Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OEM Windshield Question

554 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  STJP 
#1 ·
I have purchased a REALLY nice OEM windshield frame. Not rusted out anywhere, Essentially rust free. Don't ask what I paid. No, not from Rudy nor was the price anywhere near Rudy's. I believe in buying the best OEM parts I can find and I don't mind paying for them, but I won't bend over.

So, the part was shipped to me minus the glass with the factory rubber cowl gasket and hinges. No rust underneath the gasket! No rust inside the frame! No rust under hinges. All the wiper parts in place and looking great. I am a lucky man.

There is a seam along the bottom edge (inside the cowl gasket) where the outside and inside sheet metal come together where I can see some rust. I've taken a picture of the worst spot, but there's no rust-through. The windshield will be stored for a while before paint etc. What should I do to bring the rust to a halt in this seam? I've thought of spraying with Kroil.

The green reference picture is from the resto thread by rixcj.

JS

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
JS,

I would wire brush the seam to remove as much of the rust as possible, then hit it with a phosphoric acid rust converter, like Prep & Etch (Home Depot - $16/gal). The P&E is runny like water, so it will penetrate into the seam, and convert the rust that you can't get to. Be liberal with it inside and out of the frame.

Then, assuming you will probably re-paint this frame at some point, I'd go ahead and prep it for paint, then spray it with a good quality primer for storage.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.