Oil pan gasket rant / question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil pan gasket rant / question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Oil pan gasket rant / question

The PO used a MASSIVE amount of (clear?) silicone on the oil pan gasket, it's taken me hours to clean the surface properly.

Rant over, is there some areas that I should be silicon on when I put the new gasket on? I have the one piece felpro, the surfaces are pretty good with no major dents or scratches. Any hints to put the gasket on? Should I run a really thin RTV to hold the gasket in the pan for install?

The RMS was a cakewalk compared to this silicone mess

Thanks! I'm frustrated right now, it's 30C outside and I wanna drive my jeep lol

ferday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Thought about you with the floods last week.

The site for RMS repair also details where to put the black RTV: http://www.neow.net/rms2.html

Basically, it's best to put a thin bead anywhere the oil pan curves - the front and back dips and their shoulders. It's possible the PO did that because that was the only way he could get it to seal - i.e. your oil pan is a little warped or your block hasn't got straight edges.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
james04si

1977 CJ5 

There is no need to use any sealant on the 1 piece felpro gasket or most gaskets for that matter. The gasket alone will seal as long as you have clean flat surfaces on both the oil pan and the block.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

All I ever used was a bit of Avaition form a gasket to hold things in place for put'n the pan and stuff back on.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I believe the instructions that came with my felpro called for rtv at the rms and timing chain cover.
Its about the only thing that doesnt leak on mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.