Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #226
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

now that would be funny wouldn't it? if only I knew Tim better!

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #227
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
MVIGO: Did you get your 16" wheels yet? Mine just came in today!!! :-)
Damn't you guys.......I havn't bought anything yet.
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #228
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Hey guys - I gotta tell you, this thread is amazing. I have a 79 cj5 that needs these springs and this will make my jpb so much easier. If I may I have a couple questions: If I am just running a V8 in the front with no winch do you think I need to heavy rear springs on the front? I don't have a sway bar in this one (got it that way) what would you reccomend? Last, I also do not have a steering stabilizer. I have seen the brackers for the tie rod but what does it mount to on the plate side? Does mount to the plate or a special connector.

Tim, Matt, Eric and all the others....THANKS
wkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #229
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

I didn't use the heavies and it's just fine. V8 no winch here.

I think there is a plate with a stud on it that sandwiches between the spring pack and the spring perch on the axle for the steering stabilizer.

Spent the better part of the day last Saturday pounding on the ol girl pretty hard. Me and a buddy and a couple .22s out shooting squirrels on back roads, four wheeler trails and old logging roads. This suspension ROCKS.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #230
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

If it were mine, even though you don't have a winch, doesn't mean you won't at some point.....so I would go heavy rears.

On another note, when I get more than a few minutes of free time, I will gather all of my part numbers for a final list.

Like Eastman said, there is a bracket with a mount on it that sandwiches between the spring pack and spring pad.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #231
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys I will look for one of those brackets from ok4wd or somewhere. Yeah a full list would be AWESOME. Why did you go with the shock extenders? I have welded brackets on mine. should I get the extenders for the ones you got? Thoughts on the SWAY BAR? I don't think my old CJ had one, But if it helps with stability I want it.

Wish I wass wheelin and shootin. I used to go out with my dad and shoot wood chucks out in the Fields in PA. I miss those days , 22-250.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #232
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Oh yeah - The heacy crab tree hangers - do they mount into the rivet or onto the bumber bolt? just wondering if anyone put them on.
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #233
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I only went with the extended shock mounts due to the Bilstein shocks being a little bit to long. If you go with the Bilsteins, you may have to as well. Although, OE mounts were bolted to the frame, and my lower mounts are on the axle tube. I am assuming your lower mounts are on the spring plate. Matt is a good one to ask about that because his is similar to yours.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #234
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

wkglenn,

Thanks for the kind words.

You won't need shock extenders, if you buy the OME N56 shocks.

Yes, the lower shocks mount to the spring plates.

I would recommend a sway bar and a steering damper, if you take your rig on pavement. These ol' heaps aren't exactly go-carts around curves, and both of those items will help.

Matt
shockon2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #235
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

So what is the opinion on the Bilstein 5100 vs the Nitro OME N56 shocks?
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #236
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The Bilstein's probably look cooler.

Actually, that's a good question. I'm very pleased with the ride of the OME's, as I'm sure Tim is with the Bilstein's. I've only had the Bilstein's on larger pickups, so I can't comment on how they compare for the CJ.

Matt
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #237
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkglenn View Post
So what is the opinion on the Bilstein 5100 vs the Nitro OME N56 shocks?
As Matt said, I too have experience with the Bilsteins on full size trucks. I have them on my Dodge CTD right now and they have been great. When I bought the suspension for my Dodge from Carli Suspension, it was or may still be the only shock they use. I guess when you are launching a 9500lb truck 6 or 8 feet in the air at the dunes for testing and they are holding up, they must be ok. I like the looks of them as well. I am sure you would be happy with either of them. As far as ride goes in the Jeep with the Bilsteins, it seems good to me. I think more of it has to do with the leaf springs you choose, the shocks will just compliment those characteristics.
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #238
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I will buzz Bilstein and ask them in they have a shock that will fit the factory mounts. Mine are welded to the frame like matts and I do not want to get into cutting them off and bolting new ones on.

As for springs, Matt what did you put on?

ONE FAVOR PLEASE!! I need a couple pictures of how the sway bar mounts on the frame. my 79 did not have it, but I found one in a salvage yard. My problem is I have no idea how it mounts up to the frame. Guy said the fram should have holes. I am guessing where it goes, just want exact location from a picture. The Chilton guide did not have a location. THANKS I will post a few pictures of my ride.

bill
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #239
wkglenn
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I will buzz Bilstein and ask them in they have a shock that will fit the factory mounts. Mine are welded to the frame like matts and I do not want to get into cutting them off and bolting new ones on.

As for springs, Matt what did you put on?

ONE FAVOR PLEASE!! I need a couple pictures of how the sway bar mounts on the frame. my 79 did not have it, but I found one in a salvage yard. My problem is I have no idea how it mounts up to the frame. Guy said the fram should have holes. I am guessing where it goes, just want exact location from a picture. The Chilton guide did not have a location. THANKS I will post a few pictures of my ride.

bill
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #240
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

wkglenn,

I used the heavy rears all the way around.

As for the sway mounts, see if you can figure it out from some of pics I've already posted. If not, it will be a few days before I can take pics, as my Jeep is up at hunting camp.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.