Oil pan question?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil pan question??

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
neemcj
1984 CJ7 

Oil pan question??

Ok, gotta replace oil pump. Can I do it with motor in place on 84 258 and how big a job?? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Unread 01-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

No need to remove motor. Just pull the oil pan, and then the oil pump.

One of the bolts is really hard to get to Some unhook one engine mount, and raise the engine slightly to reach it. Or use a very small wrench. I used the small wrench, but replaced the bolt with an allen-head so next time will be easier.

I had to also remove the front drive-shaft, and cross-bar to get the pan out.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

That's exactly right. Messy job but not too difficult. Don't mess with a cork seal on the pan - use the blue rubber one piece from felco.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

That 2-piece cork seal was tough. The way its setup is you have to have it sitting on the block first, then set the pan onto it. Fine if you have the engine upside down on a mount....

What I did was put a very thin bead of RTV on the gaskets so they would stick to the block. That actually helped since it takes some work to get the pan into position.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
neemcj
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys, It didn't looks too bad but I wanted to get some input from someone that had replaced one in the truck.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

You will have to remove the pass side motor mount to get the pan off. Make sure you have the right pickup tube for the pump. They made a couple of designs, search on here, been discussed before.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.