Nv4500 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nv4500

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-12-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
bods7
1983 CJ7 

Nv4500

I'm starting to put together my frame up resto and I ran onto an issue. I just installed my NV4500 in my 83 CJ-7. Once the transfrer case was on I realized that I have an extreame driveline (driveshaft) angle to compensate for. The transmission is almost horazoltal and the rear pinion is sticking up at about a 35 degree angle.
Now I did expet the driveline increase, especially with the 4 inch Skyjacker suspension lift, and the extended lenght of the NV4500. The lift came with a pinion shim adjustment that I thought would slove the problem. Just in case I also installed a 1" drop bracket for the tranny cross memeber. It's the fact that the tranny dosen't point down a little that is concerning me. Has anyone run into this situation doing a resto. I know one solution is a constant velocity (CV) shaft, and I plan on doing this, but even with the CV it looks as though I will need to do something else as well. I was wondering if the additional weight of the body and rest of the jeep will bring down the angle? My other option is to lower down the transmission crossmember more. Anyone use more than a 1" drop on their crossmember to get proper angles? Any thoughts or sugestions will help.
Thanks
Ryan

bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2003, 08:45 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bods7
I'm starting to put together my frame up resto and I ran onto an issue. I just installed my NV4500 in my 83 CJ-7. Once the transfrer case was on I realized that I have an extreame driveline (driveshaft) angle to compensate for. The transmission is almost horazoltal and the rear pinion is sticking up at about a 35 degree angle.
Now I did expet the driveline increase, especially with the 4 inch Skyjacker suspension lift, and the extended lenght of the NV4500. The lift came with a pinion shim adjustment that I thought would slove the problem. Just in case I also installed a 1" drop bracket for the tranny cross memeber. It's the fact that the tranny dosen't point down a little that is concerning me. Has anyone run into this situation doing a resto. I know one solution is a constant velocity (CV) shaft, and I plan on doing this, but even with the CV it looks as though I will need to do something else as well. I was wondering if the additional weight of the body and rest of the jeep will bring down the angle? My other option is to lower down the transmission crossmember more. Anyone use more than a 1" drop on their crossmember to get proper angles? Any thoughts or sugestions will help.
Thanks
Ryan

You might want to call Tom Woods at tomwoods

Not only could he help you figure out your true pinion angle, but could also set you up with a CV shaft and or steeper shims.
Unread 11-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
bods7
1983 CJ7 

Nv

Thats a great site. I will have to call him when I can come up with the cash to put what i need thanks
bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.