Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

605K views 1K replies 179 participants last post by  80cj 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I'll be tackling this install on my 1981 CJ7 258, today, and would appreciate any tips I can get. I got it from 4WD.com

It appears the rear end is pretty simple....space the brake line and bolt everything on.

The fronts are more involved, since I have to do some grinding to install new shackle hangers, but I've got a fair handle on that.

I'm most concerned about drivability issues, afterwards. I went with the 2.5" package because I wanted to avoid castor and driveshaft problems. I know shimming to create the correct angles isn't difficult, but it seems kinda band-aid-ish to me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from any of you with experience with this kit.

Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#345 ·
Steering Damper

Matt,

I was in Tractor Supply today and I had the "sleeve" sent with the stabilizer as a size reference with me. It looks like you used the 5/8" size fence post mount and wouldn't you know it they were out of them. Anyway I see how you made it and it looks simple.

Treblehook, I can also see where I can make this Pro-Comp adapter work too.

We will see.......

#346 ·
Matt,

I was in Tractor Supply today and I had the "sleeve" sent with the stabilizer as a size reference with me. It looks like you used the 5/8" size fence post mount and wouldn't you know it they were out of them. Anyway I see how you made it and it looks simple.

Treblehook, I can also see where I can make this Pro-Comp adapter work too.

We will see.......
Yep, 5/8" is the size you need. I wish you were closer, I have a few of them laying around.

Good luck,

Matt

#357 ·
#358 ·
Scrambler and the OME Springs

Yes they ride real nice. I am really surprised at how much flex these springs can provide. I still need to get an alignment done after the lift before I drive a lot but I am very pleased with this lift. It is WAY better than the old stock sagging springs it had on it. Also, with the rears all around I don't think the WARN 8274 will be noticed at all.

I will post up some more pictures when I get the winch on.

Thanks

#360 ·
Suspension

Do you plan on a lift or just using old YJ springs? I, and I would assume everybody that has posted in this thread would recommend the OME YJ lift. There are others out there but I really like this upgrade. I ordered my kit from Quadratec. They combine the OME springs and bushings with a kit from another vendor. I also used somewhat customized CJ shackles from Jim Crabtree. He makes some solid and beefy stuff and best of all he is a JEEP guy who will work with you on what you need.

Old Man Emu is quality stuff.

There is also a parts list in this thread too.

#361 ·
I may have missed it, looong thread but with the OME longer front spring and with the shackle mount moving forward about 1 inch, what is the magic shackle length for a perfect/stock shackle setup? 3" CJ length or the 4" YJ length shackles? Would 3" be too short now?

#363 ·
So how is everyone doing on these? Been busy and sort of inactive for a while, my Jeep is in hibernation now so I don't have any cool stories or pics to put up. Just wondering how this suspension mod is holding up, breaking in, breaking out, or whatever else you folks have come across after doing this.

#366 ·
Awsome... all over it. I also need spring hangers, mine are gone due to current through frame shackle reversal. I'm switching back to a traditional front shackle.

I will likely purchase a set of Crabtree's YJ shackles, along with his shackle hangers. I have both 4" and 5" M.O.R.E. shackle plates on my Jeep now, so I should be set if I need to mix n' match to level the Jeep out after installing the YJ springs.

#367 ·
Hey guys,

It's nice to see folks continuing to find this thread useful.

Question: I recently noticed some slight surface rust developing in-between the leafs of my OME springs. I'm a little disappointed about this, since they are only about 6 months old and I live in a relatively dry climate. For those of you who have completed this install, how's the factory finish of your OME springs holding up?

Has anyone painted their springs, or applied another finish to them?

Thanks,

Matt

#379 · (Edited)
Here's some pics of the Dodge u-bolt plates and crabtree hangers

You can see the front hangers(jimcrabtree) where the move the shackle upper pivot point about 1" forward to compensate for the longer YJ springs. I'm using the OME 036 springs per Matt :thumbsup: at all 4 corners

Attachments