Official 4.0 swap thread - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 swap thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #286
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman1990
Just thought I would poke in and say.....WOW. I never thought this thread would get like this, all these years later. I don't know where the info from CJ offroad went, as they had the best of everything. If people have specific questions they can PM me again. My jeep I did this to just sold a month or so ago, so I might do another soon, if I can find time to breathe.
Every great journey starts with one step! I went 4.0 head on 258 block + efi. Went well but but but the head gasket lining up was an issue. 7/16 head bolts vs 1/2 inch. It can allow the misplacement by 1-2 mm of the hg. Happened to me. Net result; slow demise of water used through cylinder #2. Got hot. Went bad had to rebore, repiston to 60'". Grrrrr other than that flawless and easy!

Thankyou supranan.

billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #287
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

I have heard of people using short lengths of copper tubing around a couple of the bolts to center the 7/16" bolts in the head.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #258
'83 CJ5, 4.0 MPFI swap, T18/D20, CenterForce II clutch, Dana44/30(73 CJ5) with 3.73's,'79 knuckles and 11" discs, sagged 4" lift, 2" BL, 34x9.50x15 Super Swamper Pizza Cutters

My wifes website The Vermont JeepGirl http://www.vermontjeepgirl.com/

"Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://youtu.be/9xRtRE45OVQ
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #288
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983
I have heard of people using short lengths of copper tubing around a couple of the bolts to center the 7/16" bolts in the head.
The head bolts can be centered that way ir by using bushings. That works totally well. Its the head gasket that cant be centered that way. It has to be eyeballed as the gasket holes are bigger than the 7/16 bolts. Thankfully for most, they have 1/2 inch head bolts so it doesn't present itself as a problem.
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #289
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Checking back in after seeing supraman's post. I last posted almost exactly 2 years ago after doing the 4.0 head swap and MPFI upgrade.
Still working fine and I haven't had to touch anything. Runs like a top. Love it, love it, love it and would never go back to the old setup!

A couple of notes after reading some of the later posts...

I bit the bullet and used the HESCO CPS kit and wiring harness. The CPS kit wasn't too bad but the harness was expensive. However.
It plugged right up and fit very well inside the engine compartment.
If you have the coin and don't want to spend untold hours modifying an OEM harness and/or fabbing up your own CPS mount, I recommend the HESCO pieces.
I did use the computer from a donor '94 Grand Cherokee and saved about $400. Other than the check engine light, my $27 CPU is fine.
(I even bought a spare in case of an EMP attack, but that's another story.)

Regarding head gaskets, bolts, etc. -
I used the 4.0 gasket and IIRC it had holes that matched up with the pins (dowels? not sure of the exact terminology) on the block so alignment wasn't too much of an issue.
Also, the block and tackle I rigged up allowed me to lower the head very gently and thus ensure the gasket was perfectly aligned.
Likewise the head bolts. The new head aligned on the pins, so the bolts only had to take tension, not side loads.
Anyhow, it's been two years of daily driving on/off road, interstate, etc. and not so much as a single issue (knock wood) so in my case all worked out well.

Finally, a question of my own: I used a standard throttle body from a Cherokee and it's fine. But can anyone say whether the 63mm Hesco unit brings anything worthwhile to the table?
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #290
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I can't comment about the TB but apparently swapping the jeep injectors out for ones from a neon is a big improvement. It's one of the add ons I'll be doing with my swap.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #291
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I can't comment about the TB but apparently swapping the jeep injectors out for ones from a neon is a big improvement. It's one of the add ons I'll be doing with my swap.
A Neon. Really? Please, do tell?
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #292
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

For example:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...-4-0l-1224714/
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #293
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Yes x2 on the injectors. 4 holes not 1. The 4.0 head and most 258 blocks were 1/2 inch bolts. There were 2 or 3 years where they went 7/16 thus allowing a bit of potential movement of the gasket!
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #294
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have been reading this thread, trying to glean every speck of info I can! Getting ready to do this swap in my son's CJ5. We picked up a donor '97 XJ for $500. I haven't finished reading yet, and I know I'm jumping ahead, but the research is fresh in my mind. For anyone wanting clarification on the VSS, the specific VSS is for a '91 YJ with the 4.0 -OR- 1988 Dodge Dakota, 2WD, with the 3.9L. They are the same part number at AZ. Other late '80s model Dakotas may work, but you'd have to check.

Here are some more links for the injector swap as JW mentions. Lots of info in the Cherokee Tech forum regarding this. This is a very good upgrade, and you can find the injectors, cleaned and ready to go, on Ebay for about $100 a set of 6.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...4-0-a-1145336/
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=92236
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...p-how-1305456/

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #295
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Late 80s Dodge ramchargers have the vss also. They all still need the adaptor for the spedo cable end to go from 3/4" to 7/8" that the CJ uses. I get them both and screw the adaptor on it and they dont know it didnt come that way at the pick a part yard. I think I picked up 3 of them in one trip with the adaptors for 7.99 each.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #296
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
Late 80s Dodge ramchargers have the vss also. They all still need the adaptor for the spedo cable end to go from 3/4" to 7/8" that the CJ uses. I get them both and screw the adaptor on it and they dont know it didnt come that way at the pick a part yard. I think I picked up 3 of them in one trip with the adaptors for 7.99 each.
'86... please go into more detail about the adapter. I think I read that it comes from the cruise control, but my son didn't find anything today at the JY. He brought home an entire cruise control unit from an XJ! Exactly where do I find it?

Also, for clarification, since our 4.0 came from an automatic XJ, I have to find a flywheel from a manual 4.0??? This will bolt up to a T18.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #297
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

I got mine here. It really wasn't worth my time to go junkyard hunting for a $10 part

http://www.speedometersolutions.com/
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #298
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Skerr, I was told from the old cj offroad boards that they were only on the early XJs with the Renix 4.0. I am lazy so I look for a Renix 4.0 (a easy way to tell a Renix is the throttle body only has 3 mounting bolts to the intake manifold, obd1 and obd2 has 4. I look for one that someone else has pulled the dash cluster out. Find the spedo cable and follow it down about 12" and it will unscrew from the cruse control sensor, the adaptor will be on the cable or on the sensor. Just a small black plastic adaptor that is threaded on the inside 3/4" and threaded on the outside 7/8". I just take it off and screw it on the speed sensor and they wont know that it is 2 parts. Hesco's is aluminum in the picture but you will see what the adaptor looks like. Easy to find around here as there are a lot of XJs in the yards in the Denver area. http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=showpic&id=50392&header=false
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #299
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Skerr, you know that the 97 is obd2 right? more that likely a 97 will have a skim. Do a search on how to defeat it before you take the engine out if it is still in and running.
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #300
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Skerr, I was told from the old cj offroad boards that they were only on the early XJs with the Renix 4.0. I am lazy so I look for a Renix 4.0 (a easy way to tell a Renix is the throttle body only has 3 mounting bolts to the intake manifold, obd1 and obd2 has 4. I look for one that someone else has pulled the dash cluster out. Find the spedo cable and follow it down about 12" and it will unscrew from the cruse control sensor, the adaptor will be on the cable or on the sensor. Just a small black plastic adaptor that is threaded on the inside 3/4" and threaded on the outside 7/8". I just take it off and screw it on the speed sensor and they wont know that it is 2 parts. Hesco's is aluminum in the picture but you will see what the adaptor looks like. Easy to find around here as there are a lot of XJs in the yards in the Denver area. http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=showpic&id=50392&header=false
Okay... thanks. Our yards are "Jeep poor", but I'll look closer and see if I can find one. If not, then I'll buy one from hesco.

Quote:
Skerr, you know that the 97 is obd2 right? more that likely a 97 will have a skim. Do a search on how to defeat it before you take the engine out if it is still in and running.
A buddy bought the whole '97 XJ for the engine. He was going to put it in his YJ. He heard it run and pulled it. Then he decided to go SBC. I bought the XJ, minus the engine, for a parts car for another son's XJ build (I've got 4 sons!). When the 258 started pukin oil we decided to go 4.0, and I bought the engine. So I ended up with the whole car. We're prepping the engine to crank it on the trailer, where it's strapped down. I do know it's OBDII, but I WASN'T intimidated. Now we're trying to find the "5 to fire", and it ain't working out so well!

-SO-

Would life improve if I find an OBDI ECM?

Can I use the OBDII harness, or do I need to pull the harness as well?

Anybody have a diagram of the '97 XJ fuse/junction box... specifically the pin outs?

Do I have to find the flywheel from a manual 4.0?

TIA...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.