Official AMC V8 swap thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official AMC V8 swap thread

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick_pride
amc 258 and 304, 360, and 401 will all drop in and connect to your trans.

Great idea for a thread. I have been digging for info as well and to have everything in one place would be great.

I would love to hear some more about the exhaust routing and possible problems with manifolds/headers and different trannies.
Won't the 390 bolt right in as well?

Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
tahoe wheelers

Great thread, wish this was here a month or two ago. Lots of my questions answered in this already. I made it though ok.

Here is what the finished product is on mine as of last week.

1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark
Won't the 390 bolt right in as well?
Yep I'm pretty sure it will, also the 290, 343, and possibly 327 will all bolt up.
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #19
totalpackage

My 81 6 swap to a 307 from a Nova..recommendations?

I have the opertunity to install/ replace the old 6 out of my 81 cj5 to a 307 from a Nova. What should I know? and or need to purchase?
totalpackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #20
marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJeep
I wish there were more Brits who posted here. It really makes my day!

Why's that kid?

I've only ever seen 1 other cj on the road over here and he was coming to my house to collect my old engine, it's Land Rover country over here and most of them don't like Jeeps which suits me fine. That's why there's not many of us on the forum.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #21
marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick_pride
amc 258 and 304, 360, and 401 will all drop in and connect to your trans.

I would love to hear some more about the exhaust routing and possible problems with manifolds/headers and different trannies.

Easiest option:

Hope fully in the next couple of weeks it's off to the exhaust centre to get it welded and exiting infront of the wheels, then around the corner to get it tuned up then finally it's off to the hills for a beating.

Pilot bushings I'm afraid I bought all three and compared which one fitted best.
Distributors I'd already purchased a MSD setup which replaced everything including the dizzy, but IMO it's an ideal time to swap to a HEI setup.
Mounts I couldn't really work out which bit I needed to replace and as shipping takes 6 days to 2 weeks I played it safe and bought some MORE mounts which with the exchange rate cost £130 over here and were really easy to install.
Bellhousing I've got a 176 tranny so it bolted straight up to it but I replaced the clutch release bearing while it was easy to get at.
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Slick7
1984 CJ7 

Considering swapping a 360 for a 258 in an 84 CJ7. The 258 crying oil and screaming overhaul.

I have a stock 258 / TF999 / Dana 30 (front) / AMC 20 (rear) / 31x10.50 tires

How long might I expect the stock drivetrain to hold up or should I include that in the budget as well?

Thanks for the thread .... very helpful.
Slick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
cromd

[QUOTE=marmaduke]Easiest option:

How close is your steering shaft to that header. I have the same setup and the shaft actually rubs the header that is closet to the front of the vehicle. Not sure what I can do about it.
cromd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick7
Considering swapping a 360 for a 258 in an 84 CJ7. The 258 crying oil and screaming overhaul.

I have a stock 258 / TF999 / Dana 30 (front) / AMC 20 (rear) / 31x10.50 tires

How long might I expect the stock drivetrain to hold up or should I include that in the budget as well?

Thanks for the thread .... very helpful.
Well it all depends on what kind of action your Jeep will see. I've got the Dana 30 and AMC 20 both stock with 33x12.50" tires. My Jeep is primarily used for camping and things of that nature, not a hardcore wheeler and it also sees a lot of the street and everything has held up great, even when I occasionally push it a little to hard *cough*burnouts*cough*
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #25
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just made this a sticky. I'd like to see all info, problems, solutions, part numbers, shop time..etc. to be added to this thread so we can refer forum members here for AMC V8 swap info. No info about Chevies, Fords, Studebakers..etc please.. only AMC V8s.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 04:48 AM   #26
Jeepcreep927
1985 CJ7 

This is a great thread. Exhaust seems to be my biggest issue. Right now I have stock CJ 304 manifolds. I tried regular hedman headers and as noted before, the steering shaft hit them. I am still VERY close to the fuel lines, and the clutch slave for my hydraullic clutch swap. Everything is heat wrapped and insulated, but I'd like to clean things up a bit with some headers that don't come within 1/4" of the slave and fuel lines. if anyone has any solutions I am open.
As far as offering anything, I don't believe the 2 core radiotors are enough to cool an 8. I tried one and there was no mistake about it running hot. It was a new radiator and everything was flowing, just not enough surface area to cool properly. I used a heavy duty 3 core (stock replacement from AutoZone) in my 360 swap, and it works fine. Still tossing around thoughts on fans.
Jeepcreep927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #27
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Studebakers..
you know some will think you made that word up..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #28
marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepcreep927
I don't believe the 2 core radiotors are enough to cool an 8. I tried one and there was no mistake about it running hot. It was a new radiator and everything was flowing, just not enough surface area to cool properly. I used a heavy duty 3 core (stock replacement from AutoZone) in my 360 swap, and it works fine. Still tossing around thoughts on fans.

I run my original 258 2 core fan with a Flexalite 18" Performance fan and it NEVER over heats, as for header clearances and fuel lines I'll try and get some pics on later, I swapped from a 258 though so I had to re-route the fuel line from the other side of the engine bay.
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #29
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepcreep927
This is a great thread. Exhaust seems to be my biggest issue. Right now I have stock CJ 304 manifolds. I tried regular hedman headers and as noted before, the steering shaft hit them. I am still VERY close to the fuel lines, and the clutch slave for my hydraullic clutch swap. Everything is heat wrapped and insulated, but I'd like to clean things up a bit with some headers that don't come within 1/4" of the slave and fuel lines. if anyone has any solutions I am open.
As far as offering anything, I don't believe the 2 core radiotors are enough to cool an 8. I tried one and there was no mistake about it running hot. It was a new radiator and everything was flowing, just not enough surface area to cool properly. I used a heavy duty 3 core (stock replacement from AutoZone) in my 360 swap, and it works fine. Still tossing around thoughts on fans.
I have a set of Dynomax headers on my 1976 CJ with a 304. Fit perfectly.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #30
marmaduke

[QUOTE=cromd]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke
Easiest option:

How close is your steering shaft to that header. I have the same setup and the shaft actually rubs the header that is closet to the front of the vehicle. Not sure what I can do about it.
Slightly better pics:

No clearance issues and as they 're fenderwell headers and the fuel lines run inside the chassis they are no where near the header either

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.