OEM exhaust manifolds for a AMC 304 V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > OEM exhaust manifolds for a AMC 304 V8

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

OEM exhaust manifolds for a AMC 304 V8

Anyone out there know where I can get some OEM exhaust manifolds for a AMC 304 V8? I looked at some for a 360, but the outlet pipe looks like it will point right at my clutch linkage on the drivers side. I have headers on it now, but they are so far outside the frame it is almost impossible to put any kind of hanger on them. Plus it's just to loud for my taste. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Try these

http://www.jeepdoc.com/catalog/zproducts.asp?id=270

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/parts-a...t-manifold.htm

Same part numbers but jeepdoc.com is reasonably cheaper.
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
soundtech
1975 CJ5 

Or you could look for a jeed renegade with the 304, I think it may be the same block with a different bore. I am not sure of this, but it is worth a look. I was at the salvage yard today and they had a renegade and only wanted 50 for the whole exhaust system, manifolds and all.
soundtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Slawth
Utility Master Rebater

1978 CJ5 

Curt, both of those sites have the incorrect drivers side manifold listed. In my experience the split between the 304 and 360/401 is rarely listed. Many times the parts yard or vendor carries the drivers side rear dump as a "universal" manifold for all AMC V8's. You really need to have them check to make sure it is an actual 304 (center dump) manifold. I am not positive but it may be that only the CJ version of the 304 had the center dump manifold. JeepHammer would prob know this for sure.

I have had best luck finding them at salvage yards and here on the forum (and other forums)
Slawth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
Curt, both of those sites have the incorrect drivers side manifold listed. In my experience the split between the 304 and 360/401 is rarely listed. Many times the parts yard or vendor carries the drivers side rear dump as a "universal" manifold for all AMC V8's. You really need to have them check to make sure it is an actual 304 (center dump) manifold. I am not positive but it may be that only the CJ version of the 304 had the center dump manifold. JeepHammer would prob know this for sure.

I have had best luck finding them at salvage yards and here on the forum (and other forums)
I have gotten several center dump, driver's side, AMC V-8 exhaust manifolds off of 360 Waggys. Most were '70's Waggys.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post

Edit: My response was wrong - thanks!

Last edited by Curt Reinhardt; 11-03-2008 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Wrong suggestion!
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Thanks, guys. I was also looking at "tight tuck" headers from patriot exhaust products, but I couldn't find any for jeeps, waggy or otherwise. I want to stay away from salvage yards if possible. My jeep has had a lot of work done on it with all new parts so far, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd be willing to consider any headers that will fit with a minimum of fuss. I'll be dropping another engine in it in the next week or so, and the heddman headers it has now are junk.
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I went to jeepdoc.com and e-mailed them about my concerns. they sent me a photo of the driver's side manifold, and it's exactly what I need. They also told me I could always return it if itdoesn't work out. Thanks again for the help.

Jim
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Might want to make a post in the Wanted Forum, too. I generally try to give my money to other members before having to default to ordering from any business.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
I went to jeepdoc.com and e-mailed them about my concerns. they sent me a photo of the driver's side manifold, and it's exactly what I need. They also told me I could always return it if itdoesn't work out. Thanks again for the help.

Jim
They're a good company.
Unread 11-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Just a follow up here. Jeepdoc.com called me the day after I ordered the manifolds and he said the driver side was backordered (5-6 weeks). He did have some used ones he offered to sell me for $40. They came in covered in dirt, but a few hours in the sandblaster and short session with the torch to remove the bent threaded studs, plus free powdercoating courtesy of my employer, and they look as good as new. Beats the heck out of crawling around a boneyard in November.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
spk454
1983 CJ8 

if you ever want the headers, edelbrock makes shorty headers that end the same location as the stock manifolds.
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
denverdriveby
1978 CJ5 

hey Colorado CJ dudes...I'm looking for drivers side 304 exhaust manifold

I'm looking for a drivers side exhaust manifold for my 1978 CJ5 with 304 V8

Anyone here in Colorado area got one for sale??

Dutch (720) 468-0011 / denverdriveby@gmail.com
denverdriveby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverdriveby View Post
I'm looking for a drivers side exhaust manifold for my 1978 CJ5 with 304 V8

Anyone here in Colorado area got one for sale??

Dutch (720) 468-0011 / denverdriveby@gmail.com

Place a thread in the Wanted forum of JeepForum's Classifieds. That's where the people with parts watch for the people they can help.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.