Oh where oh where has my horn relay gone - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Oh where oh where has my horn relay gone

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Oh where oh where has my horn relay gone

Ack! Looking at the wiring diagram I thought I knew where the horn relay was. I went to the side of the steering column and found the black line with tracer but wouldn't you know, the line dissapears over the steering column. I didn't have time to remove the steering column shroud to search for the relay, can anyone tell me where that little bugger resides?

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

I'm not sure on your year, but if you disconnect the horn and press the button, you should be able to hear the relay clicking. It could be under the hood, so listen with the hood up!
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Mine's a '78 CJ5, thanks for the tip!
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Redmanchew

1982 CJ7 

on my 82 7 it was behind the dash above the headlight switch just kind of hanging around. the relay is pretty good size about 1 1/2" cubed and mine was gray with a black plug and a big honking red wire.

oops seen that you found it in another post..
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Yeppirs, but I still thank you for your help! When I replaced that relay last night I was dismayed that the old one looked rather new and mfd by same maker (lower slovobia) I wonder if they come higher than 20 amp. If it fails again I'm going to use a Standard (Brand Name Standard) relay as their electrical components are superior, especially their Blue Streak line.
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
MMPSM
1959 CJ6 

Try in the Ebrake area. Mine was hiding there.
MMPSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks MMPSM, found it and got it replaced. Now that I see Standard auto electric products makes these too, if it fails again I'll go with them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.