Ok, new guy here and my seats are craptoast... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ok, new guy here and my seats are craptoast...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
RustyNutts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, new guy here and my seats are craptoast...

I have a 77 CJ5 that's been refurbished over the years and I'm doing it again.
This past weekend, I took out the seats and all the old carpet and inspected everything.
Here goes...
The metal seat bottoms that support the foam cushion are rusted out and the foam cushions are all chewed up and nasty. I'll be getting new lowback seats of junkyard seats. The carpet, of course, let moisture rust around one of the seat/frame mounting holes and also one of the seat belt mounting holes..

I should take some pics so you all could see, but the bottom of the floor pan just behind the gear shifter where it meets the step up to what I'd call the 'bed' area is rusted out also....this is where the seat belt mount is rusted out. There may be a second seat belt mount rusted too, but one of them pulled completely out (Driver's seat right floor mount).

I want to get new seats, but before I do I need to reinforce the floor in the area of the one seat mount (passenger seat mount front right mount) and the seat belt mount(s).
I'm not too worried about the seat belt mounts as I feel like I can find a suitable mounting place to change it to, but the seat HAS to mount in the same place, right? What would be the best way to bolster this rusted seat mount?

I'm not going to tub swap now, because this is basically a farm truck at this point, and I'm wanting to just 'fix' this rusted out spot.
Will it be okay to have some bracing underneath welded on and just make a mounting plate?

What have some of you done for rusty floor mounts?

Thanks for any advice.

RustyNutts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

I'm not familiar with the suppliers due to the lack of a need for it here in my area, but there are companies that make patch panels. I'm sure if you searched you may come up with something. If not, you will probably have to find an intact jeep tub to take measurements from and fab up your own.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

You can get pre-formed steel panels to repair Jeep CJ tubs, but I have heard complaints that they're not as thick as the original 16 gauge steel. Plus, they are large and cover big areas of the tub like the whole floor area under the driver's feet. When I repaired my tub I bought a 4x8' sheet of 16 gauge steel and used that as needed to repair about 11 different rusty areas.

Post some good quality photos of the rusty areas and we can get you more specific information.
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
RustyNutts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks.
I'll try to get some pics up on here tomorrow.
RustyNutts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Depends on how big the rusted area is. My seat mounts were cracked on the DS near the door so I hammered it back as well as I could, welded it and then put a strip of 1/8" steel over it but mine were not rusted out.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.