OEM parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > OEM parts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
lujack1984
1983 CJ7 

OEM parts?

I need some parts for my 1983 CJ7 and of course the boys at the local auto parts store aren't exactly knowledgeable. Things like the fog light/turn signal I need the socket not the lens (which is all they can find) Bolts to mount the rear seat, 7/16-20 1 1/4", nothing big just parts that I would think would be common but I guess i would be wrong. Any suggestions of where I could find these bolt on parts. I don't want custom parts that I have to grind on and cut just to get the fit, but if that's my only avenue of success then so be it.

lujack1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hi Brandon and welcome to the forum. Here's a member that sells parts he salvages from CJs http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/MoC and there's always http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/, although they usually are the most high priced.

I live only about 40 miles from you. Perry.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
lujack1984
1983 CJ7 

Thanks a bunch I actually bought my cj7 up there in Perry small world. I'm actually getting ready to go through the wiring in the whole jeep. It passed inspection and I got it licensed. I drive it everyday to work and back so it in sound shape just has a few hiccups here and there. I'm going to up load some pictures on here soon.
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
CSP

Go to a real hardware store for the bolts. The big box stores seem to only carry coarse threaded bolts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Go to a real hardware store for the bolts. The big box stores seem to only carry coarse threaded bolts.
^^^This^^^

Most decent hardware stores (typically Mom & Pops) have a complete "Fastener" section where you can by them by the "each". The quality of the bolt you want can be matched from grade "2" on up to grade "8" and beyond. Most likely they'll even have an Automotive Fastener section where you can match the dash screws, find grommets for the firewall and even body plugs for the floor.

Some big box stores have them, but most times you'll be wasting a trip. Don't settle for a grade "2" fastener when a "5" or "8" is indicated.
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Hurricane4

Check here for bolts, etc.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I was amazed at the selection that fastenal had, and I typically shop at mom and pop hardware stores. There's a bit of a premium for buying singles, but sheesh they have just about all the things you can't find at a m&p...like torque nuts for the output shafts of a Dana 300 T-case.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Go to NAPA.......
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I go to my local ACE hardware store for most of my bolts. They carry a nice selection of stainless hardware, grade 8 yellow zinc coated, and nyloc hardware. From time to time, I will stop into Fastenal and pick up a bag of 50 bolts of various sizes to have on hand. Most of the time you can get a bag, the individual cost is around $.05 each. You will never pay that good of a price at a store where they look at you with that deer in the headlights look when you show up with a fine thread bolt.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Tractor Supply Co is a good source of fasteners also. You probably have one in your neck of the woods. Welcome to the forum. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
lujack1984
1983 CJ7 

Thanks every one for the help with the bolts I actually ended up going to my local fastenal for the bolts and just ordered an air cleaner assembly from quadratec cause the previous owner actually got rid of the stock one and rigged on a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower assembly onto the carb errrr. I would have much rather found the stock assembly but no luck oh well. Now what I need to find is the rubber boot that fits onto the clutch linkage where it enters the bell housing. Now here are two other things that maybe you all could point me in a direction wiring is all messed up so many loose wires and dead ends I would really like to go through and redo it all but my cheap haynes repair manual isn't a real good guide if you ask me that and I will more than likely have to replace some components and I would like to know where I could find a good deal on a hard top for winter use by the way I'm making pretty good progress on the things I have been able to do
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
vinh0330
1984 CJ7 

luJack1984

Welcome to the forum!

I too grew up in Fulton, MO and yes trying to find parts around there or getting someone that knows stuff that far back or good salavage yards that have jeeps, is going to be an uphill battle, this is not a slam towards anyone, just most of the parts store's now days, if the computer doesn't show it, we can't get it.
If you order some of the speciality items, from Quadratec, Morris, 4WD, etc. you run into the shipping cost, so save up on your orders and they usually run specials, (X) dollars free shipping or every couple of months get free shipping. Here is the Jeep Forum 5% discount, when ordering from 4WD, (Ju4wddis1). I haven't used it in a couple months, it may have changed, updated. But it will help on the sales tax or shipping. Just to give you a heads up, on on-line ordering, what is discribed on their web page and what you may get, my not fit exactly, or mislabeled part, this is usually far and few, but it does happen. Of all the parts that I bought on line, it happened to me 3 times out of 20 or so orders. Check you parts as soon as you get them and if needed, they will usually work with you to get you the correct part. Some online stores, you have the cost out of your pocket to send it back for them to review the part, to decide if you will receive a credit or new part shipped. Also, I learned that after 30 days most online stores won't take the parts back, if they are the wrong part, so be proactive. I don't want to put fear into you, but be proactive, so it does't cost you more in the long run. Most of the places listed or noted on here will try to work with you, if the parts are not correct.

Your best bet is go with NAPA or O'Riley's, they should be able to use the Parts Catalog books to lookup and cross reference if they need to, and yes they usually will have to order it. For this you may need someone willing to spend a couple of hours looking at 3-4 books to get you the right part.

Your Auto parts store (off the shelf) repair manuals will not go into alot of detail, even the jeepers bible, had an older jeep that it referenced its information too.

If you are wanting to buy a book, have the library order on in for you to look at see if it is as detailed as you want. Then you can go online to buy or go to the Barnes and Noble route to look at it or buy it.
You will spend a lot of time on the internet, this site is very helpful and a lot of very helpful and knowledgable people are on here as well.

The site has helped me with my 84 build and I am all so diving into the wiring mess as we speak.

PM me, I might have some info that I can e-mail you, that might help.

Good luck!
vinh0330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.