Oil pump problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil pump problems

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
LockedupXJ
1986 CJ7 

Oil pump problems

Every time i used to start my motor the oil pressure would jump to around 40-50 psi. But now withing a weeks time (200 miles or so) it barely gets to 10psi on cold start ups. My question is can the oil pump fail this fast? Or could it be the sending unit going bad. I have no problem replacing the oil pump but if i dont need to then i dont want to. The PO said this motor only had 20,000 miles since being rebuilt but im not 100% thats true.

LockedupXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

you need to geta good gauge and check the PSI right of the motor. just pull the sedning unit and screw it in there. that will tell you if you have PSI. in you do then it's in the wiring or gauge. if you dont then you have problems

low PSI is worn bearings but i've never seen them wear that fast. if the oil pump took a dump then it can go that fast. Also if you haven't been keeping up on your mainenance and not changed the oil in a LONG time. when the filter gets pluged it bypasses and can drop PSI but not usually that much
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What does the oil pressure stay at when the engine is warm?
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When it warms up its almost if not at 0psi. Ive stoped driving it untill i fix this. I figured that would probably be the best decision

85' CJ7 Project "Bentsome"
In Progress
locked-up-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Maybe the tang on the distributor broke off or something... first.. pull the distributor and take a look at it and down the hole to the oil pump. If everything looks ok.. pull the electrical sending unit.. get a mechanical gauge and hook it up in it's place. Using a drill and a priming rod.. run the oil pump for 30 or 40 seconds..

You should be showing plenty of pressure on the mech gauge. If not.. there is some internal engine problem.

The cost of the mechanical gauge and priming rod is better than replacing a blown motor!

The prob is almost certainly either the electrical sending unit, the wiring.. or the electrical gauge though!
Hybrid Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks for the replies. I just realized i have 2 different user names on here I don't know how i pulled that one off

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well i put a manual gauge on it and...... no pressure so i ordered the rebuild kit. I just tore the pump apart and im not happy with what i have found. Theres alot of pitting and gouges in the gears and the oil pump housing isnt to pretty eithier. How smooth is the housing suppose to be? Ill post some pics up in a bit.

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heres the pictures, sorry there not that good my camera stoped working so i had to use my cell phone.

So what do you guys suggest? Do i need to get a whole new housing or will this work?

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

You should have had at least some pressure with the gears even looking like that. I still think it's some other problem. Get a new oil pump kit.. and put the gears in.. they will be nice and tight.. and you may have to take some sand paper and sand some burs off of the case. I don't think the timing cover case is shot yet.

But.. I'm going to say that there is some other problem in your engine. Perhaps a plugged oil galley or something.. because SOME pressure should result even from chewed up gears. Was the distributor engaging the pump? Did you try spinning it with a primer rod and a drill?
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't turn the pump with a drill because i just finally got this thing timed right and didn't want to mess with it again But i will put the pump gear back in and see if it is engaging or not. What would cause the gears to look like this other than bits of metal flying around my engine oil

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok just checked and it is engaging.

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Taking a closer look at that cover .. it is pretty deeply deeply scratched. I still think that the oil pressure would read some rather than none. Have you cut open the oil filter to see if there are BIG pieces of metal in there?
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i did and theres nothing. Im thinking maybe the old gears were just far enough gone to not be able to pull a prime after sitting? because i just changed the oil 3 days ago and it all still looks brand new so it hasn't been circulated. I took some emery cloth to the case and it smoothed out pretty good theres only one good sized gouge that i can feel with my finger nail.

In Progress
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Drop that new pump in and really.. prime it with a priming rod.. if you don't have one rent one. I know there is a guy on Ebay that has em for like $12. If you don't get pressure on the mech gauge after a minute or two its gotta be something else.
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Was there a gasket under the oil pump cover?? you need the gasket to maintain the proper clearance for the oil pump gears. Do not use RTV, you must put the proper gasket under the cover.

In the Factory Service Manual there are specifications for the different clearances required. If you do not have a copy I can try and scan/post something from my 76 Factory Serviced manual on the 304 oil pump ?

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.