Oil Leak out of nowhere... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil Leak out of nowhere...

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
BoulderCJ

Oil Leak out of nowhere...

Hey guys -

I drive about 35 miles Mon-Thurs to my master's program up here in Colorado. Pulled into the quickie mart in Boulder, got a drink, started down the road to Denver, steering felt REALLY funny, then corrected itself. Made it to Denver, got out, looked at the jeep, and it was leaking oil like a stuck pig.

I figure that these two events must be related since the Jeep never did this before. I am intimately familiar with it as I do all the work and can't make it make sense.

Long story short I have to get back to Boulder tonight and any advice would help.

BoulderCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Call a tow truck and a cab.

Where is the leak coming from?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Pics would help. Also you said steering went funny is possibly power steering fluid.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hydrauic fluid is quite distinct in smell, texture and taste to engine oil. I suggest you put some on your fingers and have a good old look, smell and lick.

If it is pushing a lot of fluid it will be the engine or the steering (unless you have an auto).

If just a power steering hose check which one. If a high pressure hose forget it for now. It may also be the seals in the steering box.

Depending on how your belts are run you could just take off the PAS belt. Do not run the pump with no fluid, it will not like it.

Quite easy to drive with no PAS, just lean a bit more on the wheel.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil leak , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.