Odd problem steering after install 1" body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Odd problem steering after install 1" body lift

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Odd problem steering after install 1" body lift

Installed a one inch body lift to CJ7 today. Needed to replace 32 year old mounts and while I was at it, put in extra inch for some future mods. All went well with install. Daystar kit, who say that no need to alter clutch linkage, steering shaft, lines, wiring etc do to only inch lift.

Fired it up to take around the block and when backing out to turn noticed restriction in steering. Not major, is not total restriction, but is in the same certain positions, left or right. like the steering shaft is bent or something. Does not lock up, nor does it keep me from driving, and only requires little additional effort to turn past the tight spots.

Checked and the shaft is not touching or rubbing anything. Sprayed some lube on the joint, power steering fluid is OK. Whatever the restriction (if restriction) is seems to be after the shaft it enters the column going through the firewall. Turning signal work OK, etc.

All worked ok before adding the lift. At a loss as to what it is and how to fix.

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

You have to much pressure on the brgs in the column. The shaft has to slide, and sometimes it doesn't slide enough, and puts pressure on the brgs in the column. You can remove the pinch bolt in the upper you joint and try to take pressure off the column, if it frees up then you know that's the problem. You can try tapping up on the shaft gently at the upper joint with a plastic mallet.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

I would think that even though it's only 1" of lift the steering shaft still needs to extend at the slip joint. This would relieve the tension you are experiencing. Take a propane torch to the shaft where the slip joint is. You will notice two "holes". Heat them and the material injected at the factory will expand and leak out, allowing the shaft to extend.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=jeepmaster03;8972989]I would think that even though it's only 1" of lift the steering shaft still needs to extend at the slip joint... QUOTE]

I put the Daystar lift on mine and had no trouble. The steering column bell coupler should have enough slip without extending the slip joint in the center of the shaft.

On another the OP mentioned, I would double check the clutch bellcrank alignment. Mine worked for a while then failed on a cross-country trip. He may need to lengthen the clutch rod and the bellcrank's body-mounted bracket.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Fixed it.....

Loosened the clamp where the column joins the shaft that goes through the fire wall, (don't know proper nomenclature).

Turned the steering wheel all way to right then left then back to center. Re-tighten the clamp, all was back to normal........no problems

thank you all for your help
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.