JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Oil leak (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/oil-leak-1496899/)

kp33 03-21-2013 12:34 PM

Oil leak

hey guys, 78 6 cylander cj5, just got it a few months ago and still learning about it. I have a leak but not sure where it is leaking from or how to fix. I can see where it is dripping from but don't know what it is. Here is the best way for me to descibe the location, if you are on acrawler and go under head first on the passenger side and right under oil pan I can see it dripping from an area to the right of the oil pan. Not sure what that is so not sure how to figure out how to fix the leak. There are a bunch of bolts around the edges which I checked to make sure they are tight and they are. It looks like a pan but definitely not my oil pan. Thanks.

Lpat 03-21-2013 12:45 PM

most likely your rear main seal or head gasket. both are common leaks on all cjs. I've tried to fix my leak but it never stops. you may get lucky and be able to get yours to stop if you have enough money to get it worked on. however with an old jeep an oil leak is expected

19jeep85 03-21-2013 01:29 PM

CJ's like old Harleys like to mark their territory and by replacing the oil you can go longer between changes, and if you allow it to coat your frame on that side - less rust!

But seriously the oil pressure sending unit is in that general location too and they like to leak.

kp33 03-21-2013 02:12 PM

Is the rear main seal under the center console are, that is where it is coming from, looks like my starter is right next to it. Thanks.

mastercraftka 03-21-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp33 (Post 15170787)
Is the rear main seal under the center console are, that is where it is coming from, looks like my starter is right next to it. Thanks.

If it is leaking in the area that is front of the tranny but behind the engine chances are it is rear main, I have had valve covers leak there as well check those first, but usually you get oil on the exhaust mani especially on a v8.

Does it leak all the time or only right after you run it?

kp33 03-21-2013 02:32 PM

Seems like only after I am parked. Problem is I don't know enough to know a lot of what you are all saying, all I know is if I am directly under my oil pan with my legs handing out from the passenger side it is to the right of the oil pan, I believe my starter is right next to whatever is leaking. Thanks.

mastercraftka 03-21-2013 02:45 PM

If it leaks after you run it while it sitting and stops shortly there after that is the rear main oil seal. It is leaking also while you are running, let it idle and see if it leaks i have had one almost run out. We put some leak stop in our oil on the ranch jeep just becuase we don't run it that much, if you use it alot gonna have to get it fixed or add oil all the time.

kp33 03-21-2013 02:51 PM

That's the other weird thing, I got it in November, was leaking then but very little, little to the point where my oil level went down very little. I haven't had to add any oil since I got it In November. The leak hasnt gotten worse.

mastercraftka 03-21-2013 02:57 PM

It might not but you should be able to get underneath and pull the dust over off of the bell housing which is where the tranny and engine go together that is where you should see oil coming from if it is the rear main.

IF it hasn't gone down enough to refill since november isn't that bad, but still a leak. Just have to watch where you park might not want to stain your driveway if you have one.

pman 03-21-2013 03:01 PM

Try to snap a pic and post it if you can (not sure as a new member if that's possible without the proper number of posts). run your finger up the back of the engine block from the valve cover down. If you have fresh oil on your finger than it's a good chance that it's coming from the valve cover.

kp33 03-21-2013 04:33 PM

No oil on the engine anywhere, its definitely coming from right under my seats, I will try to take a pic, there are about 10-12 bolts around the edge of what ever it is, its right next to my starter.

Lpat 03-21-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp33
No oil on the engine anywhere, its definitely coming from right under my seats, I will try to take a pic, there are about 10-12 bolts around the edge of what ever it is, its right next to my starter.

right under your seats is your tranny and t-case which would be leaking engine oil. with my rear main seal leak I had oil coming up around the shifter plate which is the rectangle around your shifter. after I got that done I don't have oil there anymore. remember, your jeep is moving foreword and oil is a liquid so it will run backwards from wherever it is leaking

Ken4444 03-21-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpat (Post 15170325)
most likely your rear main seal or head gasket.

Actually the 2 most likely places to leak engine oil are the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket. The oil pan can also be a problem area.

To the original poster - I would see if you're getting oil leaking out in the valve cover gasket area. Check on the rear side of the engine, between the engine and firewall, to see if it's oily.

If you end up deciding to replace the rear main seal (RMS), you will have to pull off the oil pan anyhow which means you'll have to replace that gasket. Be sure to use the Fel-Pro one piece gasket, and use silicone sealant in the correct 4 areas. If you replace the RMS, buy 2 seals in case you foul up the first one trying to install it.

Lpat 03-21-2013 07:31 PM

[QUOTE="Ken4444"]

Actually the 2 most likely places to leak engine oil are the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket. The oil pan can also be a problem area.

thanks for clearing that up, that's what I always thought it was but I was told by a shop that the head gasket leaks... maybe that's just my jeep

kp33 03-21-2013 07:50 PM

So I think its my transmission casing leaking oil. Its a box right under my stick shift. So its kit engine oil I'm leaking but tranny oil.

The time now is 05:27 AM.