Oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oil leak

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Oil leak

hey guys, 78 6 cylander cj5, just got it a few months ago and still learning about it. I have a leak but not sure where it is leaking from or how to fix. I can see where it is dripping from but don't know what it is. Here is the best way for me to descibe the location, if you are on acrawler and go under head first on the passenger side and right under oil pan I can see it dripping from an area to the right of the oil pan. Not sure what that is so not sure how to figure out how to fix the leak. There are a bunch of bolts around the edges which I checked to make sure they are tight and they are. It looks like a pan but definitely not my oil pan. Thanks.

kp33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

most likely your rear main seal or head gasket. both are common leaks on all cjs. I've tried to fix my leak but it never stops. you may get lucky and be able to get yours to stop if you have enough money to get it worked on. however with an old jeep an oil leak is expected
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

CJ's like old Harleys like to mark their territory and by replacing the oil you can go longer between changes, and if you allow it to coat your frame on that side - less rust!

But seriously the oil pressure sending unit is in that general location too and they like to leak.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Is the rear main seal under the center console are, that is where it is coming from, looks like my starter is right next to it. Thanks.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp33 View Post
Is the rear main seal under the center console are, that is where it is coming from, looks like my starter is right next to it. Thanks.
If it is leaking in the area that is front of the tranny but behind the engine chances are it is rear main, I have had valve covers leak there as well check those first, but usually you get oil on the exhaust mani especially on a v8.

Does it leak all the time or only right after you run it?
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
kp33
1978 CJ5 

Seems like only after I am parked. Problem is I don't know enough to know a lot of what you are all saying, all I know is if I am directly under my oil pan with my legs handing out from the passenger side it is to the right of the oil pan, I believe my starter is right next to whatever is leaking. Thanks.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

If it leaks after you run it while it sitting and stops shortly there after that is the rear main oil seal. It is leaking also while you are running, let it idle and see if it leaks i have had one almost run out. We put some leak stop in our oil on the ranch jeep just becuase we don't run it that much, if you use it alot gonna have to get it fixed or add oil all the time.
1981 CJ 7
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
kp33
1978 CJ5 

That's the other weird thing, I got it in November, was leaking then but very little, little to the point where my oil level went down very little. I haven't had to add any oil since I got it In November. The leak hasnt gotten worse.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

It might not but you should be able to get underneath and pull the dust over off of the bell housing which is where the tranny and engine go together that is where you should see oil coming from if it is the rear main.

IF it hasn't gone down enough to refill since november isn't that bad, but still a leak. Just have to watch where you park might not want to stain your driveway if you have one.
1981 CJ 7
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Try to snap a pic and post it if you can (not sure as a new member if that's possible without the proper number of posts). run your finger up the back of the engine block from the valve cover down. If you have fresh oil on your finger than it's a good chance that it's coming from the valve cover.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
kp33
1978 CJ5 

No oil on the engine anywhere, its definitely coming from right under my seats, I will try to take a pic, there are about 10-12 bolts around the edge of what ever it is, its right next to my starter.
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp33
No oil on the engine anywhere, its definitely coming from right under my seats, I will try to take a pic, there are about 10-12 bolts around the edge of what ever it is, its right next to my starter.
right under your seats is your tranny and t-case which would be leaking engine oil. with my rear main seal leak I had oil coming up around the shifter plate which is the rectangle around your shifter. after I got that done I don't have oil there anymore. remember, your jeep is moving foreword and oil is a liquid so it will run backwards from wherever it is leaking
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpat View Post
most likely your rear main seal or head gasket.
Actually the 2 most likely places to leak engine oil are the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket. The oil pan can also be a problem area.

To the original poster - I would see if you're getting oil leaking out in the valve cover gasket area. Check on the rear side of the engine, between the engine and firewall, to see if it's oily.

If you end up deciding to replace the rear main seal (RMS), you will have to pull off the oil pan anyhow which means you'll have to replace that gasket. Be sure to use the Fel-Pro one piece gasket, and use silicone sealant in the correct 4 areas. If you replace the RMS, buy 2 seals in case you foul up the first one trying to install it.
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

[QUOTE="Ken4444"]

Actually the 2 most likely places to leak engine oil are the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket. The oil pan can also be a problem area.

thanks for clearing that up, that's what I always thought it was but I was told by a shop that the head gasket leaks... maybe that's just my jeep
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
kp33
1978 CJ5 

So I think its my transmission casing leaking oil. Its a box right under my stick shift. So its kit engine oil I'm leaking but tranny oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.