Official 4.0 swap thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 swap thread

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #211
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintb View Post
Does anyone know if the 4.0 has an oil pressure switch? I have a 4.0 put into an 80 cj7 and have no place to plug the oil pressure switch. Am thinking will have to jumper it as there is only place for pressure sender? Inless I have missed it.
If you need it you could use a T fitting in the 4.0 block and run both the sender and the switch.

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #212
clintb
1982 CJ7 

Makes sense will have to determine if is needed, from what I can gather it controls the choke. I assume to make sure the choke heater does not work unless is running?
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #213
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Not sure about that one, but here is a thread about the uses for that switch.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...anifold&page=2
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #214
clintb
1982 CJ7 

Thanks: is good information in that thread. I searched and did not find this? New at forum so hopefully will learn the tricks to search and proper proticals.
Unread 11-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #215
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

No problem! Search is pretty useful. In fact I upgraded my membership just to get the advanced search!

In this case, I used the regular search the forum feature and you can see from the link I posted which contains "highlight=oil+pressure+switch+heater+manifold " that I searched for oil pressure switch heater manifold. I could have gotten there with any combination, but of course the more correct words you have the faster you will find what you are looking for.
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #216
clintb
1982 CJ7 

Engine Block Number

I have found the block number for the engine in this hybrid that I bought.
It is 506MX01 Or possibly 50bMXDI Hard to tell for sure. Does anyone have a location of a block cross reference. If not anyone know what this may be from?

Just found a web site that would lead me to believe is
1995 built June 242 MPI built 1st day of month.
5 06 MX 01
site is: http://www.amcrc.com/tech/engine.html

Last edited by clintb; 11-30-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #217
atthemattin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

anyone know if the CJ7 tranny will hold up to the added power of the 4.5 strocker? i have been looking into building a CJ7, but it didn't say anything if the tranny would adapt. anyone know the common tranny for an 85 CJ7 or if i should replace it with a different one if i go for the 4.5 strocker? i mostly stick with the YJs, but i know the french one i have in my 87 would be replaced with an AX15 if i was going to build it.
atthemattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:02 AM   #218
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

A tranny can handle just about any engine. It all depends on how you drive it. Are you heavy on the skinny pedal? When the tires slip do you just push it harder? If the CJ hasn’t been hacked and transplanted your VIN should tell you what the tranny is. Current tranny 4 or 5 speed? If you’re looking for options go to www.novak.com and do some reading. Jeep or Ford T18 and Chevy SM465 will give you the best strength and lowest gear set.
Last Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #219
pscj5
1972 CJ5 

Is there any way to get a 3spd out of my cj5 to bolt up to this 4.0 out of 88 Cherokee
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #220
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

it will bolt right up. the bolt pattern on the I6 never changed.
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #221
pscj5
1972 CJ5 

wiring from 88 jeep cherokee

i just got a 88 cherokee with the 4.0 its goin into my 72cj5 asap, what wires do i need to keep intact and what computer type parts do i need to pull in the process
Thanks
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #222
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

88 is a RENIX. don't ask me what that is or means. i just know it's different from OBDI (91-95) and OBDII (96-99 & 00-06). go to www.cjoffroad.com and in the 4.0 Swap forum search Renix. from what i recall it's very similar to the OBDI but sensors are in different location.
Unread 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #223
bummpyjojo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

help me decide

Alright I just totaled my 95 wrangler sahara well the frame got broke so the insurance totaled it. It still runs and drives great. So I took the nice fat check and went out and found a 92 jeep wrangler that was in perfect condition no rust at all the frame still has factory paint on it. Now someone put a 1975 258 in it with a 2bb computer carb. So heres my options

#1 pull carb off and put a weber 32/34 carb and a HEI distributor on it with possable a msd 6 unit and call it done.

#2 do i take both jeeps to a shope and have them do a full engine swap. (both engines are rebuilt.)

#3 do i take both engines to a shop and have them do the 4.0 head swap with the fuel injection as well.

#4 fix the 95 wrangler (about $800) and sell it off, was offered $1800 as is but could get $3500 fixed up easily.

I like option 3 for the power and fuel mpg I was getting 21mpg in the 95 and only 15mpg in the 92. I only have about a $1,000. to spent and am worried about what a shop would charge or if i should truct them. I really dont have time to do this myself and its really cold here in western ny

any help on this and between the two jeeps do i have everything needed or will i need to buy much more.

Thanks
bummpyjojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #224
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

What do you use your YJ for? Is it just a daily driver? If it’s only for the street and snow go with the option for the best mileage and road manors. With your situation there are too many options. What axles and tranny do both jeeps have? Is the gearing in both the YJs axles the same? Some of your good mileage on the 95 could be due to the gearing in the axles and tranny. I would talk with a few shops since you don’t plan on doing it yourself. A head swap or after market FI might be the most affordable option. But, the only way to get the same mileage you had before is a full drive train swap (engine, tranny, t-case, and axles.) The swap would be simple for a mechanically minded person. All the components are made for the same body style vehicle. But, that in no way means it would be affordable for a shop to do for you.

If you have any question about my question just ask. We’ll help.
Unread 12-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #225
bummpyjojo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well i decided to forgo the head swap and went with a carter carb comming on the 23th. The axles are the same except the new jep has a posi in it. I have a 4" lift kit waiting for a sunny day (yea over a foot of snow) I also just got a mallory ignition after doing the tfi conversion. I'm at 15mpg now and am hopeing to gain 2 mpg. After taping into the o2 i'm running real rich, but new carb will help. I do daily driveing and only trail off roading. I would love to get back into off roading with this one. But i did come to find out my old jeep wasnt totaled so i now have two jeeps to fix although still probaly just selling the old one.
bummpyjojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.