Old Jeep-New Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Jeep-New Sound

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
newjeepowner

Old Jeep-New Sound

My 79 cj-7 suddenly began making a grinding type sound when I shift into 3rd gear. The sound is there before I disengage the clutch and sounds like it is coming from near the bottom of the stick (not deep in the bowels of the transmission)....I am not very mechanical but could this be loose linkage or something else not too complex? PLan on looking closer later today but wanted to get some sense fo what I might want to look for..

THe sound does not stop after releasing the clutch...more like chattering/grinding associated with the stick...thoughts?

Last edited by newjeepowner; 11-29-2008 at 07:25 AM..
newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
2005BlackRubi

My new cj 5 also makes a grinding noise when shifting into 1st gear

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636743&page=2[/url]
2005BlackRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

Syncros in the transmission most likely.
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
newjeepowner

thanks...any other thoughts? just to be clear, it only applies to third gear and sounds more like a bad chattering of something rubbing . No problems exist shifting into or out of the gears...

Last edited by newjeepowner; 11-29-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Unread 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

I know Chevy four speed can have the problem of when shifting into third, there is a fork bushing that wears out, making a chattering, grinding sound. May people have the habit of hanging onto the stick after shifting, and put extra stress on the fork bushing. which will do undo wear on the bushing. I'd also check the clutch fork and throw out bearing.
Unread 11-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the syncro is going bad. Have you tried double clutching?
Unread 11-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
newjeepowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
Sounds like the syncro is going bad. Have you tried double clutching?

I'll try and look a bit tomm (might try moving it in and out of 4wd as well)...thanks for the ideas but i might need to enlist my more mechanical friends. Thanks to all for the leads though!
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
newjeepowner

Update

Hopefully this provides a bit more clarity to my recent issue.

First off, if it is the syncros, how bad a job is this to do (part/tools/effort/time)? and any direction on how to fix, where to get parts, etc. is appreciated. Again, I am fairly inept but I might be able to borrow tools/talent to help me.

The jeep runs fine in first, second and reverse (although I have to go slowly into reverse with low rpms or the stick 'chatters' just a littel a bit like something is spinning against the stick as it wants to go in gear.)

At a stop, i can shift into any gear easily, regardless of RPM's as long as the clutch is in. I also can shift into 4wd (high or low) without any offending noise.

When rolling (~30mph) and running in second, if i try and shift into third, the stick moves easily enough but as I begin to put it into gear (clutch in), the rattling comes in strong, like something not 'moving all the way out of the way' that would allow me to shift into third w/o the chattering. I can go into third but noise suggests it is a very poor idea to leave it in gear! As a result, i don't want to make a problem worse and keep it out of third.

Any help in confirming the diagnosis or fixing the problem is greatly appreciated. The sad part is winter is here and I just got my heater working
Unread 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

Still sounds like syncronizors to me. You probably dont want to attempt yourself given the way you described your mechanic skills. I wouldnt try it myself. You can take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt for 400 bucks.
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
newjeepowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhollic View Post
Still sounds like syncronizors to me. You probably dont want to attempt yourself given the way you described your mechanic skills. I wouldnt try it myself. You can take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt for 400 bucks.
ok thanks...is this something i could confirm by taking off the top of the transmission from the inside?

Time to call up a favor from a friend!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.