Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #151
Dash4Crash
1979 CJ7 

Hey could you tell me what you did for the oil pressure, temperature and tachometer gauges? how did you hook them up? did you use the ones on the 4bt? or did you take the gauges off the old v8 or i6?

Dash4Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #152
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash4Crash View Post
Hey could you tell me what you did for the oil pressure, temperature and tachometer gauges? how did you hook them up? did you use the ones on the 4bt? or did you take the gauges off the old v8 or i6?
I already had some gauges from my V8.
The gauges I have attached to the 4BT:
- Water Temp
- Oil Pressure
- Pyrometer
- Boost

I have a Diesel Tachometer but plan to remove it due to the frustrations of trying to get it working properly.
gauges-senders-1.jpg   gauges-senders-2.jpg   gauges-senders-3.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #153
Dash4Crash
1979 CJ7 

So did you have to re wire them? or did you use the same original wires from the cj? the 4bt i have has a few sensor on it. do i just connect the corresponding wires to them? such as oil pressure and water temp? so you could not get your tachometer to work?
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #154
04Xmatt
1980 CJ7 

Hey bigtorque, Do you have some more pics of the cj? Looks sweet.
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #155
cummins5552
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Im using isspro gauges and my tach is a two pulse mag pickup. Ive not seen many people have very good luck with an alt. hookup. What style of tach do you have?
cummins5552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #156
Dash4Crash
1979 CJ7 

i just have the one that came stock with the jeep. So i really dont know how it works. how about oil pressure gauge? just plug it in?
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #157
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Gauges, Sending Units, Painless Wiring

Quote:
So did you have to re wire them? or did you use the same original wires from the cj? the 4bt i have has a few sensor on it. do i just connect the corresponding wires to them? such as oil pressure and water temp? so you could not get your tachometer to work?
I guess technically I didn't rewire any of the gauges, but I did disconnect and reconnect them. I don't have ANY original wires from the original CJ. I've replaced everything with a "Painless" kit. I put the fuse box and aux. fuse box in the glove box for easy access. I would have it no other way! All my gauges are Autometer. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my V8. I just pulled out the oil pressure sender from the 4BT and put in the compression fitting for the oil line to the gauge. For the water temperature gauge I replaced the sending unit from the 4BT with the one I had in my V8. The new gauges are "boost" and "pyrometer". I just removed a threaded plug from the intake on the 4BT and plumbed my boost line to that port. For the pyrometer I drilled a hole in the exhaust pipe (just behind the turbo), welded a bung to the pipe and threaded in the sending unit. And again, I have not been able to get my tach to work.

My water and fuel gauges on my speedo cluster have long been disconnected. I just don't use them and it doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Xmatt View Post
Hey bigtorque, Do you have some more pics of the cj? Looks sweet.
Thanks, look below . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552 View Post
Im using isspro gauges and my tach is a two pulse mag pickup. Ive not seen many people have very good luck with an alt. hookup. What style of tach do you have?
I have the Autometer Diesel Tach. It is the alternator pickup and I don't like the way it get's it's signal. The needle is all over the place. I disconnected it so I wouldn't have to look at it. There are a ton of threads on 4BTswaps.com regarding hooking up a tach. I'm going to take the Tach off because I think it's just a novelty anyway. I can hear my engine and feel my power curves just fine enough to know when it's time to shift.

Quote:
i just have the one that came stock with the jeep. So i really dont know how it works. how about oil pressure gauge? just plug it in?
I don't know if the oil pressure gauge sending unit is the same resistance levels on the 4BT as the Jeep, you'd have to test them. I would just pull out the sending unit from the Jeep and replace the one on the 4BT.

Some pictures: (this is how my CJ looks most of the time) Let me know if there are any angles you're looking for; I have a large archive.
myjeepcj-1.jpg   myjeepcj-2.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #158
04Xmatt
1980 CJ7 

Why is there 3 fuel fill caps?
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #159
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

3 fuel caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Xmatt View Post
Why is there 3 fuel fill caps?
Oh, the explanation of the 3 fuel caps. If I had a nickel for each time I told this story I'd be a millionaire by now; or wait ... no ... I'd have like 5 bucks.

I bought a wrangler gas tank for my CJ because it was a larger gas tank. Turns out it is wider than the CJ's frame rails and wouldn't fit. Problem there is that I cut out the filler cap before finding out the tank would not fit. Then, many years later I bought a factory 20 gal CJ tank and installed it in my Jeep. Only thing is that I raised it up approx. 4 inches. Then the filler hoses were headed up hill. So I installed another fuel filler on the right side, an inch higher than stock height, so the filler hoses have a slight drop in them on their way to the tank. That explains the 3 filler caps. I never felt like taking them out and filling the body in. It used to be a bonus feature when I needed to get emission inspection. (For those who didn't get that: there was always a filler cap somewhere on my Jeep that would pass the emission test).
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #160
LiveTo4x4
1977 CJ7 

BigTorque,

Do you know what bolts are needed to mount the bellhousing to the NV4500 and the bellhousing to the dodge/cummins adapter? I've got the part #s for everything to mount the adapter to the 4BT and the flywheel to the 4bt, but I can't find any info on the bellhousing bolts.

Thanks,

Brian
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #161
cummins5552
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah ive got my jeep and golf cart build threads on 4btswaps.com. what username do use on there?try the isspro gauges
cummins5552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #162
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTo4x4 View Post
BigTorque,

Do you know what bolts are needed to mount the bellhousing to the NV4500 and the bellhousing to the dodge/cummins adapter? I've got the part #s for everything to mount the adapter to the 4BT and the flywheel to the 4bt, but I can't find any info on the bellhousing bolts.

Thanks,

Brian
MOPAR numbers:
Flywheel Housing to 4BT bolts: 04761248 qty. 8
Wait that's not what you asked. I can't find a diagram for those number but the Dodge Dealer will be able to look them up and get them for you. I have the part numbers on an invoice I'm looking at but I don't know which one they are.
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #163
BigTorqueCJ
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552 View Post
Yeah ive got my jeep and golf cart build threads on 4btswaps.com. what username do use on there?try the isspro gauges
Could you guess? My username on 4BTSwaps is BigTorqueCJ

I had some write up going on and then was invited to submit a thorough 4BT conversion thread on JeepForum.
Unread 04-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #164
LiveTo4x4
1977 CJ7 

Here is what Ive found so far. I'm still out of the country so I haven't gone down to the local dodge dealership, yet.

Flywheel Housing/Adapter to 4BT: Cummins part #3920447 M12-1.75 x 40mm
Flywheel to Crank bolt: Cummins part #3901395 M12-1.25 x 32mm
Washer for FW to Crank: Cummins part #3900269 M12

On the Dodgeparts.mopar.com site I can find the same parts, diff #s, but the FW to Crank bolts listed there are 34mm! That site (and none ive been to) show what bolts are needed for the Bellhousing to Transmission bolts and Bellhousing to FW Housing/Adapter bolts.

Im starting to think that because I have tons of idle time that I am over searching this and should just wait 'til I get back and just go up to the Dodge Dealership(there is also a Cummins shop in Augusta, GA, too)
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #165
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTorqueCJ View Post
I already had some gauges from my V8.
The gauges I have attached to the 4BT:
- Water Temp
- Oil Pressure
- Pyrometer
- Boost

I have a Diesel Tachometer but plan to remove it due to the frustrations of trying to get it working properly.
How much space do you have between the back of the alternator and oil filter? Pics? It looks like the oil filter is really wedged in there how hard is it to change the oil? I have been thinking about going with a vertical oil filter housing adapter like on the 6bt's. I am scared that my alternator may short out on the oil filter! Just curious to see if the type of clearance I have on mine is normal.... The alternator seems to be fixed?

Try getting the Dakota Digital DSL2...I have this on my jeep it runs off the R terminal and I get a pretty good tach signal (Factory CJ tach).... The reason why yours is jumpy is the connection at the tach is probably loose..I am guessing its a non-threaded m6 connection? There is a special crimp on connector available which will cure the jumpy needle which you are seeing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.