Oil psi running high - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil psi running high

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

Oil psi running high

My oil psi guage runs high when I start it and than when it warms it goes back down to about 15. It started spiking up to 40 psi when I hit the gas and than it drops down when I go in higher gears. I just replaced the oil two days ago and now it sits at around 20 when idling and goes to 60+ when I hit the gas.

Mikebaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Give it time, it'll probably settle down as you break the oil in.

What weight oil did you replace with?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Mine always does this, runs high when I first start it and takes awhile for it to drop down to about 20 PSI, PSI climbs as I apply the gas pedal.
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I run about 35 at idle on start up. It drops to about 20 when it warms up. At 2000 rpms, it runs about 60-65once warmed up. noyhing wrong with that.
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I have no faith in electronic pressure gauges. Took turns replacing sending unit or gauge and would get inaccurate readings after only a few months. Put in a good mechanical gauge and have had no more problems since.

As previously stated, it's normal to get higher pressure readings when engine is cool and/or at higher RPM. If you are routinely seeing pressure dropping below 30 psi, you should think about replacing the pump and maybe some crank bearings (no motor lasts forever and eventually a complete rebuild will be required). In some cases you can get a little more pressure by switching to heavier weight oil (maybe you've already tried this, and that's why you get 60psi when motor is cold?). Most stock pumps have a relief valve set at around 60psi that prevents building pressure any higher. Before doing anything, I'd make sure you are getting accurate readings... maybe install a mechanical gauge temporarily (you can get a cheap one for about $20 and tape it to the steering column for a few days to see what's really going on).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

I've never trusted my oil pressure gauge. What mechanical gauge works well with the CJ / 258 set up?
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

What weight oil did you use? How many miles on the engine?
30psi+ swing from idle to run when hot, is normal.
High psi when cold at start up is normal.
AMC's OEM oil pressure gauge is CRAP. Get a mechanical gauge.

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/c...60s_muscle.cfm

LG
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

It just recently started running that high and that's what I think is weird because it always ran lower than that. I just put in 10w-30 but I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the motor was swapped to a scrambler motor with 20000 miles rebuilt. Like most cjs mine is a Frankenstein jeep and it's hard to remember all of the parts. I just thought it was suspicious that just one day it started doing that and along with all my other problems it may just be as simple as a broken guage.
Mikebaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Keep a log book of every thing you do to the Jeep, including PN's and at what mileage it was done.
Like I said---Don't trust the OEM gauge.
LG
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA View Post
I've never trusted my oil pressure gauge. What mechanical gauge works well with the CJ / 258 set up?
I like these;

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...gid=3441&sid=4

Any 2" (sometimes called 2-1/16" for the hole size) gauge will fit the factory CJ dash hole (just beware of the depth as there is not a lot of clearance behind the dash).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This is mine kind of factory looking and totally mechanical.
image-2535442365.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

When I built my 304, I paid attention to all of the tolerances and the oil system. I am around 70psi on start up. After the engine is up to operating temperature, it settles in at around 22psi until I hit the throttle and then it jumps up to around 60psi.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
This is mine kind of factory looking and totally mechanical.
X2! Sterwart Warner stuff is accurate and looks period correct

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I'm going to be a bit of a dissenting voice here.
In my experience, a well built engine with a stock oil pump will hold a (relatively) steady pressure (usually about 40LBS) at both idle and service RPM's; hot as well as cold. This comes from the proper tolerances throughout the engine being tight enough to hold leakdown to a minimum. A stock pump will hold a steady pressure at idle when warm, with the bypass valve dumping the excess pressure at colder temps and higher RPM's.
Large fluctuations in pressure during cold operation and RPM changes usually points to some pressure leakage somewhere in the system, and 70LBS, as indicated above indicates a high pressure bypass spring has been installed. These can be bad on the cam and distributor gears due to the excessive force necessary to maintain that high of a pressure.
I am a big fan of good pressures at idle, since many of these engines are subjected to very low engine speeds during wheeling. A pressure below 30LBS at idle can become 5 or 6 LBS (or less) during a low speed lugging session in the rocks or other technical areas where the RPM's may be forced to drop well below norms (one of the reasons I run a high volume pump).
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't know, Ran my electrical and a mechanical pressure gauge side by side and both gave the same readings..
Maybe they just like me.

I would be more impressed with how many people have an oil pressure switch installed with a horn or alarm to warn of very low oil pressure.
just saying....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.