Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today!

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Romain 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Been having trouble with my 84 CJ7 with the amc 2.5 with it not starting due to no spark. Replaced the module, tried different coils, even a new pick up coil. After replacing the pick up coil it ran. Now this Jeep has been in my garage for over a year so no miles were put on it because it was only in the last few months it was even together.(frame off rebuild). Well, it started up about 3 weeks ago, and went to start it up last week to take it outside to wash it after wet sanding in preperation for paint, and no spark again. :brickwall. I was ready to rip the whole wiring harness out and start over. but instead I got online and got the details of the Nutter bypass and decided to give a try. Did it today and it fired right up and ran smoother than it did before (the few times it actually ran that is). Super easy mod to do. On the 6 cyl. version, the bypass talked about adjusting the stepper motor on the carb, but I don't think my carb for the 2.5 has one. Or does it? I can tell I need to fine tune the timing now, but overall I am super happy that I don't have to rewire this thing! I am now trying to convince my buddy who has a 90 YJ with the 258 to do the same thing. His has a once in a while engine dieing problem, and all the usual suspects have already been replaced. Thanks.

#3 ·
There may be a mixture control solenoid on your carb. It may look like a round can hanging down off the side of it?

If so, and I haven't had one apart to see, it may be electric or vacuum controlled. If there are no wires to this can, then I would just set the idle mix and timing and try it to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.