Official 4.0 swap thread - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 swap thread

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #301
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Pm me. I have a css and adapter for u. Pm me for price.

billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #302
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Anyone have any good tips on thinning the wiring harness? There are a lot of wires not being used. I'd like to clean them up. I have a FSM, but I'm an electrical wiring retard. Feel free to talk to me like I'm an idiot.

Also, I'm still having some running issues. I'm either going to figure it out or swap in a 350 and be done with it. But, I'd prefer to keep the 4.0L. I'm sure it's a distributor thing. It just sputters and pops under throttle. Timing light says everything is fine. But the throttle response says otherwise.

HELP!

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #303
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

I did this about six months ago. What I did, is got a couple of wiring diagrams, marked them out, to determine which wires need to go in which ones need to stay. Wires that go to sensors that are needed in the swap Obviously need to stay, along with grounds. Everything else can be traced back to the Computer, and cut. I left enough wire at the harness to reconnect any wires that I may have screwed up on.

Just take your time, and leave enough wire harness ends to patch them back in if you screwup. Good luck!
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #304
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Thanks. I think that's my plan. It's always nerve racking when you start cutting wires.

The damn thing is running right now. Not well, but running. I don't want to screw anything up.

If I can figure out the wiring harness thinning and the timing issue, I'm going to be a very happy camper!

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #305
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

Anybody have a diagram of the '97 XJ fuse/junction box... specifically the pin outs?
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/XJ/

The FSM for the 99XJ should apply to your 97 OBDII. Section 8W is all wiring diagrams and pinouts.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #306
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

You can buy brand new 4.0 flywheels from NAPA fairly cheap. You will also need flywheel to crank bolts as the flexplate bolts will be to short.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #258
'83 CJ5, 4.0 MPFI swap, T18/D20, CenterForce II clutch, Dana44/30(73 CJ5) with 3.73's,'79 knuckles and 11" discs, sagged 4" lift, 2" BL, 34x9.50x15 Super Swamper Pizza Cutters

My wifes website The Vermont JeepGirl http://www.vermontjeepgirl.com/

"Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://youtu.be/9xRtRE45OVQ
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #307
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/XJ/

The FSM for the 99XJ should apply to your 97 OBDII. Section 8W is all wiring diagrams and pinouts.
YOU. ARE. THE. BOMB! Thank you so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983 View Post
You can buy brand new 4.0 flywheels from NAPA fairly cheap. You will also need flywheel to crank bolts as the flexplate bolts will be to short.
Thanks, Kman. I picked up a new flywheel from AZ for $65! Blew me away!! Used ones on Ebay for $65 and up... go figure. I have the new flywheel and clutch set... now let's see if it will all bolt up to a T18. And thanks for the bolt reminder. Gotta do that tomorrow.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #308
4milechuck
1983 CJ8 

Motor Mount Issue

Not ready for the FI part of my swap & hope that will come someday. 88 4.0 into my CJ-8 just this week (T-5/D300). Was told 258 motor mounts & frame brackets would bolt up to 4.0 block & my CJ frame. Had a 2.5 GM engine before & was told those mounts would not work nor the frame bracket. The 258 engine brackets & motor mounts fit fine, but after all are put together the frame bracket is about 3/4" too far to the rear of the rear of the vehicle to line up with 4 of the available frame holes. Same situation on both sides. As I live in an area where Jeep help is remote, I have totally relied on all you guys here at JF. Any help you can give is much appreciated.
4milechuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #309
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4milechuck View Post
Not ready for the FI part of my swap & hope that will come someday. 88 4.0 into my CJ-8 just this week (T-5/D300). Was told 258 motor mounts & frame brackets would bolt up to 4.0 block & my CJ frame. Had a 2.5 GM engine before & was told those mounts would not work nor the frame bracket. The 258 engine brackets & motor mounts fit fine, but after all are put together the frame bracket is about 3/4" too far to the rear of the rear of the vehicle to line up with 4 of the available frame holes. Same situation on both sides. As I live in an area where Jeep help is remote, I have totally relied on all you guys here at JF. Any help you can give is much appreciated.
Chuck, I haven't crossed that bridge yet, but I remember reading about an extra hole in the side of the block that you must utilize for the engine bracket. It moves the engine bracket forward a little. IIRC, it is a metric thread, and it is the only hole that has a metric thread. I hope this helps you, and I'm looking forward to your results.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #310
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We have the engine in the Jeep. It is bolted up to the T18. I had to get a new pilot bushing from Novak. Plugging Novak for their great service to me on the phone. I had issues with the metric bolt on the motor mount, but only because I live in a land where metric is not king, and it was hard to find the M12 bolt!

The engine harness is OBDI. This is a '97, and we converted everything to OBDI to make it easier to install. I am still at a loss on the "5 to fire"! I am clear on the principal. I have the FSM for a '94XJ. Am I to understand that I need only 5 wires from out of the entire bulkhead connector, and every single other wire in the bulkhead connector can be removed from the harness? No sensors go to the BH connector (I don't recall any sensors going there)? Take those lone 5 wires and plug them into the corresponding cavities in the CJ Bulkhead Connector, and that's pretty much it????? Rock-N-Roll time.

I need that assuring hand on my shoulder, saying, "Yes, Scott, you are going in the right direction!"

Thank you!

Unread 06-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #311
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

To continue beating this decomposing horse, my question relates to the pin out of the XJ bulkhead connector.

The first two pics are the same, one just bigger than the other. I have labeled the 2nd pic with the corresponding pinout scheme, as I understand it. The vertical lineup is plain (columns), but what about the horizontal line up (rows), as there are obviously pins that fall between rows? How do you, for sure, identify which pin belongs where? This is a very dirty bulkhead connector from a '94 XJ OBDI harness.

The third pic is the bulkhead connector on the firewall of my '79 CJ5.

The 4th pic is provided to me from another forum member. And it should correspond to the third pic.

The 5th pic shows all the wires coming from the XJ bulkhead connector, minus some that I have already cut out. Can I remove all but 5 of these?

Would somebody be kind enough to guide me through this step which is easy for you, but hard for me!?

Thanks, All.
img_0143_1.jpg   img_0160_1.jpg   img_0146_1.jpg   79bulkheadconnector655.jpg   img_0142_1.jpg  

Unread 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #312
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
The first two pics are the same, one just bigger than the other. I have labeled the 2nd pic with the corresponding pinout scheme, as I understand it. The vertical lineup is plain (columns), but what about the horizontal line up (rows), as there are obviously pins that fall between rows? How do you, for sure, identify which pin belongs where? This is a very dirty bulkhead connector from a '94 XJ OBDI harness.
Scott,
I think you have the letters reversed on your XJ connector. There should be 7 contacts in the A row, and 6 contacts in the H row.
The numbers count up from the outside toward the center of the connector. So, on row D for example, the pin ID's are D1, D2, D4, D5. --- D3, D6, and D7 do not exist.

I'm looking through the '95 wiring diagrams now to try to help you identify which wires you need, and which can be tossed...
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #313
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Scott,
I think you have the letters reversed on your XJ connector. There should be 7 contacts in the A row, and 6 contacts in the H row.
The numbers count up from the outside toward the center of the connector. So, on row D for example, the pin ID's are D1, D2, D4, D5. --- D3, D6, and D7 do not exist.

I'm looking through the '95 wiring diagrams now to try to help you identify which wires you need, and which can be tossed...
Possibly Ken, but I am labeling it according to the drawing that was provided me (see pic). Thanks for the help.
bulkhead-pinout-xj-cj_1.jpg  

Unread 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #314
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

It looks like jeepwhore had it right... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...l#post15506797

XJ -> CJ
position - size - color
E4 12ga RED (Batt +) -> 12A
H2 14ga YLW (Start) -> 13B
B6 12ga DB/YL (Ignition) -> 14B

If you retained the XJ Power Distribution Center, the fuel pump relay will be connected internally. If you ditched the PDC, the fuel pump relay will need to be triggered off 14B as well.

And you'll need to attach the grounds for your XJ harness as well. Not sure where they are on yours.... On mine, they were all terminated at a ring terminal near the ignition coil. Or, position G4 on the XJ bulkhead connector should work as well.

Here's the diagram I was using...
File Type: pdf 95XJ_Bulkhead Connector.pdf (33.6 KB, 21 views)
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #315
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Possibly Ken, but I am labeling it according to the drawing that was provided me (see pic). Thanks for the help.
Yeah, I saw that. In the photo of the "very dirty bulkhead connector," it wasn't very clear how many contacts are in the first and last rows. Regardless, both the XJ diagram I was referencing and the diagram you were using show 7 contacts in row A, and 6 contacts in row H.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.