CJ rear spring plates are.

Last edited by sevensandeights; 09-27-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #249
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

seven,

Here's what the front passenger side on my '81 CJ7 looks like with the YJ springs installed. As you can see, the inside u-bolt is wider since it mounts over the differential casing. The outside U-bolt is the standard size as the rest.

The rear CJ spring plates will be drilled for 2 standard u-bolts, so you'd have to re-drill one of them to accommodate this one "odd-ball" u-bolt.

I hope that's clear.

Matt
grindafter-copy.jpg  
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #250
sevensandeights

Thanks - that makes sense.

I should be able to use a rear CJ spring plate for the driver's side front - I have an extra set laying around anyway.

For the passenger side, I should be able to use a YJ driver's side since I only need one mounting stud in the front for the sway bar. The YJ driver's side spring should have a mounting stud on the outside rear with the wide set holes on the inside. If I flip it 180 degrees, the wide set holes will still be on the inside but the mounting stud will be on the outside front front.

EDIT: If the YJ front spring plant has the mounting stud in the front (for the sway bar as opposed to the shock) then disregard the above! If I flip it 180 degrees, then the stud would be in the back and obviously that wouldn't work.

I am likely going to just slot the rear CJ spring plate. Every aftermarket plate I have seen has slotted holes so I am not too concerned about "weakening" the plate.

Last edited by sevensandeights; 09-27-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #251
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Great thread! I have the OME kit as well and will hopefully be getting around to putting my chassis together shortly. Definitely some info here that will be helpful. I've actually had my kit since about January and I've noticed a few differences between mine and the ones shown. My kit came complete with shackle hangers and new brake lines. I also didn't have any problems with the shocks, they sent the right ones. Maybe they have changed the mounts since I got my kit, but mine look like this:

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #252
jeepmor

You will not regret the OME suspension. I have Toyota 4runner springs on my 84 CJ7, LOVE IT. The OME shocks are the best I've found yet. You can bonzai on washboard gravel roads like there's no washboard. Had OME on my wife's previous 85 4runner too. (it got stolen or we'd still have it.) It was pretty awesome how it handled, seriously, it was freakishly good.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #253
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey Jered,

Those shackle mounts look bomb-proof. But, I'm curious what that extra vertical tab is for, or how that's going to mount.

Keep us informed when you get around to the install.

Matt
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #254
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

From the looks of it Matt, those tabs on the side are an extra mounting point to the side of the frame. Hopefully I'll be getting on this in the next couple of weeks, so I'll post pictures when I get there.

Jered
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #255
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I dug my frame out to do some work so I brought the shackle mount along to mock it.

It sets so you can bolt it to the original mounts, has a large hole so you dont have to cut the rivet off, and then another hole up front. So When these puppies are bolted up they will be held on by 4 bolts

Jered

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.