Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #61
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredisb View Post
I would be more interested in doing this if Cummins had ever produced a 16v head for the 4bt. Maybe they had but I have never seen one.
The Cummins ISB 145/170 is a 16 valve. It's a doable swap, but much more complicated. There are very few who have successfully sourced these engines and swapped them into their rig. It's very expensive, compared to the 4BT.

Unread 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #62
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

Vibration?

I had a Pacemaker 26' fishing boat with twin 4 BT's. It shook so bad I GAVE it away. These are bread truck engines no? Loud, shaky and scary in this boat. I like my 4.2. No disrespect. Is is streetable with this motor?
Cheers,
Dan
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #63
slacker92104

Here's what I'm thinking so far. I'd like to mate a gm 4l60e behind the 4bt. I'm picking this tranny because of it's short size. I understand that it needs a computer to operate, but I was planning an using the trans-go shift kit to make it a "manual" tranny. I like the idea of not having to deal with the clutch, but still having full control over the gears. Anybody see any problem with the direction I'm heading so far?
Unread 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #64
slacker92104

***Bump***
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #65
redbird2289
1986 CJ7 

i recently came aware of diesel jeeps when a guy pulled in the the local wendys with a 4bt tj and i fell in love! from my understanding you didnt have to really change the fuel system? Any adaptations to the tank/pickup/lines/pump ect? sweet looking setup btw. what would you call a reasonable price for a engine?
Unread 11-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #66
slacker92104

From what I understand, there are no fuel system changes needed.
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #67
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

To kaptkhaos: yes it vibrates, but it isn't terrible like you describe on your old boat. It is very different from your 4.2. I have done a lot of big changes to my Jeep, but this by far made the Jeep the most different. It is very streetable and I love it!

To slacker92104: I don't do auto trannies; therefore, maybe someone else can help you there. Someday I might get tired of the clutch, but no time soon.

To redbird2289: You don't have to change anything from the fuel system if you source your engine from an automotive application. You should not buy a 4BT from anything other than an automotive application, unless you want to sink big money into the engine to set it up for your rig. All I did was remove and dry out my fuel tank and blow out the supply and return lines and then hooked it up to the fuel pump and tank return line.
I haven't looked for these engines for a long time. I still think that you should be able to source one that is complete and runs for less than $2K. But then, I'm not familiar with the current demand for these engines.
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #68
drummer31779
1978 CJ5 

I'm sure this has already been answered, but is the 4BT swap doable/recommended in a CJ5? I have a 78. Since the wheelbase is shorter, I know it kind of limits the transmission/TCase options.....
drummer31779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #69
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer31779 View Post
doable/recommended in a CJ5?
I would say "yes" it is doable in a CJ5. I gained rear driveshaft length after swapping from my AMC 360 to the 4BT. As previously described, I have the NV4500 which is 9 or 10 inches longer than my original T-150.
All in all I would have to say that a 4BT in a CJ5 should not limit your transmission / transfer-case options too much.
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #70
bull1kevin
1984 CJ7 

Slacker,
you might consider using a 700r4 out of a 4x4 which is the same as the 4l60e just the manual version that you do not need the "aftermarket shift box" bell housing bolt pattern is the same as all sbc so the chevy turbo400 bread truck would already have the correct adapter for the overdrive. this sounds like such a cool swap wish I had just bought a amc 360.
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #71
Mike1091
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question here. If I were to do this in a yj what would i do with the extra engine wires left over? like O2 sensor and I think theres a crank position sensor and perhaps others? could i just get rid of them and the jeep still run fine?
Mike1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #72
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

To Mike1091: What you do is completely remove every wire that is not in use. There will be no issues with the 4BT running fine; as it does not require any of those sensors that you are removing (they would belong to your old engine). I know my engine compartment has a lot of wires in it, but it has been cleaned up since the pictures that I posted on this thread. The reason I have so many wires is because I run dual batteries, air compressor, electric fan, auxilary lights, a winch, and many other things that have added to my engine bay wiring harness.
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #73
Mike1091
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks a lot!!
Mike1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #74
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok I am going to apologize from the start...

While I do have a Jeep and love Jeeps, my question is more about the 4BT engine itself. I have a 1978 Frito Lay delivery van with the 3.9L 4BT engine in it that I got from a friend with only ~40k miles on it. The engine runs great, but it needs a new alternator. It seems that this was not the original engine in this van so the guys at the local part stores are clueless. Through google search I came across this thread. I read that it can use the same parts as the 5.9L 6BT found in some Dodge Ram trucks, but these are much bigger alternators than what I need and cost more than what I was hoping to spend ($140+ and 100+ Amps). Can anyone tell me a part number for a smaller alternator that would work with this engine?

Thanks and I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

-HuckFinn
'90YJ 4.2L
'02KJ LTD
huckfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #75
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

I would have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop that you trust; that's what I did. Otherwise, take yours off and get a part number off of it. Then google that model and see what you can come up with. You are right about the engine you have. Cummins got their engines into the Frito-Lay trucks through a re-power program to replace the tired 6.2L diesels. Chances are your local parts guys will have a tough on with this alternator, if I remember correctly: it's a unique combo (of a case and internals) to this engine. Anyway you look at it: it's going to cost you some jingle to get your alternator fixed/replaced; certainly more than $100.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.