Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #31
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_CJ_Way View Post
power adds on your 4BT or now anyone who has used 6BT upgrades on a 4BT?
There are countless people who have enhanced the performance of their 4BT. This ranges from balancing the engine, making a custom-cut camshaft, new injectors, different turbos, intercoolers, turning up the fuel, and many others.
These can be found on the 4BT Swaps Forum: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

I am happy with the performance of the stock engine, however, I do plan on many upgrades over the upcoming years.
I recently bought gauges (pyrometer, and boost). I'm reworking the dash to look better with all the gauges I have. Anyway, you need to know exhaust-gas-temperatures before you start messing with the fuel; that way you know where you were before you started.

My plans: Install gauges, turn up the fuel, add the 366 governor spring, 6BT harmonic damper, add an intercooler, possibly change the turbo, and then who knows. This will all take it's good old time (a few years).

I just broke my first u-joint, better go fix that first.

Unread 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #32
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

i have a ?? did you ever think about useing the 6 cylider cummins or would it fit? i have an 06 ton dually that gets 18.5 mpg around town. im thinking in a lil ole jeep it would go forever on a tank of fuel unlike the cat in my kenworth 5 mpg. i know the 6 would be a bit of overkill but it would be cool huh? this isnt a project im looking at it was just a thought in my twisted gearhead. my cj has a 258 and will most likely be a v8 swap down the road its not a daily driver so not real worried about mpg
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #33
bigchiconky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

not too long ago, i seen a military spec. vehicle that was a jeep- looosley based off of a cj model for sale. it was an air craft mover & had a nissan diesel. it was only 2 wheel drive, but had a transfer case mated to the trans for low gearing. you guy's know anything about that set up?
bigchiconky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
DZLCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Possibly a CJ-10 plane tugger???
DZLCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #35
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

kw89425: I did think about a 6cyl cummins swap into my CJ. If I remember correctly I did some measurements and it would take up too much room. I would either have to really trick out the firewall, or relocate the radiator to the rear of the Jeep. The other thing is the weight of the 6cyl would be a lot more than the 4BT and that would be another issue to deal with.

bigchiconky: The Jeep/Vehicle you were looking at was likely a CJ-10 (like DZLCJ7 said) and the engine was probably the Chrysler-Nissan SD33 straight 6. I'm familiar with the Jeep and engine. The Nissan Diesel is a nice 6cyl, better with the turbo, but very, very difficult to get parts for. Not to mention, you can't fit any overdrive transmission to the engine.
Unread 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #36
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I know I am going to do this swap. I would like to go with all new equipment for it. I will have money from the Academy to waste, so why not. I am currently looking for a place to get crate 4bt. I found one, but it was in china. Can anyone help me out here.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #37
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Johnnyboy: First off, do you have any idea how much a new "crate" 4bt sells for. Then you would have to buy all the brackets/alternator/manifolds/turbo, basically everything else new as well. In my opinion, why do that when these engines go to 750,000 miles before needing any internal work. You don't have to worry about buying a "used" diesel the way you do a gas engine. You will have money from the Academy to "waste". Well, I never like to hear that word used that loosely, but you can do with your money what you decide.
Sorry none of this answers your question, so here you go:
As I understand, you cannot buy a new 4BT. You can purchase reman engines from your local Cummins dealer in the neighborhood of $5000. If you want a brand new engine, you will have to look into the ISB series engines that meet todays diesel standards.
Unread 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

No, this answers it fine. I am just now learning about diesel engines. i just figured getting it new would be nice. my buddy got a crate 350 long block for like 6000. I figured diesels would be similar. But i guess i can just go with one of those re manufactured ones. I wont be doing the swap myself, as i dont have the time when i am home or the welding and fab skills. Do you have any good forums like this one that you could recommend I can read up on

Unread 08-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #39
steponmebbbboom
1990 YJ Wrangler 

how many miles do you have on this conversion?
is the V8 suspension any different from the 6 or 4 cylinder suspension?
having the 258 in my jeep right now, i am afraid the jump in weight will affect my handling/cornering and the durability of the front end. will this heavy engine not be harder on the balljoints at least, if not also the leafs?
i may go with a heavier trans as well. are there heavier-duty wear items available for the front suspension to increase its gawr? id rather not be replacing my balljoints every 50K or less as i plan to drive this jeep daily.
steponmebbbboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #40
steponmebbbboom
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what, no one here thinks a suspension upgrade is needed to deal with hundreds of pounds of extra weight?
steponmebbbboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #41
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I would think you would need one. I know of people getting one for just the weight of a winch and winch bumper. What would be a good axle with the 4bt and 35 inch tires?

Unread 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #42
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steponmebbbboom View Post
what, no one here thinks a suspension upgrade is needed to deal with hundreds of pounds of extra weight?
Like I said earlier in the thread, the Cummins 4BT diesel is only 60lbs > the AMC 360 V8. This in not hundreds of pounds of extra weight as you suggest.

Read on . . .
Unread 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #43
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

steponmebbbboom asks; BigTorqueCJ responds:

how many miles do you have on this conversion?
I only have about 3000 miles on the conversion. It's not a daily driver, and a bunch of the miles/hours are off-road.

is the V8 suspension any different from the 6 or 4 cylinder suspension?
I do believe that AMC Jeep put heavier springs on the CJ's with V8's. Personally, I have Wrangler Old Man Emu Front springs over my front axle.

having the 258 in my jeep right now, i am afraid the jump in weight will affect my handling/cornering and the durability of the front end. will this heavy engine not be harder on the balljoints at least, if not also the leafs?
Harder on the ball joints? I don't think the 4BT is any harder on the ball joints than a cast V8. I have a Dana 44 under the front of my CJ and don't think there are any issues there. I have noticed NO difference in handling as far as steering/cornering or durability issues are concerned.

i may go with a heavier trans as well. are there heavier-duty wear items available for the front suspension to increase its gawr? id rather not be replacing my balljoints every 50K or less as i plan to drive this jeep daily.
You will need a heavy duty trans for sure, the 4BT diesel torque is unreal.
If you are planning on a daily driver 4BT CJ, beware: The engine swap turns your CJ into a whole new beast! If you don't have Wrangler springs on the front of your CJ yet, I would start there. You can always add an add-a-leaf to get some more support and stability in the suspension.

johnnyboy_10138 asks; BigTorqueCJ responds:

What would be a good axle with the 4bt and 35 inch tires?
I recommend the Dana 44 up front to handle the torque from the engine and leverage from the tires. If you plan on running larger than 35in tires, look for a Dana 60. For the rear, the larger Dana 60 would be my axle of choice to handle the constant power/torque that Cummins throws at it.
Unread 08-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #44
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply Bigtorque

Unread 08-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #45
therage

This is an excellent swap.I see the thread also with the 6.2 GM.About the only swap I haven't seen as a newbie yet is the 5cyl M-B TD....I was thinking that might be a goodie if
1)Someone had a rusted out 300TD runner
2)Wanted a semi-simple, mostly mechanical-only swap into say a Kee or J-series truck.

But nothing beats a Cummins if one can buy one fairly reasonable. I actually had a beater 300TD Benz I bought for 700 bux I wish I'd kept now for donar purposes. Cheapest I've found a 4bt and t-400 was 1250 bux.
therage is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.