Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #76
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks BigTorqueCJ, that is what we ended up doing. We needed to get this delivery van rolling without having to charge the battery each night. This delivery van is being used as a scuba dive equipment truck and we have it setup pretty good with tank and equipment racks, enough to hold equipment for 20-30 divers. With that many tanks, weights and wet equipment on board it is a pretty heavy load, but that 4 cylinder diesel does great.

The next project is a second battery and isolator to power a bunch of flood lights for night diving.

Again I apologize for hijacking this Jeep thread. If we ever decide to get rid of this van I will come here first to see if anyone is interested in buying it for the engine.

Thanks and best regards,

-HuckFinn

huckfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #77
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a '92 YJ, and I was curious about this swap. This weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing an '88 YJ with the 4BT, NV4500 5-speed, Atlas II t-case with 5:1 reduction low and high to low synchronized, and two Ford High Pinion 9" axles (the front one was a rear end axle with the ends cut off and D60 knuckles put on).

I'm psyched about this!!! My old 4.0L with 242K miles on it has seen it's better days. It's either rebuild it, and run it for another 200K, or, do this swap and don't have to touch the engine (aside from mods, ) the rest of my life anyway! This is going to be a long, drawn out process because of budget issues, but, I'm going to do it!! There are so many benefits to doing this (no ignition system to get wet, boat loads of torque, great fuel mileage, etc.), and, I can't think of one draw back either!

The one issue I see is getting the 4BT, but, the rest isn't that bad. Thanks for the thread, it makes it simpler for me to follow, LOL!!

Jerry
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #78
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I have been reading through this thread and didn't see any questions about power steering at all. Can you run the stock pump? I know you guys state to only run the automotive style engines but I have a brand new still in the plastic 4bt with a p series inline pump on it that I received for free set up for construction equipment. Do you have any pics of the front accesory drive? I have the rear adapter coming to mate it up to a th400 for now with aspirations of a 700r4 later but didn't know about the front end.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #79
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Power Steering Pump

In response to bigredisb:

I suppose the ISB is in your big red Ram.?

Powersteering: I did have an AGR super pump in my CJ before the engine swap. Now I run the stock pump that was on the 4BT when I bought it. I don't know it's ratings, but it pumps enough volume to support my hydroboost brakes and power steering; even at slow crawl speeds.

"Can you run the stock pump?"
I don't think you can run your CJ's stock pump because of its input drive being different than the 4BT.

"I have a brand new still in the plastic 4bt with a p series inline pump on it that I received for free set up for construction equipment. Do you have any pics of the front accesory [sic] drive?"
I've heard great things about the p-pumped 4BT, but also that the VE pump is just fine for most applications. I don't have any pictures handy right now of the front accessory drive. What angles are you looking for? If you are interested in using vacuum, you can buy direct from Dodge to attach the vacuum and power steering pump assembly. Otherwise I would go to Cummins with a P/N from an automotive 4BT to source a pump from them.

The main reason that most of "us" recommend using the automotive application 4BT as your donor is because of the ridiculous cost to get another setup complete for your needs.

I think you will want to run the 700r4 right off the bat if you plan to do any highway driving.

The bottom line: for any technical engine-specific questions . . . go to www.4btswaps.com they have ALL the information you need!
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #80
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Bigtorque. Yes the ISB was in another ram that I had and now I have the common rail 5.9 in my current ram as well as I just bought a 2010 hemi for non towing.

Is the power steering pump being driven off the pto port just below the injection pump?

I just recieved an adapter setup for free that will adapt the flywheel end to a chevy bolt pattern so I am just focusing on the front end at this point.
This will be a long term project and I am not certain if I will go 700r4 or nv4500. The stock th400 would be just fine since I dont run any faster than 60 mph anyhow. Overdrive would be nice to offset my low gears.

The other thing is I would like to swap to a Dana 300 T case, change my rear axle, and get rid of my Q trac because its vacuum operated. I dont have power brakes so I dont have to have a vacuum pump at this point.

I dont need any pics if the pump is being driven off of the pto. I will just have to track one down.

I already have a intecooler off of a excavator that fits in fron tof my radiator so I am going to go intercooled as well as I have a HX35W turbo to go on when I change out the fuel plate and injectors.

I will check out the site and thanks for the info!!

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #81
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Yes, the power steering pump is driven off the accessory drive "port" just below the injection pump.
700R4 would be a good transmission if you want to go automatic; should hold up fine.

Can you tell me what excavator you found an intercooler from? I haven't found any intercoolers yet that have the fit that I'm looking for.
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #82
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I found one out of a Case CX130 excavator that uses a 4bt in it. Telehandlers also have intercoolers that would possibly work as well.

Unread 08-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #83
slacker92104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull1kevin View Post
Slacker,
you might consider using a 700r4 out of a 4x4 which is the same as the 4l60e just the manual version that you do not need the "aftermarket shift box" bell housing bolt pattern is the same as all sbc so the chevy turbo400 bread truck would already have the correct adapter for the overdrive. this sounds like such a cool swap wish I had just bought a amc 360.
Thanks for the info. From what I understand, the 4l60e is 1.5 inches shorter than the 700r4. An inch and a half doesn't sound like much, but it's gold in a cj5.
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #84
StringFellow
1985 CJ7 

Sir BigTorque-

I know you did some fab work but in your best estimate do you think a short body lift (in the 1"-1 1/2" range) would clear the body of the NV4500? I'm hoping to leave my shiny new Tuffy console in place.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #85
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
Sir BigTorque-

I know you did some fab work but in your best estimate do you think a short body lift (in the 1"-1 1/2" range) would clear the body of the NV4500? I'm hoping to leave my shiny new Tuffy console in place.
Yes, a mild body lift would certainly resolve many clearance issues with this swap and with the NV4500. If your Tuffy console is between the seats; then there is no issues with that part of the drivetrain tunnel. I only raised the height of the tunnel between the shift tower and the firewall.
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #86
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ttt so I can read the wealth ofinfo here
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #87
4502jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone is still watching it I'm in the middle of my 4bt swap into my cj8 and was wondering how you hooked up the clutch mater and slave cylinders beacause my jeep came with manual clutch not hydraulic clutch pics would be great
4502jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #88
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

BigTorque, do you know anything about the 4cyl cummins diesels that go into F150's in Brazil? My work is sending me down there for a project and I'll have a fair amount of downtime to hunt around junkyards potentially for a 4cyl cummins to ship back in the container our equipment is in. This is just a down the road thought, but I would love to put a 4BT/ISB type setup into my scout 800A project (CJ doesnt need a repower for a looong time hopefully).

Any info you might have on this would be much appreciated!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #89
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
BigTorque, do you know anything about the 4cyl cummins diesels that go into F150's in Brazil?
I don't really know anything about the international market for the 4BT, expecially in Brazil. I'd have to "google" it; but I'm sure you're capable of that. I really never heard much about the engine use outside the U.S. If your search for a Brazil sourced 4BT comes to fruition there will be a lot of people interested in hearing your story. Sorry I'm no help on this question.
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #90
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4502jeep View Post
I was wondering how you hooked up the clutch mater and slave cylinders because my jeep came with manual clutch not hydraulic clutch pics would be great
My Jeep was a manual clutch in it's AMC V8 gasser days. Since converting to the 4BT I have installed all the Dodge clutch parts. Therefore it is now a hydraulic slave and push-rod from a Dodge Ram that I use to actuate the clutch. The clutch release fork needs to be pushed frontward toward the engine which is opposite what my manual set-up did. I don't know what your set-up is, but if you need to be manual, then I think you will have to fab up a trick bracket(s) and push rods.

I think my set-up is great: 4BT; Cummins flywheel housing; Dodge flywheel, clutch, bellhousing; NV4500HD. This allows me to use all Dodge parts and it is a lot less custom that way. (Less custom = easier to find replacement parts).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.