Oil woes 84 CJ7, 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil woes 84 CJ7, 258

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
jayjay

Oil woes 84 CJ7, 258

Recently I have noticed a build up of oil, resembling white lithium grease. It is mostly around the interior service at the Oil filler cap. I was runing Mobil 1 but have sinced changed it to Castrol (non-synthetic. Performed three oil changes, fixed a leaking PVC vacume hose, but still see a grease type sunstance congrigating at the filler area. I went as far as taking the cover off and found the grease like substance clinging to the interior surface of the cover.

Has any one else experianced this and if so, what did you do to elliminate it.

Thank you,
Jay

jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
shaker man

Sounds like you are getting water in your oil. probably condensation or head gasket leak. do you drive it enough to get it good and warm?
shaker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I would make sure your PVC's are in good working order. If they get clogged it will not release and keep the moisture in the valve cover. Cheap enough to replace both of them with new ones.

This is a quick test to see if you have something else going on.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Also make sure your Thermostat is working, engine may not be getting as hot as it needs to be!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
jayjay

Thanks for the tips,

Could be the cold engine theory, during the summer I replaced the thurmostat with a 160. and it seemed to work fine. I also don't drive it very often (only start it once a week)

Another question: When it warms up it does not want to shut off. I have the HEI upgrade. any sugs?
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

160 is way too cold. Things like the carb heater will stay on below 165. It also isn't good for internal heat.

This is the likely cause for the white stuff.

Not shutting down likely means you need a diode in the power line so the alternator can't power up the coil when the key is off. The alternator field or trigger comes off the coil power line. To test this just unplug the plastic plug on the coil when the key is off to see if that shuts it down.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
obscurotron

My '85 258 does the exact same thing, even after a complete rebuilt (including replacing the HG, decking the head, etc.). I'm not sure where it's coming from, but my coolant level does drop (in the overflow bottle). Does yours?

So I'm not sure where my leak is. Could it be the water jacket in the intake manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
Recently I have noticed a build up of oil, resembling white lithium grease. It is mostly around the interior service at the Oil filler cap. I was runing Mobil 1 but have sinced changed it to Castrol (non-synthetic. Performed three oil changes, fixed a leaking PVC vacume hose, but still see a grease type sunstance congrigating at the filler area. I went as far as taking the cover off and found the grease like substance clinging to the interior surface of the cover.

Has any one else experianced this and if so, what did you do to elliminate it.

Thank you,
Jay
obscurotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron
My '85 258 does the exact same thing, even after a complete rebuilt (including replacing the HG, decking the head, etc.). I'm not sure where it's coming from, but my coolant level does drop (in the overflow bottle). Does yours?

So I'm not sure where my leak is. Could it be the water jacket in the intake manifold?
There aren't any oil channels in the intake so the coolant can cross over there.

You should pull the plugs to see which one looks clean like new. If you find that, you have found a head gasket leak.

When mine leaked, my rad filled up with tiny bubbles, lots of them. You can open the rad cap on a cold off engine and start it up while carefully watching the coolant. Mine was obvious. Watch it, the coolant can come out in a hurry with a blown headgasket when the T-stat opens!

There are a couple more reasons for poor PCV performance which can cause the OP's symptoms if he isn't losing coolant. One is a failing charcoal canister purge valve which also will cause idle issues and lots of oil spits into the air filter and the other is that solenoid thing behind the carb. It never did work right so the fix was to put a T fitting in to tie in the PCV to the canister.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Upgrade to normal thermostat and take it for a nice long drive!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

I had a 170* then a 180* & ended up w/a 195* T-stat & the engine runs a lot better w/a 3 core rad.

I had one engine blow a hole in #3 cyl due to a bad factory head gasket. The metal rusted through & it started running rough & pop, hole in cyl. After that I had a '82 engine sitting & decided to look @ the factory head gasket, it to was rusted & almost all the way through. My opinion, anyone who has a factory head gasket on a 258 should change it out.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
jayjay

I will change the t-stat and see if it helps. I have new a PVC and new lines (air compresser air hose works great). The orginal valve cover mounted air filter has long since been discarded and in place I have one on top of the carb. I still have the blowby hose at the rear but have placed a makeshift filter on it. The CJ runs great, idles fine and does not use any water. Compression test are right on the money and the plugs looks as they should.

I think the cold weather combined with the low t-stat may be the cuprit. I will change it and drive the p--- out of it and see if it helps.

Question 2: Because I installed a HEI dizy, there is no longer a coil. Would installing the resistor on the alternator still apply?

Thank You,
Jay
Unread 01-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
Question 2: Because I installed a HEI dizy, there is no longer a coil. Would installing the resistor on the alternator still apply?

Thank You,
Jay
If you used the existing 'coil' power wire to power up the HEI, it has an active tag to the alternator's field wiring. When you turn off the key, the main power shuts off, but the alternator is still energized which can backfeed power to the distributor.

The fix is in the HEI directions everywhere I looked and that is to put a diode in the alternator trigger line so electricity can only go 'to' the alternator, it can't then come 'from' it. A diode is a one way 'switch' sort of, it only lets DC power go in one direction.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.