Oil pan help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil pan help

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
sickcj978

Oil pan help

I have a lifted cj7 with the 4.2stock I need to do my oil pan gasket and I don't have anywhere to do it I live in gardner ma wondering if somebody could help a fellow jeeper out I have all my own tool except an engine lift witch from doing it once already would greatly help please let me knowthanks

sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Here's a neat little trick: have you got a jack? And some length of 2x4? Jack it up just a bit, 3-4", until you can slide a length of appropriate length 2x4" under the crank pulley. Let the jack down and now you have the engine supported by the 2x4; enough so that you can remove the passenger motor mount and free the working area for the oil pan gasket.

This site maybe details it a little better: http://www.neow.net/rms1.html
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
sickcj978

Thanks for the advice I will try that this week and let u know how I make out
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Just another piece of advice - that motor mount that you pull can be a tricky bear to get back in - lining everything up and all. Keep the 2x4" under the pulley and you might have to raise and lower a few times to get everything lined up. A little neighborly help goes a long way.
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
titomars
1981 CJ7 

here is some advise. Invest in the one piece pan gasket. You'll never need to do a pan gasket again. Install it completely dry (no sealer). Bonuses are you can't over torque the bolts deforming the gasket and it's fully reusable.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled my pan without needing to lift the motor or mess with he mounts at all. Just unbolted and installed the dry fit from felpro.
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Congratulations.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.