ok so i got it to turn over but it wont run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ok so i got it to turn over but it wont run

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
bkeast17

ok so i got it to turn over but it wont run

OK, so we figured out why the solenoid was clicking and buzzing, battery was dead. We have it so the engine will turn over but it will not fire. Maybe it is a fuel problem?? How would I know if the fuel pump is not working right? I know that is a cheap fix. COuld it be something with the distributor? I posted before stating the PO put some new dist on and it only has one black wire coming out of it to the coil where it splits to a red wire going to the coil and another red going to ignition.

bkeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
thebeast77

Well to see if you are getting fuel to the carb just unhook the line at the carb and wedge a soda bottle in there and put the line in there. Have someone turn the key while you look for steady adaquate flow. If that is good next I would look to do a compression test on the cylinders. Im not sure what the psi is suppose to be but mine was between 130 and 155 and it runs fine. If that is fine I would try to find somebody you know that knows how to work a timing light and make sure you timing is in check. If that checks out unplug a spark plug and pull back the boot. It is very important to hold the wire with insulated pliers when you do this. Once you have the metal contact exposed scratch a grounding spot some where like the grill supports that run though the engine compartment. Have some one crank the engine and see how far you can make the spark jump. You should get a nice pretty blue spark about a inch long. If you dont then you need to check you electrical conections if those are good the first thing i would replace is your spark plug wires. If that doesnt do it you need to look in to replacing the electronic ignition control box(thiswas the main culprit on mine). It is a little box mounted down on the passenger fender. Really simple to replace just one connector and 4 screws. I got mine from autozone but I forget how much. Now if that doesnt do the trick next would probly be the coil followed by the distributer cap and rotor.

Fellow jeepers this is what I did to get mine running but if it would make more sence to do it differntly please post but it makes logical sense to me.

Hope I was of some help and you can get her running. Once you get her back up and running she wont quit for a while. I got mine running about 1000 miles ago and I have a leaking rear seal and a crack flexplate and it still going strong although I need to get the flexplate replaced.

Good Luck
thebeast77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
bkeast17

Well we got it to run after putting more gas in haha. But then it would not stay running unless you pumped the gas so we thought maybe fuel pump was bad. Replaced that and the fuel filter. Now it just turns over but will not fire!! Was thinking now maybe electrical. Maybe the ignition module is dead as it is pretty well corroded from road salt. Might just tow it over to the shop in front of my work to see what they think.
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

If you have a tachometer, try unhooking it. I had a similar problem that kept me guessing for years. I replaced the starter lock, the ignition module, had the engine rebuilt, and finally when I changed my dash, I unhooked the tach and problem solved. If you have a tach, give it a try, it can't hurt.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
bkeast17

There is an aftermarket tach attached to the steering column. Should I just unwire it from the green wire that goes to the coil??
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

My tach was from the factory and was part of the wiring harness. If it's an aftermarket tach. I doubt that is the problem. I noticed that when my jeep was having troubles, my tach was acting funny. The factory wiring has a conection port for the tach.. I disconected my tach. and put in a toggle switch as a kill switch, but like I said if you have an aftermarket tach. I doubt that is your problem.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I installed a factory tach and did enough research to know that most after market tach are not in series with the ignition. I'll agree with 4xgore. If it's a OEM you've got to be careful wiring it or it will allow the engine to crank but never start.
ClarkGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Have you checked to see if you have spark yet? If you do, then it must be a fuel problem. Someone else started a thread like this about a week ago. Mine was doing the same type of thing so I recommended taking the fuel line off of the carb. There should be a fitting that the line hooks into on the front of the carb. Take that fitting off of the carb carefully, and you should find a check valve in there. Clean that up and reassemble. This fixed mine totally, it runs like a champ now. Just and idea...
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
bkeast17

Well I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, new ignition module and new plug wires. I put gasket cement on the carb gasket and cranked the bolts down to fix the leak there so now it does run when I turn the key but it will die out unless I keep tapping the gas. Now I am thinking more of a timing issue. I will tow it to a shop Monday to have them check the timing and what not as I do not know how to do it, nor have a timing gun.
Unread 07-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

Hi, just curious, do you know if your carb is properly adjusted? Is it the original Carter, those are notorious for being finicky on adjustments.

My CJ has been in stasis for the past 5 years and my father-in-law is having a similar problem, the engine will turn over but it will not start. He believes there's no spark getting to the plugs. My initial thought was to replace the ignition control box and coil (the plug wires are fairly new but not top-of-the-line) then distributor cap/button if necessary, but I don't know if he's following my recommendations, it's been 3 months and the Jeep still won't start.

Oh, did I mention I need the Jeep running and in California (it's currently in MS) by August?
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeast17
Well I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, new ignition module and new plug wires. I put gasket cement on the carb gasket and cranked the bolts down to fix the leak there so now it does run when I turn the key but it will die out unless I keep tapping the gas. Now I am thinking more of a timing issue. I will tow it to a shop Monday to have them check the timing and what not as I do not know how to do it, nor have a timing gun.

Hey, how's this go'n ?

If you haven't got it fixed, try looking for broken vacuum hoses around the Carb area; something sucking air, may not be a hose, intake gasket maybe.

Turn up the idle on the carb and see if the engine will run at a faster idle, if it does it sounds like a vacuum leak and you will have to find it before you can time the engine.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
thenubsterman

ya almost sounds like a carb problem to, probably shouldn't of reused the carb gasket. Maybe a vaccum leak, ya see if it will run at higher rpms,
thenubsterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.