Official 4.0 AX-15 swap thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Official 4.0 AX-15 swap thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I got the tilt steering and steering box in today.It is not an exact swap..You have to use the plate that goes under the steering column that mounts it under the dash off of the YJ column.So make sure if you ever swap over to a tilt steering from a YJ you also get that plate thats under the dash that bolts the column up with your column,The CJ one wont work.The column I guess is a little bigger on the YJ one I guess cause of the dimmer and stuff on it. But then you run into another problem. They are a little different width. I had to mill the slots on one side to get it to bolt up.You can see the difference in the picture.Going to try and set motor in tonight when my son gets off work.

ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
I thought you had the external slave. For the internal you can run a early yj master. I ran a ax15 internal slave for 3 years. Went through 4 or 5 slaves. They would just start leaking. One lasted a year one lasted a month. I'm now running a external. What I was talking about is that the master/ slave for the external slave is sold as a one piece preassembled master/line/slave. I really didn't like that idea so I modified a different slave to work. The plastic assembly has issues.
Sorry for the hi-jack.....but I'm switching to an external AX15. Got any details on what you used for a master and slave?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Sorry for the hi-jack.....but I'm switching to an external AX15. Got any details on what you used for a master and slave?
I got everything from a 1994 YJ that was rolled.
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Steering is all in and also got motor in.I seen on the other 4.0 thread that motor mounts interchange.They kinda do except one hole on passenger side.There are no threads in the hole to put a bolt in.So I just put two bolts instead of three on that side for now. Not sure if later I will modify a motor mount for that side or plug the hole and drill and tap it.I think two bolts will hold for now though.Now tomorrow I will see about fabbing some kind of transmission mount and start researching the wiring. Then I will get a fuel pump and gas lines.Any help on the wiring would be appreciated.I thought I seen where you only have to use 5 or 6 wires from the CJ harness?

Unread 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
levergun
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I have a personal vendetta against the plastic master slave line assemblies due to multiple issues I had with it on a tj I used to own. I am running a 88 yj master with a modified slave. The slave was from a old gm. I still have the part number (on my phone now) and I had to grind the mounting face a little for clearance to the trans and redrilled the mounting holes. I also shortened it pushrod. It took about a hour or so to get the slave modified right but it survived a trip to crozet, va. And about 1,000 miles.
This is the only pic I currently have. It was during my prefitting stage. You can kinda see where I had to grind to clearance the trans and that the holes have been redrilled.

All in all the slave was like $27.. So it was a good cheap upgrade.
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will be following this thread. I am replacing the T5 in my Cj7 with an AX15 from a 99 TJ
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Well this evening O worked on fabbing up a transmission mount.Since my pan was already set up for the transmission I took out of the CJ I figured I would just use it.The AX15 mount wasn't going to work with my pan like it was plus it was broke anyway. Not sure if you can follow me on this with the pictures but I will try. You can see the difference in the two mounts in the first pic. AX15 used 4 bolts as to where the CJ used 2 bolts to mount to the transmission.The hole spread on my old mount was a little to narrow.You can see in the second pic where I put it on the mill and elongated the holes to fit two bolts on the bottom of the transmission.as you can see in the third pic one of the bolts that mounts to the transmission was going to be under the rubber mount.So I milled a pocket in the bottom of the mount to clear the bolt head that mounts it to the transmission.Also the head the other bolt that holds the rubber part to the mount was going to be between transmission and mount so I cut the head off of a bolt and just welded the bolt in the hole of the mount so I could just use a nut to mount the rubber to the mount.Not sure if that makes any since to you guys but I think it will work.I may have to move the belly pan forward or backwards to get the holes in the pan to line up with the mount.AX15 is a little longer than the old 3 speed.I will let you know how that goes.Think I will try to get it mounted after work tomorrow.Here are the pics.

You can see in this next pic where I had to weld the bolt.The head would have been between the mount and transmission.

Here is where I milled a pocket for the bolt head that bolts the mount to the motor.
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So are you going to bolt or weld the CJ plate to the AX15 plate? I was just in the garage earlier looking at the underside of the AX15 and trying to figure out how to reuse the CJ parts.
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
levergun
1979 CJ5 

The reason the ax15 mount is different is because the ax15 plate doesn't bolt to the trans. It bolts to a steel plate. I did a mount similar to you on my first swap. Worked just fine.

On mine I just welded a 3/16 plate I drilled and reinforced to my mount.
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
So are you going to bolt or weld the CJ plate to the AX15 plate? I was just in the garage earlier looking at the underside of the AX15 and trying to figure out how to reuse the CJ parts.
I slotted the cj mount so it would bolt to the bottom of the AX15 just like it was on the CJ transmission.And my pan is set up for this mount.I had to do some modifying but it should work. The ax15 mounts center to the transmission but the CG mounts to the pan a little off center thats why I used the cj original mount.
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Sorry no update for awhile.It got pretty cold last week.I have a 1000 sq foot garage.It is insulated and has central air and a propane heater but propane is pretty high so I dont turn it on unless its a must.Si I went out and got me a pellet stove.Bought it from my aunt and came with 13 bags of pellets.Now I can work every evening.It really does a good job.I just got it hooked up last night.Sorry for messy garage.Had to move some stuff around to get it where I wanted it. Its right next ti the rest room so I also wont have to run an electric heater in bathroom anymore..You can see my little shop buddy,He likes the heat to.He gets right down under the jeep with me when I work.Going to try and get tranny mount on tonight.
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

I ordered the clocking ring from Novak today after work.Going to try and put transmission mount and belly pan on tonight..Last night I ended up finishing the steering column and bleeding the power brakes and the hydraulic clutch.
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Post some pictures of the transmission mount you set up. And the Novak adapter when you get it.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Well mount to belly pan is way off.No way its going to fit the pan.AX15 is allot longer than the 3 speed that I had.Looks like probably 10" or so longer.Shifter is at the very front of the tunnel opening but I think that will work.Boots may not fit right but I can deal with that.I made another post hoping someone else who has put an AX15 in there CJ has some pics of how they got there transmission mounted to there belly pan or a fabbed cross member. I will give this some thought at work tomorrow and probably get some square tubing and start fabbing one myself. Its to far off to just move the pan back.
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Finally gout around to making a bracket for my transmission mount. I ended up using some .250 hot rolled steel.I bent it up to where I can weld it to my pan and mount the mount to it.I measured everything up when I got home from work and went back to work and drew it up in cad,cut it out and bent it and drilled the holes.I will put it on tomorrow after I clean the pan good so I can weld it to pan. Here is a pic of the bracket I made and thought I may show you the 5 axis water jet and the brake press I run,Its what I used to make the part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.