Official 4.0 AX-15 swap thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 AX-15 swap thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #61
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I cant see no other way,Going to cut the ear off and weld another ear on closer and shorten the rod to work and make some new brass bushings on the lathe.Glad I stated this in the winter.Taking a whole lot longer than expected.I hope this thread will help people down the road contemplating doing this swap.

ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #62
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed my Dana 300 to an AX15 tonight using the Novak adapter and it was fairly easy. I rebuilt my 258 I6 and had the transmission mounted to the engine before install, so when I installed it, it went in as a unit. For the T case, i just got under the jeep and bench pressed the T case in place. There is only 1 place the T Case feels right once its stabbed. Instead of using the studs and nuts Novak sent, I used grade 8 bolts and lock washers. In my opinion they worked better. The novak adapter has 4 holes to clock the T case, but you can really only use one.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #63
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
I just installed my Dana 300 to an AX15 tonight using the Novak adapter and it was fairly easy. I rebuilt my 258 I6 and had the transmission mounted to the engine before install, so when I installed it, it went in as a unit. For the T case, i just got under the jeep and bench pressed the T case in place. There is only 1 place the T Case feels right once its stabbed. Instead of using the studs and nuts Novak sent, I used grade 8 bolts and lock washers. In my opinion they worked better. The novak adapter has 4 holes to clock the T case, but you can really only use one.
I have mine on #27 set of holes and the left ear on the transfer case shifter bracket is hitting the bokt in the transmission before I can get it to bolt up.What set of holes are you using? Got a picture of yours mounted?
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #64
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to take a pic tomorrow. When i stabbed the T case, there was really one spot where it would go in properly. The T case is almost laying flat.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #65
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I called Novak today.They said if you index transfer case to about factory angle like I have it you have to cut the ear off..If you clock it one set of holes up or more it will clear..Not sure if will clear tub when clocked..Thats my fault though,When I made my trans mount I put my motor level and made a mount that thick.The guy at Novak said The Jeep engine needs to be tilted back about 4. I didnt know that so now I have to cut my tranny mount out and start over. I always thought you wanted your engine level?
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #66
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Great thread mate. I'm waiting for my novak adaptor to come in the mail. It will be a few months before I get my engine finished. I'm using the 4.0 in my CJ with the AX15 and D300. How much did it move the transfer case back? Could you use the stock AX15 bracket to the original CJ7 crossmember with just drilling new holes? How much do you think you will need to add/remove from the driveshafts?

Thanks for posting this info. I've been watching with interest.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #67
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-cj7 View Post
Great thread mate. I'm waiting for my novak adaptor to come in the mail. It will be a few months before I get my engine finished. I'm using the 4.0 in my CJ with the AX15 and D300. How much did it move the transfer case back? Could you use the stock AX15 bracket to the original CJ7 crossmember with just drilling new holes? How much do you think you will need to add/remove from the driveshafts?

Thanks for posting this info. I've been watching with interest.
Best I can tell the ax15 makes the drive line about 7" longer.Cant tell exactly till I get my transfer case installed. I used my old mount instead of the ax15 mount cause the ax15 mount was bad.
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #68
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymurf View Post
Best I can tell the ax15 makes the drive line about 7" longer.Cant tell exactly till I get my transfer case installed. I used my old mount instead of the ax15 mount cause the ax15 mount was bad.
7 inches longer? Compared to what transmission?
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #69
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
7 inches longer? Compared to what transmission?
It had a 3 speed.I believe a T176?
Unread 02-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #70
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

I guess that makes my question hard for you to answer. I had a T5.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
RockScar
1984 CJ7 

you can compare tranny lengths on Novaks site. Also add in the clocking ring thickness. The variable will be engine placemet, of course.

I'm glad to see another 4.0/ax15/d300 swapper! That makes three of us that i know of on JF doing it right now. I'm about ready to run; it'll turn over but no fire yet. I think I'm missing a ground somewhere. Also waiting on the tcase cable shift kit to put the tcase in, the on to driveshaft mods.

ymurf, is yours mounted yet?
Unread 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #72
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockScar View Post
you can compare tranny lengths on Novaks site. Also add in the clocking ring thickness. The variable will be engine placemet, of course.

I'm glad to see another 4.0/ax15/d300 swapper! That makes three of us that i know of on JF doing it right now. I'm about ready to run; it'll turn over but no fire yet. I think I'm missing a ground somewhere. Also waiting on the tcase cable shift kit to put the tcase in, the on to driveshaft mods.

ymurf, is yours mounted yet?
Still having trouble getting transfer case mounted. Did you use a clocking ring?which holes did you use?was the shifter bracket hitting your transmission?
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #73
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Clocked over one set of holes like Novak said to do and transfer case went right on.Dont think shifter will ever work,Transfer case is right up to the bottom of the tub.Going to make some 1" spacers tomorrow and lower pan so I will have a little more room.I am just glad I finally got it on.
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #74
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I got it started tonight. I spliced in the 12 volt to the dash and found the ignition but couldnt find the crank wire.I could find it at my cj bulk head but couldn't find it in the YJ harness.So I just hooked a wire to the cj bulk head and ran it to the starter.Then found the wires for the fuel pump in the harness and hooked them up.it started right up.Now I have allot of wires to remove.I only used 3 wires out of the YJ bulk head so the rest I will have to start removing.Here is a video of it starting.
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #75
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Well guys,Its Saturday again and I am switching gears for a bit from the Dana 300 shifter to thinning out the wiring harness.I know nothing about wiring so I am going to just get all the wore loom off and trace down wires that arent going to anything and remove or cut out.There are a whole lot of wires there with both harnesses .It may not run again when I get done..lol Pictures later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.