OEM Air Cleaner with headers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > OEM Air Cleaner with headers

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
CSP

You're being too specific in your search. Your local auto parts store will have that filter element and the plastic part it sits in.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
You're being too specific in your search. Your local auto parts store will have that filter element and the plastic part it sits in.
Thank You CSP!

I was thinking (hoping) that might be it ... Yep, making things harder than they need to be ... all too often, that's just how I roll

Thank you again -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

On Grammys 86 the PCV is not a T. Just a 90 degree.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
On Grammys 86 the PCV is not a T. Just a 90 degree.
The difference is how they ran the canister purge line. I think AMC used the T-style until about 1983, then they started T'ing the purge off of the vac hose near the rear of the carb.

Either way should work fine.

Matt
80_258_49_state_mt_stdcool.jpg

vac-pcv.png

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The difference is how they ran the canister purge line. I think AMC used the T-style until about 1983, then they started T'ing the purge off of the vac hose near the rear of the carb.

Either way should work fine.

Matt
Thanks again Matt!!

Thanks to you and other here, I should have it put back together and working this weekend. Incidentally, here's a schematic for an '82 CJ that I found somewhere ...

vacuum_diagram_82_6cyl_manual_trans.jpg

Don't know if it helps, but I cleaned up the bleed through of a schematic on the other side from the original scanning.

Couple of other questions about stuff; mainly about other components that I'm missing. What if you don't have a Vacuum Reservoir w/ Check Valve, Diverter Valve (bypass), or Vacuum Switching solenoid (SOLE-VAC)? That's connected to the Carburetor SOLE-VAC Throttle Positioner. So, do I need all that connected to help with cold-starts? Then, the Diverter Valve connects to the Air Pump ... yeah, I don't have one of those (Air Pump) either ... so, does any of this really make a difference? I think a good question overall is - what components should CJ owners try to get connected, i.e. which ones really make a difference with cold-starts or whatever, and what components can we ignore and cap off?

I was also going to ask about the CTO, as mine is all connected to itself and/or capped off ...

img_3898.jpg

... but, I found some good info on sprynet: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/cto.htm

cto_ie_coolant_temp_override_valve.jpg

As always, would very much appreciate if anybody can help answer questions above or if you can add to what's there about CTO and importance or lack thereof ...

Thanks again -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

One more question getting back to what I was asking initially regarding header and manifold/valve built into it ... Can someone confirm or would you think this is a valve for the Pulse Air System?

img_3901_confirming_pulse_air_system.jpg

Thank you as always -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #22
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Hey CSP,

Well, one down, several more auto parts chains to go. Tried Advance Auto, but they don't have it and don't show it in their system. I looked around in their generic parts section dealing with PCV stuff, but didn't find anything there either. In an effort to minimize my search, can I ask you what chain would you expect would have it?

Thank you as always for taking the time to help!!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
CSP

Let me look and see what I can find. If I'm not successful I think I have a couple of those and I could just send you one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Let me look and see what I can find. If I'm not successful I think I have a couple of those and I could just send you one.
Hey CSP,

I'm speechless - Thank You!! That would be just awesome!! I will of course send you some $$ if you wind up deciding you can send one ...

Thank You very, very much again!!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Back to the subject of headers with the factory air-cleaner ... not sure if this will work with the headers that I bought some 15 years ago, but I found this finally ...

hedman_hedder_hot_air_kit.jpg

Found it here: http://www.hedman.com/?site=1&dt=108&d=29

Of course that's not a picture of headers in use on a Jeep, but hopefully it's a generic solution. Anybody used this kit and if so, did you notice a difference in warm-up time?

Then again, their kit is like $36, and there's not much to it. I should be able to fab something similar for allot less ...

Thanks -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 01-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #26
jason400
1985 CJ7 

Ok, so i will soon be installing a oem air filter in the near future, but for now the PCV valve on the valve cover (close to the fire wall) is connected to a hose that runs down to the frame and is just open to atmosphere, no filter or anything. I know this is not ok but how does this impact the vacuum system over all and performance. Should I run it to some other place?
jason400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Hooker Headers used to make a bolt-on kit that had basically a little heat stove that bolted around one of the header tubes with an outlet that you'd attach to the air cleaner snorkel. I just did a quick search but came up empty. You might give Summit a call and see if the thing is still available.

Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
Back to the subject of headers with the factory air-cleaner ... not sure if this will work with the headers that I bought some 15 years ago, but I found this finally ...

Found it here: http://www.hedman.com/?site=1&dt=108&d=29

Of course that's not a picture of headers in use on a Jeep, but hopefully it's a generic solution. Anybody used this kit and if so, did you notice a difference in warm-up time?

Then again, their kit is like $36, and there's not much to it. I should be able to fab something similar for allot less ...

Thanks -
John
That's the one I was talking about. I could've sworn it was Hooker though

Shawn
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #28
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason400 View Post
Ok, so i will soon be installing a oem air filter in the near future, but for now the PCV valve on the valve cover (close to the fire wall) is connected to a hose that runs down to the frame and is just open to atmosphere, no filter or anything. I know this is not ok but how does this impact the vacuum system over all and performance. Should I run it to some other place?
Hey Jason,

I think leaving the PCV valve on the valve cover open, might disable the Air Door and/or Heat Door of the snorkel on the air cleaner. Though I am not certain ... mine are not working properly, but I actually have not connected the PCV line on my rig as I don't have the filter or that fitting. I'm not sure if mine not working was the cause or ... if they just are just broke; need to do some more troubleshooting myself.

Sorry for the late reply ...

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 01-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #29
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
One more question getting back to what I was asking initially regarding header and manifold/valve built into it ... Can someone confirm or would you think this is a valve for the Pulse Air System?

Attachment 828186

Thank you as always -
John

This goes to an A.I.R. Pump you are missing.

Actually it goes to a Check valve then to the air pump.

Here is an 82 non computer (yes Cal. had computers in 82) vacuum diagram right off the grill
This is missing any Air or heat doors on the Air cleaner

THis is probably better for you.
But 82 had an Idle module for a solvac so this might be closer.
Just some little things are different from this:
82vacuumdiagram.jpg  
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #30
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

John,

Thank you very, very much for clearing that up!! I had no idea what to do with that one.

V/r,
John

P.S.
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.