NV4500 GL-4 or 5?? again. . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > NV4500 GL-4 or 5?? again. . . .

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

NV4500 GL-4 or 5?? again. . . .

Did some searching but did not find the answer. . . .getting my NV4500 back from the shop next week. The rebuild included composit synrcos, not brass. So want to be sure I get it right with the oil. Do I want GL-4 or GL-5 now. I thought GL-4 but better safe than sorry.

Took the whole drive train out for rebuild just before xmass. . . .Sure will be nice to have no more leaks, stutters, bad sounds and more power.

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

It is listed on this page, just scroll down or click on tech info and specs.

High Impact - NV4500 5spd General Information:

Others may have more info on this as well.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
scooter
1982 CJ7 

The last Dodge Cummins truck I had came with a NV4500,there was a sticker on the trans that stated use of anything but Castrol Syntorque fluid will void any and all warranties. I contacted Castrol and was told they manufacture fluids specifically for auto makers etc and would not really fess up to saying they make Syntorque,not syntech mind you. I later found the stuff at a oil distributor locally for $365 a drum,also from Standard transmission in Texas for $50 a gallon or so,the Dodge dealer for something like $35 a quart and from the Chevy dealer for about half that cost. I have heard of guys running a mix of redline MT90 and one of their other products with sucess but have not tried it myself. My take on things after 3 tranny faulires, 5 gear,3rd gear and shaft,input bearing and shaft In 150K id make sure use the correct stuff.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.