OH SH**! moment in my CJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
squidman
1984 CJ7 

i hear ya

when we bought our 84 cj7 the wife was messing around in the back yard ANDthe same thing happened shifter was baddly worn replaced no problems

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Chasebo
1981 CJ5 

I have had a moment like that, i had my jeep for about 3 months the guy i bought it from said he had rebuilt the rear axle, i had just left home and was going around a big turn right down the road from my house and i heard a tire start to wine, i slowed down and look over my left shoulder at the ground and i could see my whole back tire coming out of the housing, luckily i was only going about 20 i got off the side of the road with about 2 inches of axle left in the housing.....come to find out the idot did not pack the barings with grease....thank god i did not mess anything else up execpt the axle.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

My recent adventure:

As I was driving to work today, I was slowing down to stop at an intersection and the rear of my CJ dropped to the pavement, there was a lot of metal grinding and other loud noises. A second or so later I watch my right rear tire pass me by, roll through the intersection, narrowly missing cars. It goes through the intersection with cars on the other side slamming on thier brakes to avoid it. When it was all said and done the tire stopped about 200 yards from where I stopped.

Thank God no one was hurt.
A mile earlier I was on north bound I 25 doing 70.

When I got out to inspect the CJ, I found that the right rear axle snapped off at the wheel bearing.

Weber 32/36 DGEV,
4" Suspension Lift , 1 " body lift
8000 lb Winch,
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)

post #19 of 21 Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
SD84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

^^ Glad to hear your ok, that was a close one. Until I get my CJ tore down and rebuilt I do not drive it on Interstates or highways. I'd rather make sure its all safe and not jury rigged by the previous owner.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
bltbites
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my friends old cj7 did that he just took it out when he went into high school a little hard to steal when u cant shift
post #21 of 21 Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
I've also has a couple of those holy crap moments.. one stands out the most though. I was on the highway doing about 60 and all of a sudden in a matter of about a second the soft top went flying back and I had no roof. ;] It was still connected to the rear hardware so it just flapped in the breeze like a flag until I was able to pull over. (it was cold out, too) The guy behind me must have s*** cause he backed away rather quickly. ;]

The secret to a jeep, especially a cj, is you can't panic. I've had my clutch linkage fall out driving down the street, brakes go right to the floor.. it's endless.. and yet we still drive these things! We're all sick!
That happened to me too when I was in High School. I drove a YJ and worked at a Tractor Trailer Truck Wash and drove home wet every night. Well, one cold winter night at about 50MPH, "BOOM" it sounded like I was inside a bomb going off and the top came right off the rails and landed on the road!! Haha, the days of the DD Jeep!

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.