Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
79cherokee

Nutter'ed my 84 CJ7 2.5 today!

Hey all,

Been having trouble with my 84 CJ7 with the amc 2.5 with it not starting due to no spark. Replaced the module, tried different coils, even a new pick up coil. After replacing the pick up coil it ran. Now this Jeep has been in my garage for over a year so no miles were put on it because it was only in the last few months it was even together.(frame off rebuild). Well, it started up about 3 weeks ago, and went to start it up last week to take it outside to wash it after wet sanding in preperation for paint, and no spark again. . I was ready to rip the whole wiring harness out and start over. but instead I got online and got the details of the Nutter bypass and decided to give a try. Did it today and it fired right up and ran smoother than it did before (the few times it actually ran that is). Super easy mod to do. On the 6 cyl. version, the bypass talked about adjusting the stepper motor on the carb, but I don't think my carb for the 2.5 has one. Or does it? I can tell I need to fine tune the timing now, but overall I am super happy that I don't have to rewire this thing! I am now trying to convince my buddy who has a 90 YJ with the 258 to do the same thing. His has a once in a while engine dieing problem, and all the usual suspects have already been replaced. Thanks.

Unread 10-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

the nutter bypass worked very well on my 258...

im a huge fan and advocate...

best mod i ever did for around 5 dollars in wire...
Unread 10-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There may be a mixture control solenoid on your carb. It may look like a round can hanging down off the side of it?

If so, and I haven't had one apart to see, it may be electric or vacuum controlled. If there are no wires to this can, then I would just set the idle mix and timing and try it to see.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.