ok!? getting it road worthy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ok!? getting it road worthy

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
67cj5
1967 CJ5 

ok!? getting it road worthy

im building my 67 cj5 heres my plans i dont plan on hammering on it or anything, its gonna be a trail rider till i get better axles,

chevy 307 v8,edelbrock performer cam,holley intake edelbrock 600cfm carb
sm465 tranny
model 18 tranny
dana 27 front with rebuilt factory posi
dana 44rear with rebuilt factory posi with 2 peice axles
4 inch superlift lift
33/10.50 tsl/thornbirds
1 inch body lift
teraflex revolver shackles front/rear

what im asking will this combo work good for a daily driver mild booner till i get my dana 44s? i got most of this stuff for free or dirt cheap so i figured i would ask
i plan on having this done before snow flys (i hope still got to patch frame and do alot of body work that im in process of doing) thanks!

67cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
high51977

I would skip the revolver shackles for a mostly road vehicle but otherwise it should be a good dd
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

why 10.50s and why thornbirds? the shackles will be fine. i've been running mine for a little over 1 and a half now with no problems. I drive it just about every day.
Unread 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Bigjeep65
1982 CJ7 

IMO,

33" with the stock axles and the added torque/weight of the SBC is pushing it. A total of 5" of lift (plus the shackles) with the short wheelbase and narrow track is also pushing it.

Having said that, it's just my opinion. I would look for some 31" tires, limit the lift to 2 1/2 or three inches until you replace the axles.
Bigjeep65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

your 44 will be fine so will the 27 as long as you keep it out of a bad bind. i ran 33's on my amc 20 for years and that 44 is just as strong. with a narrow trac i would look into some 12.50s and some small spacers.
Unread 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Best site on the 'net for '67 info: www.earlycj5.com

33x10.50 are the perfect tire for that early CJ, but you only need a 2.5" lift to run them effectively. You'll have to run a 10" wheel and fender flares if you go to the 12.50 tire.

Chevy V8 will fit, but you'll need to run a late CJ grille, and even then it's a tight squeeze, partly due to the distributor location. Remember that the fenders in that JEEP are 3.5" shorter than the AMC V8 Jeeps.

Look into Holley Truck Avenger instead of that Edelbrock 600cfm. I've had a terrible time offroad with that Edelbrock carb in the past. The Thunder series offers some promises of improvement offroad, but I've not yet heard any first hand reports. I'm extremely pleased with the TA; "poor man's EFI."

Buick V6 is an excellent alternative to the SBC. Chevy 4.3EFI are also popular as you can grab a wrecked S-10 for next to nothing and have parts on hand to do several upgrade conversions at once, including Saginaw steering and vacuum powered brakes, which you're definitely going to want to do if you intend to run it on the street on a regular basis.

You'll also want to invest in a Warn overdrive.

Go with BFG M/T if you want to run on the street; I've known folks with those Thornbirds to get no more than 20k miles out of them on pavement. I think they were also voted by JP magazine staff at one time to be the worst offroad tire currently produced.

In addition to earlycj5.com, also check out my '70 build thread linked in my sig line. I installed a T-18 instead of SM465 and Buick V6 instead of SBC, but basically ended up with a similar trail/driver JEEP to what you are describing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.