Official 4.0 swap thread - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 swap thread

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #391
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP5 View Post
I don't know how well this thread is still monitored, but I could really use some help. I have 73 CJ and am trying to swap in a 4.0 out of a running 94 XJ and am having difficulty with the wiring. I believe the harness in the CJ is newer, but don't know what year, however the jeep was wired up with a simple ON/OFF toggle and momentary on starter switch, this is what I have:
Solid red 10 gauge from PDC going to the feed on the CJ
Solid yellow 14 gauge from starter relay going to blue hot in crank from CJ
Dark Blue 14 gauge from auto shut down relay to run hot red/white from CJ
Brown/yellow 16 gauge from starter relay neutral sense wire grounded
It is a fiberglass body but everything seems to be grounded, I wasn't getting continuity from the ground to blue/white signal ground on PCU so I grounded that, everything else seems good
MAP hooked up
CPS hooked up (but still has piece of cardboard in between it and flywheel)
No VSS or O2 sensor hooked up yet
Fuel pump not hooked up
I have also pulled all of what I think are unnecessary fuses ie hazards, heated rear window, headlamps, IOD motor, transmission, fuse block, AC, Aux lamp
When I turn it ON the ASD relay clicks and I get a momentary power to the fuel pump wire (green/white). When I hit the starter button the starter relay clicks but no power goes out to the starter and no power to the fuel pump.
I have read through this thread and all of the links more times than I care to think about and do not know what I'm missing. Any help with getting this going would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you're almost there! A couple things...
- the sensor ground should NOT be connected to chassis ground. It is a dedicated ground for the sensors directly to the computer. This helps maintain a clean signal from the sensors to the computer.
- Fuse 7 in the PDC (40A) provides power for both the heated rear window, AND the high power side of the starter relay. Try putting that fuse back in.

Here is a link to a copy of the '95 XJ Factory Service Manual. Section 8W is all wiring explainations and diagrams.

Unread 06-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #392
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

Thanks Ken I will re-check the wiring with the diagram, undo the ground and try it with the fuse in when I get home tonight.
CJP5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #393
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

I put the fuse in and ungrounded the wire and it cranked right over! Hopefully later this week I will be able to wire up the fuel pump and see if she fires up. I knew it was something simple, but it would have taken a long time before I would have looked at that fuse. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. Thanks. I will let you know what happens later in the week.
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #394
jeeperman19
1984 CJ8 

Swapped a 4.0 into my jeep years ago and have been dealing with the crappy ca smog ****...... Part of the issue is when I swapped the state made me use a custom tank to house the cherokee fuel pump (trail-quest) and the more modern type of gas cap (tj) so I cut and welded the two filler necks together so it looked like the stock cj piece but using the tj cap.

Ever since I have had problems filling it with gas (worked fine with old pumps with longer spout, new fill spouts are shorter) now it backs up and I'm lucky to get any fuel in at some stations, or it takes an hour to fill the sucker up. Has anybody else run into this or have any ideas to remedy the issue?

Pics of stock tj filler and how its oriented may help.
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #395
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Did you get the small vent hose that runs beside the fill hose hooked back up right? A kink in that can cause your symptoms.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #396
jeeperman19
1984 CJ8 

Pretty sure its not, but I'll check it.

*Edit- Its not kinked. but hoses are weather cracked glad I checked them lol. Thinking maybe moving the vent tube inlet further up the filler neck. Any thoughts on this?
Unread 06-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #397
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Not sure about yours, but mine has the vent tube almost all the way at the top of the filler neck. If you're in SLO today, I can swing by at lunch time or after work so we can compare...
Unread 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #398
jeeperman19
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Not sure about yours, but mine has the vent tube almost all the way at the top of the filler neck. If you're in SLO today, I can swing by at lunch time or after work so we can compare...
Thanks for the offer! I need to update my profile, I'm up north in San Jose now.

Can you snap a pic?
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #399
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperman19 View Post
Thanks for the offer! I need to update my profile, I'm up north in San Jose now.

Can you snap a pic?
That'd be an awfully long lunch! I'll get a pic when I get home this evening.
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #400
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

I was able to get my fuel pump wired and plumbed and she fired right up. I got the wiring cleaned up and tried to take it for a drive and realized my clutch doesn't disengage. I tried ratchet strapping the release arm to see if I just wasn't getting enough travel, but still nothing.

It's a T-150 with a 4.0 yj flywheel. I used the CJ clutch and after some research realize that the yj flywheel is thinner than the cj one. What combination of clutch, throwout bearing, arm, have others used to make this work. Thanks J
Unread 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #401
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP5 View Post
It's a T-150 with a 4.0 yj flywheel. I used the CJ clutch and after some research realize that the yj flywheel is thinner than the cj one. What combination of clutch, throwout bearing, arm, have others used to make this work. Thanks J
Sounds like you need to use the 4.0 pressure plate with the T150 clutch disc, and you probably need a different pilot bushing.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #402
CJP5
1973 CJ5 

Thanks Matt, I did have to use a different pilot bushing, and will try a pressure plate from a 4.0. J-
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #403
larryembers83

I am in the middle of my 4.0 swap have the entire doner Cherokee and not sure what all I need from the junction block from inside? Is there anything there that would prevent the engine from running?
larryembers83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #404
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryembers83 View Post
I am in the middle of my 4.0 swap have the entire doner Cherokee and not sure what all I need from the junction block from inside? Is there anything there that would prevent the engine from running?
What year is the donor? Does it have the anti-theft system? Are you trying to meet emissions requirements?
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #405
larryembers83

Doner is a 94 Cherokee emissions is not a problem and I'm not sure of security anti theft. I would guess not because the 4.0 was swapped in the Cherokee a few years back by a previous owner. I bought my CJ7 with a 4.0 in it from the start but they did such a bang up job and fried the ECU. I'm starting over hoping for better results, the previous set up did have a security box. The doner Cherokee I have now does not from what I have found

Last edited by larryembers83; 09-01-2014 at 10:09 AM..
larryembers83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.