JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Oil pan...what IS in the way? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/oil-pan-what-way-1539994/)

ferday 06-22-2013 06:20 PM

Oil pan...what IS in the way?

Yeah I know, I've read a dozen threads (I'm doing RMS/clutch) that say the passenger mount need removal or the pan won't drop....but NONE of those threads said why, so I assumed the mount was in the way

Well suffice to say the mount is not in the way, but something is. Ill take the mount off now, but what IS in the pan that's in the way? Pickup? Pump?

Thanks LOL I'll find out tomorrow when I have some more time anyways.

Also, if anyone has any tips on where I can jack the motor so it doesn't drop when I remove the mount? Currently have the tranny supported but nothing else

Thanks! Sorry for the serious rookie question but its driving me nuts LOL

Cutlass327 06-22-2013 07:21 PM

The oil pickup is in the pan, you may have to unbolt it from the block and drop it into the pan to pull the pan on out, then put the pan (with P-U inside) up into place and then bolt the p-u back in before reinstalling the pan.

LumpyGrits 06-22-2013 07:26 PM

Would help if we didn't have to GUESS what engine:thumbsup:
LG

skizriz 06-22-2013 07:29 PM

I gave everything I had trying to get mine off without removing the motor mounts. It ain't happening.If I remember correctly, there is even a bolt for the pan that can't be removed because the mount is in the way.:cheers2:

LumpyGrits 06-22-2013 07:40 PM

The motor mount and the dust cover on the front of the bell-housing.
LG

ferday 06-22-2013 07:55 PM

Ugh my bad, it's the 258. :o

The blocked bolt was no trick, I had a super low profile socket...they aren't in there tight. But the pan will not drop as there is something metal inside right at the mount location which stop the pan, I guess it's the pickup...does that mean if I unbolt the pickup (where is that?) the pan will drop without removing the mount? Or will the pan just fall off if I suck it up and remove the mount, and I don't have to unbolt anything else? The inspection cover isn't impeding anything that I can tell

It would save me a bunch of work as I have to move some jacks around, since I have to drop the tranny to do the clutch

Thanks all!

skizriz 06-22-2013 08:31 PM

How will you unbolt the pump without removing the pan???

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

ferday 06-22-2013 09:52 PM

Lol no idea, it was posted above to do such a thing. I cannot determine anything to remove from the outside, so motor mount it is

Thanks again everyone

skizriz 06-23-2013 01:49 AM

Lol...

You may get away with only removing the passengers side mount, and lifting the engine up a little bit.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Cutlass327 06-23-2013 01:55 AM

I only know from engines I have done, like the Ford 2.3 4cyl, you just reach in and unbolt the pickup and let it drop. I guess if the pump is like a SBC that is out, unless you drop the whole pump...

electroguy75 06-23-2013 02:25 AM

when i dropped the oil pan on my 75 258 it was hung up untill i removed the bell housing dust plate. After its removable all went well. pretty sure its not the pump hanging it up. cheers and good luck

keith460 06-23-2013 07:37 AM

I did this last year on my 84' with the 258 engine. You must remove the passenger side motor mount and engine horn bracket in order to remove the oil pan. Also, the frame Tie Bar must be removed if you have one. No need to remove the oil pump.

Before removing the passenger side motor mount, I fabricated a heavy flat steel bar that I bolted to an engine threaded cast boss that is located between the engine mount and fuel pump. I used a floor jack to slightly raise the engine on the passenger side, bolted on the heavy flat bar that was angled into the frame bump stop bracket and lowered the engine back down so the flat bar bracket supported the weight. Removed the passenger side engine bracket and frame horn and then the oil pan.

Sorry, no pictures but I could take one or two with the flat steel bar shown where I put it if needed.

ferday 06-23-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith460 (Post 15596470)
I did this last year on my 84' with the 258 engine. You must remove the passenger side motor mount and engine horn bracket in order to remove the oil pan. Also, the frame Tie Bar must be removed if you have one. No need to remove the oil pump.

Before removing the passenger side motor mount, I fabricated a heavy flat steel bar that I bolted to an engine threaded cast boss that is located between the engine mount and fuel pump. I used a floor jack to slightly raise the engine on the passenger side, bolted on the heavy flat bar that was angled into the frame bump stop bracket and lowered the engine back down so the flat bar bracket supported the weight. Removed the passenger side engine bracket and frame horn and then the oil pan.

Sorry, no pictures but I could take one or two with the flat steel bar shown where I put it if needed.

Thanks! No pictures needed, I get what you're saying as I was thinking something along those lines

What a PITA for an oil pan ha ha. Gotta help some friends with massive flooding problems we are having, so she'll have to sit with a partially removed oil pan for a bit. Then on to the clutch....unfortunately noticed one of the clutch linkage bolts has sheared off in the bellhousing, so lots of fun ahead!

ferday 06-23-2013 04:42 PM

Just in case this thread gets any more hits, as soon as I dropped the mount the pan fell off. The PO was kind enough to use what looks like 6 tubes of rtv instead of a gasket...so, is there any good reason I can't wire wheel the (pan) mating surface to clean it quicker? I spent some time scraping the motor surface, and I want to paint my pan anyways

Thanks again everyone, as usual with jeeps nothing is as hard as it seems, until you start doing it then its harder ;)

zillla 06-23-2013 05:05 PM

On my 304 the pan hit the corner of the passenger side motor mount. i removed the offending corner with my grinder and cut off wheel. End of problem.

The time now is 12:09 PM.