Odd turn signal issue - need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Odd turn signal issue - need help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
tylersnyder
1983 CJ7 

Odd turn signal issue - need help

Ok guys i need a little help from the pros. I'm new to jeeps and i ended up getting an 83 CJ7. Its fairly stock and in really nice condition for its age. I have a few small problems that i'm trying to solve so i can end up getting it inspected and down the road this spring. I'm pretty good with anything mechanical but electrical kicks my butt.

Anyway, problem one is my turn signals don't work. They did work the day that i brought it home all but the left front. I changed the bulb in the left from and now none of the signals work. You can't even hear a relay clicking and i checked all the fuses and they are fine. The relays are fine and chained them out with new ones just to be sure. I don't believe that changing the bulb actually made the problem happen, i think it just happened at the same time. The other odd thing is that the right turn signal indicator lamp inside the speedo gauge is lit up and won't turn off! Neither the 4 way flasher or turn signals will work but when i turn the lights on all of the lights work, they just won't flash. Also, when i hit the breaks the break lights do come on. This kinda ties in with my second problem i think.

Second problem is, the horn won't work. Old horn was in rough shape so i replaced it anyway but still doesn't work. The horn button in the steering wheel doesn't really have a springy feeling either so i pulled it off and the plates and contactors are rusted up pretty bad. Also, if there is suppose to be a rod that runs down through the small plastic insert inside then its missing as well.

I'm not sure, but i'm guessing the steering column components need an overhaul and i'm guessing the turn signal portion and horn portion in the steering wheel are rusted up and need new nows. I can't take the wheel off to inspect yet but i'll have a puller within the next few days.

What should i check to help solve this stuff? Any help is appreciated!

tylersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

You need to rebuild the top of the steering column. The turn signal setup is about $30, the turn cancel setup around $10 and a set of bearings while your there about $20.
http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ti...ebuild-564821/
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Does the TS light stay ON all the time or only when you have the lights on?

If it only comes ON whe the lights come on then you have a ground problem with that turn signal socket.

If it's on all the time , it could be a number of things but most involve a new Turn signal switch.

The horn mechanismcould be a missing contact like you noted or the plug assembly for the TS not plugged in all the way.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
tylersnyder
1983 CJ7 

Thanks John and VooDoo

None of the TS lights actually come on and flash when you flip the switch. The regular lights will come on when you turn the lights on but just as running lights or whatever you want to call them but still won't flash. The turn signal indicator inside the speedo gauge also only shows up when you turn the lights on, its not lit when the lights are off and it also doesn't flash it just stays lit solid.

I will rebuild the turn signal switch as soon as parts arrive and in the meantime i'll triple check the ground. Is there a way to check if the signal should be working with my meter or to tell for sure if its the ground?

As far as the horn goes i'm pretty sure i have to find those parts inside and rebuild it. Mine are rusty but i still can't tell if i'm missing anything. Does anyone have pictures of what all is involved with the horn below the cap and down through the insulated channel / hole? I looked at exploded diagrams but i can't tell that i'm missing something because the pictures are very clear.
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Click on my first link, it shows step by step how to rebuild the column and what parts are in there. When i did mine i only replaced the bearings, turn switch, put in a new key switch and replaced the steering wheel. I found the wiring from the column to the loom was very badly corroded and the connections very poor so it was an easy thing to replace. I also cleaned up the loom a bit, removed all the fuses and cleaned the terminals (made a big differance)
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Remove your turn signal bulbs and check the contacts for corrosion. If even one makes bad contact it will do all kind of strange things. I live in a saltwater environment and fight that problem constantly. Don't forget the side markers, they factor in there also.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Check my, "ignition Lock Replacement" link in my signature.
It goes past the Turn signal all the way to the ignition lock.
It's for a Non tilt wheel. but much is the same.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
tylersnyder
1983 CJ7 

Excellent ignition lock write up. I'll tear into things this weekend or possibly later on this week (depends when the parts get here) and let you all know how this turns out. In the meantime i'll go through the contacts and clean stuff up accordingly. Any tips or tricks for cleaning or getting into those tiny sockets or plugs when cleaning contacts?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.