Offset Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Offset Dana 44

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 01-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Blue2
1979 CJ7 

Offset Dana 44

I have the good fortune to be a Jeep Addict. I have been running a 1979 CJ7 with Dana 300 Transfer onto an upgraded AMC 20 rearend.I like the narrow track set up.

Recently I have tracked down and bought a rare narrow Dana 44 centered differential rear axle. A spare in case my AMC 20 becomes unhappy for some reason.

I was talking with a fellow Jeep hobbyiest the other day and he told me that I could just used an older passenger offset differential as on the earlier Willys and Kaisers with no issues even if I was running a rear centered Dana 300 transfer case.

This didn't seem to make sense to me but he told me that he had done in a couple of times with no problems. Myself I would not do it without using the Dana 18 transfer case which lines up properly for a straight run to the rear end.

Any thoughts from Jeep smart builders out there? Is this possible or would it eat u-joints like crazy?

Blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

It's possible in a longer wheelbase vehicle, a CJ7 may or may not be long enough to allow it. On a CJ5 the driveshaft is just so short that you end up with a funky compound angle that doesn't work well. On something like a FSJ with a longer wheelbase people report using a centered transfer case with an offset rear axle (Quadratrac) just fine.

One of the rarer D44 Jeep axles is the offset flanged version used only in 1970/71. The earlier offset D44's used a coarse-splined two-piece axle shaft that is less desirable than the flanged version. In 1972 Jeep switched to the centered flanged D44 for the D20 transfer case, so this offset flanged version is pretty uncommon.
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

What Pathkiller said.
I wouldn't describe the centered D44 as rare, as it was in all 72-75 CJ's, as well as Commandos and Postal Jeeps.
The rare one is that offset flanged 30 spline unit, used from mid 70 thru 71.
FWIW, I used to own an early Scout which I ran for years with the offset model 18 tcase and a centered 44 diff, but it was long enough that the driveline angle wasn't too bad.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Blue2
1979 CJ7 

Rare or not I am glad to have acquired the one I have. Thanks for the insights on the offset D44 being workable as long as the drivesft is long enough.
Blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

I tried running an offset rear that was prob 4" offset from center using a Cv driveshaft and had only 2.5" of suspension lift and it still caused severe driveline vibrations. No issues below 20 mph but horrible beyond. Am sure the ujoints wouldn't have lasted even if stayed at slow speeds

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.