Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's

345K views 327 replies 94 participants last post by  nickgentleman 
#1 · (Edited)
Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ's

This is the Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for the Jeep CJ's

Okay, should I call this another 4.0 swap? Nope, it's a 3.9L and it smells like diesel! Before I get too far in depth with this thread, I'll first run through the highlights of my 4BT swap:

The Engine
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but anybody with a brain that does any research will always come back to Cummins when they are looking for a strong diesel engine to put into their Jeep.
My 4BT (4=4cylinder, B=B series, T=Turbo)
is factory rated at 105hp and 265ft/lb torque with a 17.5:1 compression ratio weighing in at about 700lbs.

The 4BT is the exact same Cummins engine as the first generation Dodge Ram Diesels 6BT except with the front two cylinders chopped off. Therefore all the Dodge Ram Cummins 6BT parts are interchangeable with the 4BT.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Top.jpg

Mounts
As far as I know, there is nobody out there that makes an aftermarket 4BT to CJ frame engine mount kit. I constructed my own and they can be seen here:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Picture16.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Picture15.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Picture14.jpg
I used polyurethane AMC V8 motor mounts and built the brackets myself.

Transmission
This is where it gets fun: everything here is built for the 6BT, so what I'm implying is that it is all huge and super heavy duty because it was built to handle the 6cyl with twice the power of the 4BT.
As far as transmissions go I have always preferred my manual trannies, so as Auto trannies go: I won't be much help.
I was fortunate to have a Dodge NV4500 in my Jeep previous to this swap. All I had to do to connect it to the 4BT was buy the following from Dodge:
1. Flywheel Housing
2. Flywheel
3. Clutch
4. Pressure Plate
5. Bellhousing with clutch release bearing
6. and all the small parts and bolts to put them all together.
I did have to put a heavy duty input shaft on my NV4500 to match the massive clutch.

Transfer-case
I already had my Dana300 with 4:1 mated to my NV4500. Nice case, so no upgrade needed here.

Cooling
I use my stock (heavy duty) radiator for an AMC V8 and have no overheating issues. I also have a 14inch Mr. Gasket electric cooling fan mounted to it.

Exhaust
I towed my CJ to the exhaust shop and had them bend up a nice 3in exhaust with nice Magnaflow muffler.

Alternator/Starter
The alternator that comes with the 4BT is a Delco-Remy SI series High-output alternator that is significantly larger than the D-R alternator that comes with the CJ originally. I had mine rebuilt and it is super nice and powerful!
I have a starter for the Dodge Ram Diesel; so as you can imagine, I expect it will last for a long time. http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Picture17.jpg

Wiring
Taking for granted that you can wire up a starter and an alternator (two things you should already have anyway) all you need to run the 4BT is one wire! The diesel has a fuel shut-of solenoid that must be powered up to open the fuel system to the pump. Therefore a "key-on" power wire (your existing "ignition" wire) is necessary to start and shut-off the engine.

Brake Booster
Since you lose the vacuum capability with running the Diesel engine, I decided to go Hydroboost.
I bought a hydroboost setup from a Dodge Ram Diesel. I had to make some custom brake lines to attach to my proportioning valve, but boy is it powerful!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb130/BigTorquer/Picture5-1.jpg

I'll continue to add to this thread to provide some more complete info on my swap. Meanwhile, enjoy some videos that I made: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManheimDiesel

For an unlimited pool of info from many many people that have done 4BT swaps I recommend visiting the 4BT Swaps Forum at: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

See less See more
#6 ·
The question came up in a PM to me regarding who did all the work for the engine installation...

To answer, I did basically all the work:
-Acquiring the engine off e-bay and driving to pick it up
-Installing a new rear main seal
-Buying a Flywheel housing from Dodge
-Acquiring the bellhousing and clutch through a friend
-Acquiring a new input shaft for my NV4500 from a friend, then installing it
-Attaching the transmission/t-case to the engine
-Dry fitting the engine and transmission into place about 20 times
-Measuring a few times
-Designing and welding up engine motor mounts
-Designing and welding up transmission mount
-Cutting more transmission tunnel out of my Jeep body to make for a raised transmission
-then making new covers for that area
-Drain gas tank, blow out fuel lines, and fill tank with Diesel
-And Everything In-between!

What I had a shop(s) do:
-Custom bend my exhaust
-Shorten the height of the charge air tube; so I could close the hood without hitting the engine.
-Inspect my Jeep
-Attach a new speedometer cable and calibrate my odometer
-Rebuild my alternator that, in the shop owners words, "looks like it was in a flood"

I have always taken pride in doing all my own work and fabricating all the custom parts for my Jeep with a few exceptions. I think everyone knows where their limits are. Usually the only time my Jeep has to go to see a mechanic is when it needs inspected.

#7 ·
Why did I decide to pick this engine over all the other options out there?

The Background:
First off, my CJ originally had the AMC 304 in it. As I found out they typically blow out the rings when they are older and before all was said and done I was putting all kinds of oil in the engine because it was all just passing by the rings.

I had just started college and needed a new engine. I acquired a used 1991 AMC 360 and once home I had it swapped and was driving again in 9 hours. I was able to enjoy that engine through my 4 years of college. (Of coarse, it had it's quirks like all AMC V8's do.) I do truly love AMC V8 gas engines, but when I was faced with another compression problem with the 360 I had a lot of thinking to do. I had seen the Cummins put into another CJ-7 a year earlier and thought to look into a diesel conversion vs. another gasser.

Other engines I considered before deciding on the Cummins include: AMC 360, Dodge Magnum 360, Dodge Magnum V10, Jeep 4.0 I6, Nissan/Chrysler SD33(T), and probably a few more. I did know that I will never have another engine with a carburetor on it, it's fuel injection or nothing.

The Debate:
Emission Inspection:
I was already faced with emission inspections and the limitations they put on you in Lancaster, PA. I knew if I wanted to continue with gas engines I would have to either re-apply all the emission crap or just drive my Jeep like never so that I don't go above the allowed miles for emission exemption.
Diesels, however are emission exempt. Except now, I believe, all 2007's and up have emission requirements.

Fuel Mileage
Diesels get better fuel mileage, period. That's why all big rigs run diesel. I have been getting twice the fuel mileage with the 4BT than what I got from the 360.
Diesel fuel works much different than gas in that you get much better torque, here's why:
In a gasser, when the piston comes up on compression stroke it makes the air hot and then when it gets to the top the fuel enters the compression chamber and is ignited by the spark plug. This causes an explosion and the piston travels down and turns the crankshaft.
In the Diesel, the compression is nearly twice that of a gas engine and the air is so hot when compressed; the diesel fuel is injected and the heat in the cylinder ignites the fuel and that fuel continues to burn as the piston travels down. The continuation of fuel burning is what gives diesel engines the extra torque, because they continue to push the piston down during the power-stroke.
What does that mean? Well, you get more torque = engine doesn't have to work as hard = better fuel mileage.

My conclusion:
-The 4BT is readily available and very very very easy to source part for. It is completely adaptable to all of the (heavy duty) Dodge Ram 6BT parts and my current transmission.
-I used to be a diesel mechanic, so I have my roots in diesel that way.
-I won't have to ever deal with emission inspection, as I know it today.
-I'll get much better torque and fuel mileage than compared to my V8 gas days.
-I hope to have much more torque off idle (and I do) for off-roading and rock-crawling.
-Diesels sound cool, are cool, and always turn heads. (I guess part of me is vein and likes attention, but I think most Jeep guys are like that. I think for me it's just that I like to feel that someone can appreciate all the time I put into my projects.)

#8 ·
have you considered that you can also run veggie oil in the diesel and you can get that for free from most resturaunts. Thats what I am thinking about doing after I canvert to diesel. There are planty of fast food and sit downs around here. Will only have to pay for a couple gallons of fuel just to heat the veggie oil. Supposed to get a little better mileage and an awsome smell of french fries.

#9 ·
I'll be honest, I'm not the guy to go to about veggie oil questions. I would say that yes I did consider it for about 20 seconds. :eek:
I know several guys around here that run veggie oil in their diesels, but for me I think it's too much of a hassle for my Jeep that is not a daily driver. I get fuel mileage in the high 20's, so for me that is good enough. I know that what I get from the pump is not going to hurt my engine, so that makes it less of a headache as well. Currently I don't have to fill my 20 gallon tank too often, no big deal.

Anyway, from research on well done Veggie Oil Diesels, here is basically what you have to do:
1. Source the oil
2. Process/Blend/Filter the oil
3. Store the oil
4. Install a second fuel tank in your vehicle
5. Start your diesel on pump diesel
6. When engine is warmed up, then switch to the veggie tank
7. Switch back to pump diesel when a few miles from your destination/home.

In my case the step(s) are as follows:
1. Fill tank with pump diesel whenever necessary
2. Enjoy the drive!

Disclaimer: There are a ton of guys that swear by veggie oil in their diesels, and for them I am happy. I would not discourage you from exploring this option. You will find with diesel conversions (especially the 4BT) there is so much you can do to a diesel that you can't do to a gasser. Additionally, there are so many small performance mods for diesels with huge results and improved fuel mileage; compared to gassers that give you very small power gains and less fuel mileage.

#11 ·
I personally did not feel the need to reinforce the frame to handle this engine. What some people do (and recommend) is to sleeve the bolts that are going through the frame. I'm keeping an eye on the bolts for now.
I don't know what California restrictions are, but it was plain and simple where I live in Pennsylvania: If your vehicle has a diesel and it is 2006 or older, it is emission exempt. Nobody seems to care what engine was originally in my Jeep, just that it is now a diesel.

#13 ·
White92,
I've had a 4.2 (you are talking about the AMC 258 right?), they are a nice, strong engine and I would think a fresh one would last you a long time! The only crapper is that they are carburetor run. Even though I'm 26 y/o I would say most of my driving is pokey style and I am comfortable cruising at 65 down the highway. I'll hold the engine up to 70 but for me that is about it. I have the NV4500, 4:10 gears, and 33in tires. I like my set-up, but I do think that with the diesel, overdrive is a must!
Happy Trails

#14 ·
Yes it's an AMC. I am guessing this engine should get me at least another 100k miles. I drive it every day to school and work. And it's got fuel injection. So I have nothing to complain about and I have no business thinking about a diesel swap anytime soon. But in the back of my mind I'm always looking for 4TB engine.

#15 ·
Well, I've been convinced that the 4BT can be taken right up to the governor without any ill side-effects. So, I decided to take the 'ol Jeep out and see just what it can do.
Here is what I found out: the top rpm from stock is around 2500
3rd gear top speed: 39mph
4th gear top speed: 60mph
5th gear top speed: 79mph

What a rush, winding the diesel up to it's factory spring limit!
-don't feel a need for the 366 spring yet.

#16 ·
How did it handle at 65-70? Did you run it long at those speeds? What kind of passing power did it have? 60 in 4th sounds low. But of course I have a 258 and know nothing about diesels. Has anyone mated a 4bt to a T-5? Would this tranny hold up against the torque in the 4bt? I have 131k on the odometer and am giving this swap some serious thought. Getting better gas mileage than 13.5mpg sounds freaking great!

Dustin

#17 ·
My Jeep has just about always handled great at high speeds. Before this swap I could hold the AMC 360 out at 90mph for as long as I liked. With the 4BT it is comfortable to run at 65-70 for any extended period of time. The engine has tons of passing power at highway speeds, you just might have to wait a second for the turbo to spool up. I personally wouldn't hold the Jeep and engine at 79mph, just because I don't drive that fast.
If the T-5 transmission is the Aluminum cased 5-speed behind the 258 6cyl that I'm thinking of: then I would say it would definitely not hold up to the diesel.
Oh, and when you put your 4BT in your Jeep, you will have to start saying, "fuel mileage". (And it'll be somewhere in the high 20's!)

#18 ·
Would this be a good swap for a CJ-5? My assumption is the engine bay is the same as far as space goes, but what about the tranny and t-case are they going to be too long? Currently I have the T-4 and D-300 and the AMC 151. I know the D-300 will hold up but I'm afraid the T-4 will turn to powder.

#19 ·
Would this be a good swap for a CJ-5?
That is a loaded question.
I would answer by saying that this swap will work for a CJ-5. I was actually able to lengthen my rear driveshaft by 5 inches, but I have the engine forward about an inch more than my old AMC. I think that some other swaps have a T-18 or maybe T-19 tranny, but you really should have overdrive with a diesel. For me, it just makes sense to go all Dodge and have the HD-NV4500; however, I do understand that makes for a long drivetrain in a CJ-5.

If you want to decide if a diesel is a good swap for you, then you may want to do some more research by jumping over to the 4BTswaps.com website.

I have done a ton of modifications to my CJ-7 over the past 10 years and I would have to say that putting the 4BT in it is the most dramatic change ever, but I like it!

#21 ·
I like that you shared the common dodge and cummins compatibility. Knowing I can use 6BT engine parts interchangably and dodge tranny and starter offerings is a huge deal and will make it much easier.

Care to share the cost of this adventure to the nearest hundred dollars or so?

#22 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm a huge fan that all the 6cyl Dodge parts work with the 4BT. It is cool to think that all those parts were made to handle an engine with more than twice the power of a 4BT in stock form.

I have heard that the average cost of conversion can be as high as $8000+. It all depends on how far in depth you go with the conversion and what existing parts you have beforehand.

I feel that I was lucky to walk away with my conversion for $3700. But as you well know, there is always more you want to do with the Jeep. If I were to have bought everything new, I'm sure I could have had twice in it what I did. Like I said earlier in this thread, I didn't rush this conversion and was able to find a lot of used parts on eBay and from friends.

Just an FYI: If you want to justify this conversion on fuel mileage alone, I figured it will take approximately 45,000 miles for me to break even for the upgrade. For me, that will take like 8-10 years!

Keep in mind, with the 4BT I've heard it'll go to 700,000 miles before any major engine work is required!

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the swap cost numbers. I think $3700 is a great deal and actually quite a bit less than I anticipated. I'm a patient shopper myself and think I'm going to scrap my 4.0 head swap and pursue this as a project instead. The required tranny will add quite a bit for me, but double the mileage will put my jeep back on daily driver duty and we could get rid of one car.

Justifying the cost will become even less miles as the price of fuel climbs. Also, diesels last 2-3 times longer than gassers before rebuilding is needed. That would probably be a never again issue for me. With a diesel and a 20 gallon tank, my range should go up to over 500 miles per tank. This will be very nice when exploring around for SE Oregon desert and mountain lands.

#25 ·
NV4500 connected to the Dana 300
Brian
That is a very good question, because I can't remember where I sourced those parts. I originally swapped out my T-150 and Dana 20 for the NV4500 and Dana 300. That was about 8 years ago. At that time, I bought a kit that had: (1) a new retaining ring and (2) sealed input shaft bearing for the t-case to mount to the trans. I'd have to look around to see where you get that stuff now, but I thought I got it from Advance Adaptors. I know JB Conversions has a lot of that stuff too. I am very certain that I did not have to replace the input shaft on my Dana 300.

#26 ·
Here is some pictures of the 4BT swap I did back in 2002. It turned out pretty good, runs nice, drives OK. Setup is the one listed in my sig. Wish I had more time and $$ to get everything else that I want to get done on it.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/122922291GyWgdR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.