Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

O2 sensor on 82 CJ7 with 258

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  carter262 
#1 ·
I have a header on my CJ. Due to this there is no place for the O2 Sensor. Ok I have two questions about this.

First, how will this effect my engine, both how it preforms now and in the long run.

Second, if I decided to fabricate a way to put one back on does it need to be placed in the exhaust pipe after the place where all the header pipe converge into one pipe or can it go onto just one of the header pipes. Will it make a difference?

Thanks guys

#2 ·
lemme get this straight, your 82 CJ7 used to have an O2 sensor in the OEM downpipe?

I can't comment on the need to have one, unless you have fuel injection, and in that case it would be mandatory.
If it is necessary, a sensor bung is easily welded to the main collector to accommodate the sensor. ...it's a 10 minute job with the collector free from the Jeep (I just did it last week)

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Ok to answer a few questions from above.

1st, I thought all 82 CJ7s had an O2 sensor stock. So I believe, not positive, it had one on it. I had the header put on years ago when all this was new to me. I did not give it much thought then but now I am redoing the engine and in the process trying to learn as much as I can. I want to do it right and this subject has come up.

2nd, I am running the original carter carb. in my jeep.

3rd, Not sure what nuttering is. I have never heard the term. I'll have to look it up.

4th, Mike said I bought the wrong header. It is the one they offer in Quadratec, but I bought it from a local shop. The header is a two piece. I had to have a custom wye built for the exhaust system to accommodate it. Mike if you read this again can you explain why it is the wrong one. Thanks

Thanks again guys you are a big help.

#6 ·
2nd, I am running the original carter carb. in my jeep.
Does the carb have a big electric plug on the back or is the back smooth?

See my link above about the Nutter for a direct ignition wiring and simple vacuum setup if you have an O2 sensor

Mike if you read this again can you explain why it is the wrong one.
They sell headers with O2 ports in them for those that need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.