Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

605K views 1K replies 179 participants last post by  80cj 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I'll be tackling this install on my 1981 CJ7 258, today, and would appreciate any tips I can get. I got it from 4WD.com

It appears the rear end is pretty simple....space the brake line and bolt everything on.

The fronts are more involved, since I have to do some grinding to install new shackle hangers, but I've got a fair handle on that.

I'm most concerned about drivability issues, afterwards. I went with the 2.5" package because I wanted to avoid castor and driveshaft problems. I know shimming to create the correct angles isn't difficult, but it seems kinda band-aid-ish to me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from any of you with experience with this kit.

Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#314 ·
OME Lift

Well I ended up fabricating some shims and I'm glad I did. I was also able to get the bottom bumper bolts in as I put all back together. I was able to get it all back together and take it for a spin. I was pleased with the ride but my steering has a bit of "wander" in it but I had some before the lift so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I also feel I need an alignment too as soon as I sort out the steering.

All in all I am pleased. I know once I work out the kinks it will be a good addition to the Scrambler.

#317 ·
Castor

Well I picked up an angle gauge/finder today and if I'm putting on the right areas I'n sitting dead on 0 degrees. I believe I read that the OME shims are 2 degress correct? So do I need to go with 4 or 6 degree shims?

If I am at zero with 2 degree shims now then 4 degree shims should put me at 2 and 6 should put me at 4 is that correct??

#319 ·
OK, I looked at the post again on steering and placed the gauge on top of the steering knuckle bolt. This shows one (1) degree so I guess I need to get between 2-6 correct? Would a 4 degree shim do it ok or do I need more?
First, what direction are the factory shims facing? If you left them in the factory position, they are facing the wrong way. The fat end should face towards the front of the vehicle.

If they are currently on wrong, reversing them will net about 4 degrees more caster, total. That will put you in the ballpark of around 4-5 degrees positive, which is close to spec and won't drive too badly.

But, replacing them with 4 degree shims, should put you at the upper end of spec around 7. It should handle great at that caster.

Matt

#320 ·
Shims

Damn I feel like an idiot! Matt, I was reading through this thread before I saw your last post. I realized I didn't spin my front shims around because I have OME rears all around. Well I will do that tomorrow and see if that is the case. That may do the trick without changing shims.

Thanks

#321 ·
Well, spinning the shims will get you close, as I said. But, it won't be the best you can get it.

Learn from my mistakes. I did the same thing you did, and left the shims in the factory position. This gave me between 0 and 1 degree positive caster, just as you have now. I then reversed the shims, and was near the low end of spec at 5 degrees. It handled OK, but the return to center was lazy, and it wandered a bit. So, I replaced the factory shims with 4 degree shims, and she is money at 7 degrees.

Yours is the exact same geometry, and will respond to the changes exactly as mine did. Save yourself some time and order a set of Warrior 4 degree shims.

Matt

#342 ·
Stabilizer Mounting

85Laredo - How big is the bolt that comes out of the U-shaped adapter into the existing mount ? I ordered an adapter from Summit which is made by Pro-Comp and that bolt is HUGE. I can't decide whether I want to send it back and try something else, drill out the hole of the mount to make the bolt fit, or remove the bolt and weld in another.

Treblehook - Do you know what brand/kind of adapter this is?

Thanks

#327 ·
I'm going to finally get around to putting things together in the next day or two, assuming the weather holds. I looked through and didn't see anything definitive on the orientation of the leafs. Saw that one end has smaller bushings. Looking through the pics tho, it appears as the end of the leaf that is stamped with a + is towards the center, anyone care to check that presumption?

#336 ·
Not in this case. The OME springs have both plus and minus stickers on each end.

Bojon, If you are using the rear springs all the way around, the + side will be the fixed, or stationary, side of the leaf. So, the + sign will be towards the front on the rear springs, and towards the rear on the the front springs.

Good luck, and keep us informed how your install goes.

Matt

#338 ·
Well I installed Warrior 4 degree shims yesterday. I am sitting at about 5-6 degress now as far as I can tell. There does seem to be a good bit more stability in the steering now. I'm due for an alignment now.
You'll be very glad you did and the alignment print-out will give you exact numbers...I'm betting your at 6* on the nuts!:thumbsup:

Congrats!

Cheers, :cheers2::cheers2:
TrebleHook

#343 ·
mtrdud,

As already posted, an alternative to hunting down the bracket Treble used is to use a simple gate hook found at most hardware stores, or farming supply stores.

Simply cut it to length, then drill a 1/4" hole thru the length of the post. Find a 1/4" bolt, a couple of washers, and a nut, and you are good to go.

Matt

Attachments