Nv4500? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nv4500?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
andyp65

Nv4500?

well ive been rading a lot on the forum.......and well with all the engine work im planning and high performace stuff ill put on my 258 ill have a lot of power so ill end up breaking the t-5 the previous owner put in my jeep....so my question is how hard would it be to swap a nv4500

Edit: yeah and should i try to scavenge one and rebuild or buy one new......ill have enough money in 3 months to do it

[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR][COLOR=white] AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue] JEEP [/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER # 20 [/B]

And yeah its a real jeep with round headlights and leaf springs :)

Semper Fidelis!

Last edited by andyp65; 12-05-2003 at 07:26 PM..
andyp65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
scramblr

Since nobody replied yet. The NV is a great and strong tranny. It's also nice becuase you can run a lower gear in the axle and still be streetable with the 5th gear overdrive. It's not a hard swap, my suggestion is to just get a new one with the bell housing you need and so it will bolt up to your motor and 300 with no problems. Unless you find one someone already had done for a jeep it would be the simplest and cheapest route. You can find used ones in the junk yard or on the internet but by the time you get all the adapters and such it will probaly cost just as much as the new one, there is also the possibilty of getting a bad one when you buy used too. The only other problem is the length. Depending on your lift you will probaly find yourself needing a CV driveshaft.

Anthracite Jeep and 4X4 Association
scramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 01:47 AM   #3
eight

I think the NV4500 is just a stupid waste of money and is too long. An overdrive is a bad thing. With overdrive you need to run lower gears which are weaker than the gears you could run with a 4 speed. You've got 33s and 4.10s, if you want to go to any bigger tires than that you'll need to regear with an OD so you can use that gear. Now if you go with a 4 speed you're fine up to about 37s with 4.10s. And if you equivalate the final high gear ratio (useing diff gears to equate same RPM at MPH) in a np435 and a nv4500 the 435 usually wins in the crawl ratio. That's with the more common nv4500 with the 5.7 or such gear ratio. Only the early GM ones had the 6.somethin and aren't too easy to find.

I don't know if I'm just lucky but I still haven't killed the t4 in mine. 3 d44 u-joints, 2 d44 stub shafts, a drive shaft, 3 transmission mounts and 2 sets of motor mounts have died and the t4 still is going, making a lot of noise and popping out of gear, but going. I gave up on it dying and ain't gonna swap it out untill it finishes. When I do swap somethin in it will be a sm420, np435, or sm465.
Unread 12-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
Brock

I'd wait until you transmission messes up. The NV4500 is a great transmission, but very good points have been made in the previous two posts. Listen to eight's advice.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
andyp65

well the thing is this is my only vehicle and well id perfer not to wait around until it just messes up and im SOL with out my jeep thats why i worry about these things
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR][COLOR=white] AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue] JEEP [/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER # 20 [/B]

Semper Fidelis!
Unread 12-12-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
rock-rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight
I think the NV4500 is just a stupid waste of money and is too long. An overdrive is a bad thing. With overdrive you need to run lower gears which are weaker than the gears you could run with a 4 speed. You've got 33s and 4.10s, if you want to go to any bigger tires than that you'll need to regear with an OD so you can use that gear. Now if you go with a 4 speed you're fine up to about 37s with 4.10s. And if you equivalate the final high gear ratio (useing diff gears to equate same RPM at MPH) in a np435 and a nv4500 the 435 usually wins in the crawl ratio. That's with the more common nv4500 with the 5.7 or such gear ratio. Only the early GM ones had the 6.somethin and aren't too easy to find.

I don't know if I'm just lucky but I still haven't killed the t4 in mine. 3 d44 u-joints, 2 d44 stub shafts, a drive shaft, 3 transmission mounts and 2 sets of motor mounts have died and the t4 still is going, making a lot of noise and popping out of gear, but going. I gave up on it dying and ain't gonna swap it out untill it finishes. When I do swap somethin in it will be a sm420, np435, or sm465.
What are you talking about? the NV 4500 is a stupid waste of money??? Your are ripping on a modern truck 5 speed tranny that any realistic gas motor that would be swapped into a jeep would have a very difficult time breaking.

The Dodge gas NV4500 accepts the jeep 300 with no adapters, and you get a super tough 5 speed that is synchro'd in every gear, including reverse! NV4500's are the best manual trannys around, even if it is a 5.61 first model. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference when compared to an old-school 4spd truck box. One thing that would be noticed is the smooth shifter, no gear grinding, and short shifter throw. Perfect for the cramped quarters of a CJ.

andyp65- if the nV4500 is what you want. Get it. You will not be sorry. Plus it gives you room to grow in the future if you ever decide to swap in a V8 (401). Then you will really like that OD. Plus the NV4500 will never let you down, especially in a light weight jeep.
'85 CJ-7, fuelie '73 401, NV 4500, Atlas III 4.3, 14 bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, full width axles, Detroits F&R, 4 wheel discs, spring over front, coils and reverse 4link rear, 100 in wheelbase, 42 inch Swampers on hummer beadlocks.
rock-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
andyp65

thats what i wanted to hear the gearing isnt a problem......im dropping in 4.56 in after christmas and ill have moeny when i come out of boot camp enough to do the swap

Semper Fidelis!
Unread 12-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #8
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

What Rock-Rod said...

The T4 is not and will never as strong or have the strength of the 4500.

Yes it is big and heavier than the original transmission, so isn't a D60 housing but everyone seems to be switching.

I am building a Ford 5.0L Powered, '82 Bobbed Scrambler and I didn't even think twice about the transmission for the rig, I bought an 4500 straight from A/A along with the Atlass II, all setup and tested.

No other trans will give you the combo low first (5.61 or 6.31) and OD (.72) and have the strength to accept any engine.

You will not go wrong with the NV4500 and D300 T/C.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
bods7
1983 CJ7 

Rock Rod is right , NV4500 its the way to go but be careful. First off make sure your ready to spend the cash. Buying new around 3 grand all said and done. Thants what I spent on mine. Eight may be right about overdrive but there's always trade off and who off roads in 5th gear? Couple things to look out for not all the new NV4500's bolt to Dana 300. After I belive '97' they changed the output shaft on the Dodge 4500. So converting new ones required a Dana 300 input shaft change and a new bearing retainer. All of these including the tranny and everything you need is available at Advanced Adapters. That's where I got mine and they have a great tech. line too to help with question's? One place don't expect help is here on this site I posted may times on the NV4500 and there are no responses, I'll give you any advice I can when I finish my Jeep.
Ryan
bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2003, 06:27 AM   #10
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Well that's because people on this particular site seem less hardcore than on Jeepsunlimited.com or pirate4x4.com. Which is fine.

I too thought about swapping out my T5 for an NV, but I had just purchased new driveshafts after lifting my jeep and decided to just wheel the piss out of the T5 until it gives up the ghost and then bite the bullet for the NV.

Does anyone have any detailed writeups of the swap?
What's involved?

Thanks.
Unread 12-18-2003, 01:20 AM   #11
eight

Yes this modern truck tranny is a waste of money much like folding power heated mirrors or swappin 1 ton gm ifs in. Your can get greater strength and equal crawl ratio with a 4 speed, and you get a shorter drivetrain with the 4 speed.

Oh, and FWIW, I have a 98 dodge 2500 and I pulled the t-case once and it had the 23 spline input and circular pattern like a d300, but I didn't check that its exactly the same.

Last edited by eight; 12-18-2003 at 06:58 AM..
eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
bods7
1983 CJ7 

The NV4500 is a little expensive, but what for our rigs isn't. The cash requird for our hobby is something you know about getting into it. It still is the one of the best trannys for off road and as I said I'm not sure what year the output shaft was changed check with advanced adapters to be sure. According to them in '96' the internal profile of the NV4500 was changed which means that the Dana 300 needs a shorter index retainer, even if the spline count is the same.
bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Just got mine. I love it. I drive to where I wheel. It is perfect!
Unread 04-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Billy 4 Hp
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight

I personally like my NV4500, I have a 63:1 crawl ratio with 3.73 R&P and cruise at 1800 rpm at 65mph.... The only disadvantage may be a bit of ground clearance but this is a vehicle I drive to the trail which may be 1000 miles away at times... The slight lack of ground clearance just keeps me from trying something REALLY stupid...

Since mine is a Dodge NV4500 it bolts directly to my Dana 300 without any kind of aftermarket adapter...

It fits my needs, but may not fit yours...

Oh and nothing like having a fully syncro'd tranny 1st gear and Reverse included ...
Unread 04-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #15
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Nv 4500

There is something bigger and stronger, but i don't know how to post the pictures. Anyone can help me post pictures?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.