Official 4.0 swap thread - Page 29 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of 429 Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 AM
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHawkmeck View Post
And how does one diable the alarm before removing the PCM? Getting ready to rip out a ODB2 eng trans wiring out of a 97 Grand Cherokee.
That is a problem that no one has been able to figure out. It seems that once the security functionality has been enabled on the PCM, it is not possible to disable it.

The only solutions I've seen around the forums are to either bring the Sentry Key unit over from the donor vehicle and hide it under the dash somewhere (like this guy did: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...l#post15943545 ),
or find a PCM from a donor that did not have the alarm system enabled.

California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 429 Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 AM
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

I started this swap about a year and have yet to finish, due to multiple reasons, so I can't comment on fuel mileage or power gains. One of the reason I have not completed this is because of difficulty matting my T-150 to the 4.0. I ended up swapping flywheels and drilling the bellhousing for the CPS sensor which worked out great and once the wiring was right it started right up. The YJ flywheel is thinner that the CJ one and that difference needs to be made up in the throwout bearing. I have tried a few different configurations with parts I had lying around. I ended up modifying the clutch fork and using a Novak slave with a CJ clutch and throwout. I just got it back together last weekend and still need to hook the clutch up to see if this works. Novak has an adjustable throwout bearing that should make this much easier, but I would suggest just swapping in the CJ bellhousing dust shield, flywheel, clutch, throwout and using the CPS relocation kit. This is not my daily driver so I have gone long periods without working on it, but if I was to do this again I would likely go that route. Hope this helps. Jim
post #423 of 429 Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Jgott81
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP5 View Post
Thanks Matt, I did have to use a different pilot bushing, and will try a pressure plate from a 4.0. J-
What combination did you end up using for you T-150 transmission?

post #424 of 429 Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

I used the T-150 bellhousing that I drilled myself for the CPS, the 4.0 flywheel with a Novak bushing, CJ clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout and a modified CJ clutch fork. The YJ flywheel is thinner than the CJ so the distance has to be made up. As I said, you could probably due it using a Novak adjustable throwout bearing, but I ended up padding out my clutch fork to make up the difference. It's a little ghetto, but it has been working without any problems. I recently realized that one of the problems I had setting the clutch up was due to the Novak slave cylinder. I ordered the 3/4 and they sent me the 7/8 and with the master I was using I wasn't getting enough throw to release the clutch. Jim
post #425 of 429 Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Jgott81
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
I used the T-150 bellhousing that I drilled myself for the CPS, the 4.0 flywheel with a Novak bushing, CJ clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout and a modified CJ clutch fork. The YJ flywheel is thinner than the CJ so the distance has to be made up. As I said, you could probably due it using a Novak adjustable throwout bearing, but I ended up padding out my clutch fork to make up the difference. It's a little ghetto, but it has been working without any problems. I recently realized that one of the problems I had setting the clutch up was due to the Novak slave cylinder. I ordered the 3/4 and they sent me the 7/8 and with the master I was using I wasn't getting enough throw to release the clutch. Jim
Thanks for the reply. I'm still using the original manual clutch. Do you think it would work to just lengthen the adjustment rod to make up the difference of the two flywheel thicknesses? Also, how did you figure out where to drill the hole for the CPS and it be accurate? If I can save the money to do it myself and not send it off to Novak for them to machine it that would be great. I read this entire thread and it looks like someone might have posted pics on this but they've been deleted. Thanks again for your help.
post #426 of 429 Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

Unfortunately you can't just make it up in rod length. If I remember correctly the difference is 7/16 and by the time you make up the length of throw, your clutch fork will not have anymore travel left. I ended up welding 3/8 tube onto the ends of my fork to make it work, like I said ghetto, but it has been working fine. I got the information for drilling the bell housing off of here, but none of the links I book marked are working. I will try and find the information I used, may take a while for me to find it. It's easy to figure out if you have the donor bell housing but I will see what I can find. Jim
post #427 of 429 Old 01-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Jgott81
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Unfortunately you can't just make it up in rod length. If I remember correctly the difference is 7/16 and by the time you make up the length of throw, your clutch fork will not have anymore travel left. I ended up welding 3/8 tube onto the ends of my fork to make it work, like I said ghetto, but it has been working fine. I got the information for drilling the bell housing off of here, but none of the links I book marked are working. I will try and find the information I used, may take a while for me to find it. It's easy to figure out if you have the donor bell housing but I will see what I can find. Jim
Thanks. I'm doing the 4.0 head swap. I bought what I needed from the junk yard so I don't have the bellhousing.
post #428 of 429 Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

If you haven't seen this, it should help. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-into-cj5.html if you follow the link to the photobucket page he gives you all the measurements for the bracket. The bracket mounts using the 2 bolts on the upper drivers side of the bell housing. Make the bracket, attach the CPS and then out it up to the drivers side of the bell housing and it will be clear where you need to drill the bell housing. You may need to shim the bracket out to center in on the notched part of the flywheel. I will try and get a picture of mine, but I'm not sure I can get a picture that will do you any good.
post #429 of 429 Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Jgott81
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
If you haven't seen this, it should help. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-into-cj5.html if you follow the link to the photobucket page he gives you all the measurements for the bracket. The bracket mounts using the 2 bolts on the upper drivers side of the bell housing. Make the bracket, attach the CPS and then out it up to the drivers side of the bell housing and it will be clear where you need to drill the bell housing. You may need to shim the bracket out to center in on the notched part of the flywheel. I will try and get a picture of mine, but I'm not sure I can get a picture that will do you any good.
Awesome! Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.