Odd air/fuel mixture screws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Odd air/fuel mixture screws

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 03-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

Odd air/fuel mixture screws

I have the newest version of the holley 390 4bbl. When I screw the idle circuits in to like have a turn out from seated I start to smell a strong gas smell. I thought screwing the circuits in would lean it up. Do these circuits meter fuel or air? Also after completing the team rush my jeep idles best at like over 20degrees advanced, and doesn't run so well when I start to retard it from around 20 degrees. What does this mean. I haven't got it out on the road yet, but just revving the engine it feels more powerful than before team rush. I am anxious to get out on the road, but thought i needed to get timing and the idles circuits right.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

crrushing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

IIRC Holley adjusts the air, opposite of common.

As for the timing, find true TDC using a piston, not the balancer - it may have spun.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is this what yours looks like?

Not sure if this is the "Latest version" as this seems to be around a long time.

I searched the Holley website thinking they would have the latest description.
The Holley website lists some great technical manuals for free. Holley Performance Products Technical Library

Such as how your Holley works: http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ech%20Info.pdf

And how to set up a 390 Holley: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...199R8108-2.pdf

They still look like common house hold variety idle control mixture.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

Thanks cutlass I have been thinking it metered gas since day one. And I checked TDC last night and it was right on w/Timing mark.

John, yes that it exactly. thanks for those links.
crrushing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.